IRN breeding / mutation questions.

Moderator: Mods

Durisbane

IRN breeding / mutation questions.

Post by Durisbane »

Hi guys and girls kinda new to ringnecks and this forum, but was wondering if you could offer me your wisdom and advice.

I recently received 6 IRN parrots, I was told the colours were as follows:

1x DF Violet Cock (he is really dark)
1x SF Violet Hen (she has like green tinge to her head)

1x Pastel Blue Cock
1x Sky Blue Pallid Hen (lacewing) [sorry not sure if correct term is pallid or lacewing.]

1x Blue dominant edge Cock (not sure what dominant edge means)
1x Blue Cinnamon Hen (she looks much like the Blue Cock in terms of colour)

So my questions were, how should I pair them up?

The 2 Blue birds are quite fond of each, I have them separated in their own aviary and they have mated and he feeds her daily and does his little dance (which I love) they seem like they have bonded well and are always together on the perch and grooming each other, so I thought they would be a good pair.

Now recently the Pastel blue cock and the SF Violet hen have taken a liking to each other, the remaining 4 birds have been in the same aviary for a few days (I get my new aviary on Thursday) and I wondered how I should pair them up, what colours they would throw etc.

So I am asking for your advice and help here, I live in NSW Australia. Should I stick the 2 violets together? Or keep the pastel blue cock and the violet hen together as they have shown interest in each other (he was feeding her).

As I mentioned earlier I am quite new to IRN I originally bought the 2 blue birds and then had the other 4 given to me a few days ago from a deceased estate.

Also one last question I used the mutation/genetic calculator and was wondering if you would take the time to do it an post your results here so I can compare it with mine so I can see if I am using it correctly.

Sorry if this post is a little sloppy and all over the place, writing it from my phone.

Cheers,
Duris
Durisbane

Re: IRN breeding / mutation questions.

Post by Durisbane »

anyone?
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Duris,

If you kept the violet pair together, this is what would result (without seeing pics of the 'green tinge' on your hens head, I'm going to stick with what you have called her and use sf violet blue as her mutation):

1.0 blue violet(df)
x 0.1 blue violet(sf)
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue violet(df)
50.0% 1.0 blue violet(sf)
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue violet(df)
50.0% 0.1 blue violet(sf)

So 50% sf violets and 50% df violets for this pairing.

Your second pair, I'm unsure if your hen has in fact got cinnamon(sky) as well as pallid(lacewing) in her? (names in the brackets are the OLD terms, new terms are cinnamon and pallid. I'll do the calc's for both ways, first calc is without cinnamon in hen…..also, Pastelblue is old term, now known as Turquoiseblue:

1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue
x 0.1 blue pallid
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue /pallid
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue

And now hen with cinnamon also:
x 0.1 blue pallid cinnamon
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue /pallid-cinnamon
50.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid-cinnamon
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 turquoise(par blue)Blue

My feeling is that your hen is MOST likely to be just a blue pallid though - I believe a blue pallid cinnamon (sky blue lacewing) would be an extremely washed out blue colour, almost white, given that both cinnamon and pallid dilute the original colour.

Your third pair I'm not going to attempt to do the calc, as I'm not full bottle on the dom. edged mutation, and have been told that the GenCalc doesn't accurately calculate for this mutation as there are a few anomalies to consider. Someone more familiar with the mutation might be able to help out there.

Another thing to remember, is that neither your Blue Pallid hen or Cinnamon Blue hen can pass on the pallid or cinnamon mutation VISUALLY to their offspring - the male chicks will carry it as a split though.

Of the six pairs you have, though, my favourite pairing would be to put the Turquoiseblue cock over the sf Violetblue hen. You'd get some very nice Turquoiseblue Violets :)

x 0.1 blue violet(sf)
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 blue
25.0% 1.0 blue violet(sf)
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf)
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 blue violet(sf)
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf)

Of course that then leaves your df Violetblue cock with the Blue Pallid hen, which will only give you sf Violetblue's, with the male chicks being split to pallid…….

Hope this helps somewhat :D
Regards Deb
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Duris
This late in the season I would simply pair up those that seem to be getting on well together and not worry too much about the colour of the outcomes. I can help you with the genetics in due course if others don't get you sorted with the genetic calculator. I too am from NSW and by now all mine would usually have finished laying weeks ago. However, this year is odd and they are running very late.
Kind regards
Mike
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

halo
I have a curious situation, I have a Cleartail pair that waspaired up first time this year.
this female has now laid already 13 eggs.
Can there be a problem with the female, do i take some of the eggs out.
I have never heard of a ringneck laying so many eggs.

Regards
Buks
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Buks,

That is extremely rare.
Do you have an incubator? or Foster hens laying at the same time?
I would take about 7 place in the incubator and most probably quiet a few will be infertile,
after say 10 days you remove all infertile eggs and replace them with the incubated fertile ones.
pretty sure hen will have trouble incubating properly all 13 and can start stop incubation.
If all end up fertile, lol you are on your won :D
Can you take a pic of the eggs for record?
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

hi
I will take picture tommorrow, i checked the nest again today and counted 14 eggs.
half the box is full of eggs.
I dont have an incubator and my other birds thats breeding is more worth than the cleartail pair.
My opalines and violets are going down second round with 4 eggs a piece.

Regards
Buks
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Halo
The pic as promised, The hen is a cleartail/blue.
Regards
Buks
Ridwaan

Post by Ridwaan »

Hi I'm new to this Would you know how to tell if irn is carrying eggs