Please note, there is not longer instant registration. All new users will need to request membership by registering first. Once registered, I'll contact you with further details to be approved. Spammers have hindered our wonderful little community here, for this reason, I had to remove instant membership access until the problem can be solved. Best wishes, IMRAN-C

IRN molting/pin feathers on head

Moderator: Mods

Cmcme

IRN molting/pin feathers on head

Post by Cmcme » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:33 am

My one year old IRN is going through his first molt and his head is covered in pin feathers. The issue is he doesn’t have a mate to help him with them and while he lets us hold him, he climbs all over us, talks to us, and preens us, he will not let us pet him (he never had liked it) and he won’t let us help with the pin feathers (he let me touch them for about 5 seconds and I felt around to make sure none of them bothered him and they didn’t, so I’m assuming they’re ready). What do I do?

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: IRN molting/pin feathers on head

Post by ringneck » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Do nothing. You're little fella will naturally shed away the tube feathers himself. :P They will flake off by scratching, bathing, rubbing his head on his feathers while preening, etc.

It takes roughly about a month!

Best wishes,

IMRAN-C