Platinum or Pallid?

Moderator: Mods

Kappa

Platinum or Pallid?

Post by Kappa »

Hi everyone,

This season I bred 2 odd looking chicks. From hatching and up until 3 and a half weeks of age they appeared in every way as being normal lutinos, red eyes, pink feet, everything you'd expect.

It wasn't until some colour showed up that I noticed the difference. The colour of the growing feathers was a very pale, subdued yellow. Not the rich vibrant yellow of a lutino.

At about 5 weeks, it became very obvious that they were not lutinos, but didn't fit the description of a pallid either. The head is yellow, the body is a soft yellow-green slightly more green in the rump, and some yellow in the flights. There is no melanin in the flights or feather shafts. No brown undertone that you'd expect from pallid or cinnamon.

The best description would be the phenotype of a pallidino, but as they are hens this is not possible.

They are bred out of a green/ino, or so I thought, cock and a green/blue hen. The one possibility that seems to make sense is that they may be Platinum. From the description in Deon Smiths' book, these chicks developed the same as he describes, and the "Inbetween" ino and pallid phenotype also seems to fit.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Cheers.
Molossus2

Re: Platinum or Pallid?

Post by Molossus2 »

Looks like you have some pallidinos there ..
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Yes, I agree, if they were cocks. As they are hens the question remains. :D
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Kappa,

It could be a very well marked Turquoise-SL-Ino. Did the parents produce any parblue offspring previously?

Regards

Recio
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Recio,

I have had this cock for two seasons and was unsure of his genetic back ground.

I have bred him with two different hens. First hen in 2014 was a blue and they had 4 chicks. 3 green and 1 red eyed which died at about day 2. This allowed me to identify that he is split for a SL mutation, but I couldn't be sure which it was. I went with what I believed to be the most likely and assumed ino.

This season I put him with a green/blue hen, and they produced 1 green and 2 of these pallidino looking hens. So no turquoise offspring yet.

I have had turquoise inos in the past, and they were always patchy, except for the df turquoise ino which had a smooth rich yellow colour, not patchy. They also never expressed a green tint to the body.

These chicks' colour is a smooth even colour, not patchy. Also it's hard to capture in photos, there is a distinct brighter yellow head (like a pallid ), in contrast to the pale yellow with faint green wash over the body. They are much lighter than pallids, lighter than lutino, and not pallidino.

Better quality, updated photos to come. :)
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Kappa,
I give you 10 to 1 . Keep the youngster..breed her and produce pallid cocks..
you wont be the first.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Lee,

I think that'll be the only logical thing to do, in order to know one way or another. Your probably right, they could be nothing more than poorly coloured pallids. :D
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Kappa not a poor colored pallid..the red eye and light hue = pallid ino..you will not be the first to breed pallid ino hens...the problem lies with those that theorise that its impossible..there is either a new theory to argue the old one or a new mutation name for these pallid ino hens.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Sorry Lee,

I misunderstood your post. Pallidino hens, why not. I like to think outside of the box.

Besides, I know of breeding results from other breeders which have not followed the theoretically accepted breeding principles. It is why I like to keep an open mind, and accept that these anomalies prove we don't quite know everything, despite what we may think, about how genetics work.

Further breeding result are required, and outcomes will add weight to the possibility of "pallidino" hens, or not.

What of the platinum, is it an accepted mutation? How much breeding has been done with them, and what are the findings of those results? Are they the same as these "pallidino" hens or not?

It would be good if we could get a response from those breeders who have worked with the platinum mutation. Sharing their experiences would be of great help.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Kappa I am not sure about the platinum .. I would think that the platinum wouldve been supported by breeding results and a detailed report substantiating its status..I have not seen this ..not sure if Tienie Carr can shed some light on this // I know he claimed to have this mutation.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Updated photos. As the photos show, very close to the lutino phenotype, but just that subtle green tint which highlights the yellow head.. It will be interesting to see if the green tint darkens as they mature.

I agree Lee, input from those who have had experience with Platiunum would be invaluable.

Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

growing really well..
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Thanks Lee :D
pambos

Post by pambos »

It could be pallid with NSL ino and produce the look of a pallidino in a female bird. That's actually possible since NSL ino does not bond on the same gene with pallid like the SL ino, and can explain the weird colouring.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Kappa.. well was I right or was I right??? :(|)