Can someone ID these mutations?

Moderator: Mods

Karen145

Can someone ID these mutations?

Post by Karen145 »

I'm looking at buying a couple of young ringnecks but I'm unsure of the coloration. One looks like turquoise and the other some sort of grey. Can anyone identify these for me?
Attachments
ringnecks2.jpg
ringnecks2.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
ringnecks1.jpg
ringnecks1.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
rick_s0910

Re: Can someone ID these mutations?

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hi there! To me they look like a Turquoise blue and a Turquoise Grey
Karen145

Post by Karen145 »

So does that mean the Turquoise is split to blue? Or that it's got two blue genes but the Turquoise is masking the blue? Just trying to figure everything out so I can input it correctly in my genetics calculator.

Also, how do you know if a grey is single or double factor? Is there any way to tell visually?
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Turquoise is dominant towards blue. You can say it's combined, but in the genetic calculator you put it in as turquoise split to blue. You only put turquoise by itself if it is a DF turquoise. As for knowing if Grey is DF, you can't tell by looking at it. You'll find out because all your babies will be grey.
Last edited by rick_s0910 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karen145

Post by Karen145 »

Thank you Rick!

I'm also talking to a breeder that has this bird available. She's calling it "teal." Parents are "Dad was blue. Mom was green body yellow head grey wing tips." and it has "cobalt gray wingtips." Definitely looks darker than blue but I'm not sure what it is.
teal IRN.jpg
teal IRN.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

I have some knowledge on how ringneck genetics work, but just from reading. I'm not great at visually guessing all mutations. I personally haven't heard of teal. Green body, yellow head and Grey wing tips sounds like a Pallid hen. Since he's blue, the mom has to be split to blue. As for the Blue dad... there's several variations of the blue mutation: Blue, Deep Blue, Dark factor Blue (Cobalt). In the blue series I have only owned blue and recently violets and a Misty/khaki blue, But like I said, I'm not great at visually telling them apart. I only have two Violets and they both look different. Sadly I can't tell if one is regular violet and the other one a Violet Cobalt or a DF Violet. They're the only 2 violet ringnecks I've ever seen in person lol
Karen145

Post by Karen145 »

Thanks. Unfortunately a lot of the people I've approached don't even seem to know what they have themselves, which is frustrating to say the least. I don't want to be one of them so I'm trying my best to identify anything coming into my aviaries.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

I know what you mean. I've seen ringnecks advertised as neon green and to me it looked like a normal green! The closest I've seen to "neon" or "highlighter" green/blue and only in pictures, are opalines.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Idk if you've seen this site before, http://www.psittacula-world.com/EN/Muta ... rameri.htm but it has pics of some mutations and descriptions on how they look. It also includes how the mutation is inherited. Some mutations have a link that says "series " it takes you to different variations of the same mutation. I hope it helps
Karen145

Post by Karen145 »

Thanks! That's one reference I didn't have.