Plucking vs Molting

Moderator: Mods

alia_sa13

Plucking vs Molting

Post by alia_sa13 »

I am very concerned about my bird. I have noticed that more of his tail feathers are gone. I see him as he is cleaning himself but more and more of his tail feathers are gone! His feathers everywhere else seem fine. He is only 3 months old and I have owned him for about a month, so i understand he is still growing his feathers out but when i first got him he had a lot of long tail feathers. Is there any reason why this is happening? Should he see a vet? (I have attached a picture to show what I am talking about.)

Thanks,

Alia
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (31.73 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
ringneck
Site Admin

Very concerned about my bird

Post by ringneck »

Hey alia_sa13,

Would you be so kind to upload more photos? I really can't tell from that picture. I can tell you though that it seems the tail is broken. This is quite typical of younger ringnecks as they are much more flighty. In my experience, they tend to crash into things or break their tails easily. Devri broke her tail right after she weaned and I had to wait a full year before her next molt for it grow out.

As for the chest area, I'm not sure. This is how Osiris started out. Then he started flipping his feathers on his chest. Does your bird get a few weakly baths?

The most important thing to do now is to ignore it. I really mean this, even when your bird is preening. If it bothers you so much, just walk outside the room. Don't give your bird any attention for it.

I got baby monitors so I could watch my bird. Don't stress too much okay, if it is feather mutilation, then now is the time to act with our advice!

We are here for you. :)

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C

P.S. But, it could just be a stat of your baby's first molt. Again, don't worry, okay? :wink:

I also spit this topic into a new post too. :)