Plucking feathers and scratching

Moderator: Mods

Fay-rose

Plucking feathers and scratching

Post by Fay-rose »

Please help!!
My baby's name is Skye. Skye is a year old now and has started plucking his/her feathers for about 2 months now. I first noticed the thinning of feathers on the head but then it progressed to Skye plucking his neck,whole front body and back, not forgetting under the wings. Skye seems to be itching and sometimes frantically pecks at the feathers on the body.

I have been given Stop-Pluck spray and some Feather oil but this does not seem to be helping. I have also De-wormed Skye.

Pet-shop says it might be Beak and Feather and do not want to touch him for fear of a little feather on their clothes that in turn might affect their birds. But I visit my sister who also has ring-necks and none of them have diplayed any signs of having contracted B&F from Skye.

I forgot to mention that when Skye was approx 1 month old his Tail feathers fell out and it has still not grown back. Skye is also extremely small compared to other Ringnecks.

Can't afford a Avian vet - now what? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Skyes_crew

Re: Plucking feathers and scratching

Post by Skyes_crew »

The bird really needs to be seen by an avian vet. Is there anyone that could help with payment? I would also stop using those stop pluck sprays as sometimes it can make it worse by coating the feathers and causing even more preening and chewing of feathers. Can you send a pic to me to post? Arcticwolf1975@ hotmail . Com
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

This is Fay's bird.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It breaks my heart to post this picture knowing that this poor girls bird had PBFD. I am very sorry Fay.