Confused about Genetics. Help?

Moderator: Mods

Conure Country

Confused about Genetics. Help?

Post by Conure Country »

Hi, I am curious about Indian Ringneck Mutations. Koda is a Blue male. His parents are a Blue Male and a Turquoise Hen. I'm trying to figure out which mutation to pair him with if I decide to breed him. I've used the genetic calculator but it says the offspring from a Blue Male to Turquoise hen (his parents) would be Turquoise Blue chicks. I remember Koda's siblings were Turquoise and he was the only Blue male in the clutch. Would Koda be split to Turquoise or is that even possible? Ringneck Genetics are confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave Jacas

Re: Confused about Genetics. Help?

Post by Dave Jacas »

Your boy is straight blue Turquoise is dominant to blue. Blue cannot be split Turquoise
SilverSage

Post by SilverSage »

He is blue with no turquoise. If his mother had been DF turquoise (carrying two turquoise genes) all her offspring with a blue would be SF turquoise (aka TurquoiseBlue).

A blue bird is a great place to start if you want to breed some pretty IRNs. The hen you should pair him to depends on what you want to get as a result. I'm partial to Violets myself, so I would pair him to a Violet hen. If you use a DF Violet hen, all the babies will be SF Violet (VioletBlue) If you use a SF Violet, you will get SF Violet chicks, and blue chicks.
mokhan65

Post by mokhan65 »

Can anyone guide me what colour of female I pair with my green/yellow pied male
I want babies have some other colours not just green/yellow
Thanks
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Mokhan65,

As the male is Green/lutino (yellow), you are going to be limited as to the colours you can produce. You do still have some options, with colours that are dominant, that will give you other green series colours. You can use grey, violetblue, and DarkBlue. With these you'll produce greygreen, violet green, and DarkGreen. All the chicks from these pairings will be split blue, so will give you more breeding options in the future.
Conure Country

Post by Conure Country »

Thanks for the responses. They are greatly appreciated. I haven't paired him yet but when or if I do I will most likey go with a violet or a grey turquoise. I love both.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello Mokhan65. Do you know if your bird is a dominant pied or recessive pied? Recessive pied ringnecks have a pied area (a patch) on the the back of the head. Do you know if he is split to blue or turquoise? What color are his parents?