Breeding pairs

Moderator: Mods

Goldelocs

Breeding pairs

Post by Goldelocs »

Hi, I am new here and have some questions about Breeding pairs. I curently have 4 Ringnecks and an Alex. I am planning to start breeding a few pairs of ringnecks My Lutino Hen and Green male had two ckicks a few years ago and produced two green chicks. One of those a hen is currently with my Blue male. If i were to breed her with the male next season what colour chicks would I likley get?
I have also been considering getting a new male to pair up with my Lutino Hen, and would like some sugestions as to what colours would be good to pair up with her, I would like to try and avoid producing too many green chicks.
I have also seen a breeding pair of IRNs for sale at an aviary centre, The male is a Silver and the hen appears to be a lace wing not sure as to what colour, she is a lovely silver grey on her body with light yellow throughout and has a light yellow head and tail. Any suggestions as to what colour she may be and what colour babies could be possible? (I know it's hard without a pic)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
rick_s0910

Re: Breeding pairs

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello and welcome,

Well, with your pairs, you can expect lots of greens. Here are the predictions...

Green male x Lutino female
Green/ino males and Green females

Blue male x Green female
Green/blue males and females

Now, if the other green (the baby from the Green x Lutino pair) is a male, any female you breed him with will give you Lutino female babies. I would suggest you pair the Blue male with the Lutino which will give you Green/blue/ino males and Green/blue females. If you pair one of those babies with an Albino female you will get Green/blue/ino, Blue, Lutino, Albino. Or with any
Blue to get Green and Blue- Turquoise to get Green, Blue, and Turquoise-
Grey to get Green, Grey-green, Blue, and Grey-
Turquoise Grey to get Green, Blue, Turquoise, Grey, Grey-green and Turquoise Grey
and all the males can have ino babies.
And the birds you saw, I would need more info on the ''Silver'' male. The female does sound like a pallid aka lacewing. I think she would be a Pallid Turquoise Grey. I posted a reply with some pics of one I have. Check the thread tittled Help!!!! what color. I also have pics of all my birds, just click on the link on my signature. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions...
Goldelocs

Post by Goldelocs »

Hi Thankyou for your reply. I had a look at the pics you suggested and the hen I saw would definatley be a Pallid Turqouise Grey. Upon looking a heaps of pics on other sites last night I feel the male she was with is actually a grey pallid.
I am considering getting a new male to pair with my lutino hen, any suggestions as to colours?
Thanks again :)
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Well, do you know if she is split to blue? If she isnt, you cant directly get many colors from her. BUT you can get several colors from their babies. I would suggest you find a Blue/ino for your Lutino hen.

Blue/ino (m) x Lutino (f)

Green/blue/ino
Lutino/blue Males

Green/blue
Lutino/blue Females

and then you can get the green babies and pair them to Creamino or Albino hen to produce...

Green/blue/ino (m) x Creamino (f) Green/blue/ino (m) x Albino (f)

Green/turquoise/ino** Green/blue/ino**
Green/blue/ino** Blue/ino**
Blue/ino** Albino
Turquoise/ino** Lutino/blue
Lutino/turquoise
Lutino/blue
Albino
Creamino

Males and females **EXCEPT** that the FEMALES can NOT and will NOT be split to ino. There is no visual difference between split to blue or split to turquoise.

The Lutino/blue males can be paird with a Blue hen to get

Lutino/blue (m) x Blue (f)

50% Green/blue/ino 50% Lutino/blue
50% Blue/ino 50% Albino
Males Females

All the males that are /ino will give you ino females regardless of what color you pair them up with. If they are split to blue and you pair them with a blue, they will produce ALBino and with any greens will produce LUTino. Thats why its just left as split to ino.

Best of luck,
Goldelocs

Post by Goldelocs »

Thankyou for all of your help, It has given me lots to consider