Misty Babies?

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Misty Babies?

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello everyone! **New Pics in comments**

Does anyone have any experience with Misty Indian Ringnecks? Last year, I bought a breeding pair from a woman who knew nothing about them. I have some experience, breeding Ringneck mutations, but these babies have me stumped. I believe the male is a Misty Blue and the female is a Pallid Green/blue. One of the babies looks cinnamon green or Grey-green but the parents arent grey and the feather quils and shafts look black! The other baby looks Violet! And the tail feathers look like cinnamon or pallid blue but the parents arent violet! Is this how Misty babies look or could they be Pallid Misty? I know, the color will be more obvious in a few days, but the wait is killing me.

Last edited by rick_s0910 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Re: Misty Babies?

Post by Kappa »

Hi Rick,

Judging by your breeding results, and the colours of the parents, I believe you have a violet green pallid hen. This explains the violet chick and the other appears to be a violet green misty.

Cheers.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

She was sold to me as a Pallid Green and the male as a wierd blue lol. I was pretty sure he was Misty as soon as I saw him, but never thought about her being Violet! That makes it all clear now! Thank you very much for your help!
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

This is how they look now! Is the green one a Misty Grey-green or Misty Violet Green? Ive been told it looks like a Misty Grey-green or Misty Violet Grey-green, but I think it looks too light. In sunlight, its color is similar to a Cinnamon (almost looks like avocado green) it does look a bit darker, indoors, but its much lighter than a Grey-green I used to have. Is the other one a normal Violet Blue?

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Rick,

Your comment that it could be a a violet grey green made me think of an alternative I didn't consider. The hen could in fact be a grey green, but masking violet. This will still support your results.

The updated photos definitely support the fact that the chick is grey green and not violet green. There is no violet in the tail feathers. It could however be masking violet, so keep that in mind.

The lighter colour is the result of the misty gene. There is a very obvious difference between normal grey green and misty grey green. Misty has more of a pronounced effect on darker colours. As for the other chick, from those photos, it appears to be a normal violetblue. Just to be sure compare it to another violetblue. Violet blue misty looks more like a dark blue than a violetblue.

Cheers.