What colours will I get?

Moderator: Mods

Clynos1

What colours will I get?

Post by Clynos1 »

Hi, as a newbie to IRN breeding I would like some assistance in finding out what colour offspring I am likely to get from the following pairings:
Pair 1
1-0 Cleartail Blue / Opaline (Father Cleartail Blue / Opaline, Mother, Cleartail Green / Blue)
0-1 Cleartail Violet (Father, Cleartail Violet, Mother, Cleartail Blue)

Pair2
1-0 Cleartail Violet / Opaline (Father,Cleatail Blue / Opaline, Mother, Cleartail Violet)
0-1 Cleartail Blue, (Father, Cleartail Cobalt, Mother, Cleartail Blue)

Pair3
1-0 Blue (Father & Mother Unknown)
0-1 Cinnamon / Pied / Blue, (Father, Pied Green / Cinnamon, Mother, Blue / Pied)

I have tried to work out the results using the Genetic Calculator discussed on this forum some time ago, but try as I might, I cannot convince myself that I am correct!

Any assistance would be greatly recieved

David
Kappa

Re: What colours will I get?

Post by Kappa »

Hi David,

Pairs 1 & 2 will give you the same off spring, that being blue cleartails, violet cleartails, and blue opaline cleartail hens and violet opaline cleartail hens. Having said that, I'm assuming that both cock birds are proven split for opaline, as the pairings they are sired from put the probability of them being split opaline at 50%.

Another option you have is to put the 2 violet cleartails together, so that you have the chance of breeding double factor violet offspring, much more valuable for future breeding purposes.

With pair 3, things are more difficult without knowing the cocks background. So with what we know you will breed blues and greens, any cocks will be split for cinnamon and also possible split for pied, the hens will be possible split for pied. Again, the assumption is that the pied is recessive pied. This pair could throw some surprises for you, depending if the cock is split for anything with sex linked inheritance.

I hope this helps.
Clynos1

Re: What colours will I get?

Post by Clynos1 »

Kappa, Many thanks.
I will look at my print outs from the Genetic Calculator, I think I may have got it right!!!!!
David