Plucking vs Molting

Moderator: Mods

Melika

Plucking vs Molting

Post by Melika »

To help ease some worries, here are some pictures to help you see the difference.

This is molting:

Notice that while some areas can look bad (sometimes a molt can be very heavy!), you can see the new 'pin' feathers coming in. One time when my sister left town and I was looking after Tsume, I glanced into his cage and immediately thought he was sick and dying- he was just molting that heavily!

Plucking looks more like this:

Notice the bald patches on Hane's wing and belly. There may also be bald patches under the wings, on the legs, and on the back but not on the head. Since birds use the beak to pluck out feathers, the head usually looks perfectly normal. Some birds may also pull out tail feathers but will typically leave the long feathers of the wing for flying.

Some parrots will only pluck out the vaned feathers and leave the down feathers behind, resulting in fluffy gray/white patches of feathers. You can still see the distinction between this and molting my determining if there are any pin feathers or not. Absence of pin feathers (new feathers growing in) is more indicative of plucking.

IF your bird is also losing feathers on his head and there are no pin feathers or the pins look deformed in any way, please quarantine and take your bird to a vet and have him checked for disease or malnutrition. Don't freak out, just do it, it could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency but it is best to be certain!

Hope this helps!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Re: Plucking vs Molting

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks you Melika, jolly good, is feather plucking due to boredom, a mite infestation or both?
Melika

Post by Melika »

AJPeter wrote:Thanks you Melika, jolly good, is feather plucking due to boredom, a mite infestation or both?
There is no one cause of feather plucking. It could be diet, hormones, parasites, or behavioral or any and all of these. It's a very complex issue.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Molting can be a dificult time for birds, my hen went through a molt lossing her tail feathers twice, she had beautifil tail feathers 20" long these came out and were replaced by 14" long but these came out to and were replaced with very short feathers which have now grown a bit longer. I think becasue her cage is smaller she had grown feather to fit the cage.

Hang on to see what other people have to say, and do not worry.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Melika you are amazing! Such a wonderful post! :) 8)

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C