Is it a Misty Blue?

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Is it a Misty Blue?

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello everybody! I recently purchased a pair of ringnecks and I'm trying to figure out what color the male is. I'm leaning towards Misty Blue but since I've never really seen one before, I'm not 100% sure. Here are some pics...
Kappa

Re: Is it a Misty Blue?

Post by Kappa »

Hi Rick,

Looks like a Khaki. Very nice looking bird. Nice pick up.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thanks Kappa! I hate to bother you more, but what is the difference between khaki and misty? Does it have to do with how it is inherited? I have a some knowledge on how IRN genetics work, but I have never encountered a khaki. Also, it is paired, with that pallid female. The person who sold it to me had no knowledge of their genetic background. Is khaki dominant/co-dominant? Will it make pallids look bad? Am I better off with just placing him with a normal blue hen? I have several mutations that I could pair him with. Sorry for all the questions.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

I just found a 2013 thread where you explain this, Kappa! ^:)^ Very interesting! I guess it just leaves me with one question. In your opinion, what would be the best mutation female to pair him with?
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Rick,
I haven't been able to get accurate information regarding the difference between Misty and Khaki. Some breeders feel that they are separate mutations, while others believe that they are the same just called by different names depending on where you live. Then there are others again, who feel that they are alleles (a variation of the same gene.)

Since it is not a "pretty" mutation, not much time has been invested in getting a better understanding of this mutation, and as a result not much is known about it. I find these obscure mutations intriguing, and worth spending time on as they offer up more surprises than we realise. (I purchased a Palehead this season, but unfortunately out of 4 chicks, not 1 came out a Palehead.) This is what keeps the game interesting for me.

I would pair him to a violet factor hen in either blue or green series. Dark in blue or green series would work well to, then again emeraldblue would be nice as well. As you can see you have lots of options.

Pallid would not be an option I would use, but that's just my opinion. I think you will lose the nice contrast in colour between the head and body of the bird.

Hope this helps you with some of your questions. Good luck with breeding him.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

That's interesting. I've never seen a palehead. I guess I'm gonna put mine with a violet female. Thank you very much for your help. Good luck with your pairs as well!