Violet(sf)Green, Dark(sf)Green or Violet(sf)Dark(sf)Green?

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

Violet(sf)Green, Dark(sf)Green or Violet(sf)Dark(sf)Green?

Post by sheyd »

Hi all, Hope the season is treating you all well :D

Does anyone have any of the above chicks in the age bracket of 3-5 weeks for me to compare my chick to?

Any thoughts on this chick? (3 weeks, 5 days.)

Thanks
Ring0Neck

Re: Violet(sf)Green, Dark(sf)Green or Violet(sf)Dark(sf)Gree

Post by Ring0Neck »

If i can read your pics correctly i'd say Violet(sf)Dark(sf)Green
give it a bit more time to be sure
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
madas

Post by madas »

If these (Violet(sf)Green, Dark(sf)Green or Violet(sf)Dark(sf)Green) are the odds then i would vote for the last option violet(sf) dark(sf) green.

for comparison a oliv pos. violet(sf) and a violet(sf) dark(sf) green (siblings). parents violet(sf) dark(sf) indigoBlue and oliv /blue. the violet(sf) dark(sf) green looks steps darker then the oliv bird. But unsure if the violet is violet or deep. But for sure both parents are dark factor birds because of the oliv offspring.

madas

Post by madas »

sheyd wrote: Image
Interesting color of the downs. Very dark grey. But could be the pic.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thankyou both for your replies.

I was also thinking that, going by the colour of the central tail feather, that she might be more than just Violet(sf) Green or Dark(sf)Green.

Madas, yes they can only be my possibilities. The dam carries neither Dark nor Violet. The sire must be a Dark(sf) Violet(sf) (Blue) if the chick is indeed a Dark Violet Green.
Thanks for the pics :D

I will post more as more is revealed..
Last edited by sheyd on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

madas wrote:
Interesting color of the downs. Very dark grey. But could be the pic.
I noticed it too in when I uploaded the pics- I cannot recall what colour it actually really is, but will have a good look tomorrow. It could well just be that it was caused by the particular angle of the camera at the time.

edit*
I had a look at the down today, and from the pics I took yesterday, this is the closest it looks like to my eye:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

today's pics 4 weeks, 2 days- still looking like a Violet Dark possibility?

I realize it might be hard going just by a single bird, so I'll include her (edged) siblings next week @5 weeks old.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Yes, I think its pretty safe to say that she's a Violet(sf) Dark(sf) Green :D

with her sires central tail feather

tail comparison with edged brother

with edged brothers
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Good job Shey :)

Nice birds n pics.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
madas

Post by madas »

sheyd wrote:Yes, I think its pretty safe to say that she's a Violet(sf) Dark(sf) Green :D
Looks like Violet(sf) Dark(sf) Green for me too. So congratulation.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thanks Ben & Madas :D

A recent flight pic-

pic in the nest (with flash)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Nice one Shey! :D
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thankyou Johan :)

Do you know if she would be considered as T1?

edit* actually if I'm correct in my thinking, she would have to be T1, because if she had of gotten a blue gene from her dam, she would have been blue instead of green series-

So, she got Dark, Violet and Blue crossed over from her sire which automatically makes her T1- Do I have this right?
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
The importance of /blueT 1 and /blueT2 is more relevant when trying to breed cobalt birds, from green series birds. However, since the sire already has the modified blue gene carrying the dark factor (dark linked to blue), he will pass them on as one. This means she will be a /blueT2.

A darkgreen/blueT1 will have inherited the dark gene from 1 parent and the blue from the other as separate genes and therefore can also pass them on separately.

The advantage of a /blueT2 is that it greatly increases the percentages of producing cobalt birds as opposed blue birds. In blue series offspring, a dark green/blueT2 x blue mating gives 42% chance of cobalt chicks and 8% chance of blue.

With T1, a dark green/blueT1 x blue will give the reverse, 42% chance of blue, and 8% chance of cobalt.

The opposite scenario happens when dealing with green series birds. T1 pairing will produce 42% dark green/ blue and 8% green/blue. Where as a T2 pairing will produce 42% green/blue and 8% dark green/blue.

That's how it's been explained to me. Clear as mud I know :lol: , but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Congrats, Shey …… beautiful bird - will be a stunner :D Are you keeping her for future breeding?
Regards Deb
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Kappa wrote:Hi Shey,
The importance of /blueT 1 and /blueT2 is more relevant when trying to breed cobalt birds, from green series birds. However, since the sire already has the modified blue gene carrying the dark factor (dark linked to blue), he will pass them on as one. This means she will be a /blueT2.

A darkgreen/blueT1 will have inherited the dark gene from 1 parent and the blue from the other as separate genes and therefore can also pass them on separately.

The advantage of a /blueT2 is that it greatly increases the percentages of producing cobalt birds as opposed blue birds. In blue series offspring, a dark green/blueT2 x blue mating gives 42% chance of cobalt chicks and 8% chance of blue.

With T1, a dark green/blueT1 x blue will give the reverse, 42% chance of blue, and 8% chance of cobalt.

The opposite scenario happens when dealing with green series birds. T1 pairing will produce 42% dark green/ blue and 8% green/blue. Where as a T2 pairing will produce 42% green/blue and 8% dark green/blue.

That's how it's been explained to me. Clear as mud I know :lol: , but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D
Thanks Paul---Thanks for that :) think I'll have to let that all sink in a bit lol.
willowisp71 wrote:Congrats, Shey …… beautiful bird - will be a stunner :D Are you keeping her for future breeding?
Thanks Deb :) Yes, I'm keeping her (how can I not? I thinks she's stunning :D )
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

sheyd wrote:Thankyou Johan :)

What mutations do the parents carry?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:

Hi Johan, sire is a Violet(sf) Dark(sf) Blue, and dam is a Green Cinnamon SL Edged
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

6 weeks- violet colouring coming in on rump

The two SL Edged cocks- I'm fairly confident both are Violet(sf) Green rather than Dark(sf) Green- but why one is 'greener' than the other has me a bit puzzled- any thoughts?

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

sheyd wrote:
Johan S wrote:

Hi Johan, sire is a Violet(sf) Dark(sf) Blue, and dam is a Green Cinnamon SL Edged
In that case, Kappa got it right. (Very) Roughly 4/5 dark green offspring will be T2 and ready to breed high percentage cobalt and low percentage dark green. There is a small chance (roughly 1/5) that another crossing over occurred (a second crossing over, or decrossing over canceling the first of the sire) and the dark green offspring are now T1. Only testbreeding will determine which offspring are which.

PS: I'm not including violet in the discussion, which is an independent gene when considering blue and dark.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
How do they look in person? I don't know if it's the lighting or angle of the photo, however, from the last photo you posted, I would say that they are different. The one on the left is either violet dark green, or dark green. It's definitely darker and has more of a blue sheen, which you get with dark green. Even the flights and tail look darker. The chick on the right I would go with violet green.

Tough call because of the diluting quality of edged.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:
In that case, Kappa got it right. (Very) Roughly 4/5 dark green offspring will be T2 and ready to breed high percentage cobalt and low percentage dark green. There is a small chance (roughly 1/5) that another crossing over occurred (a second crossing over, or decrossing over canceling the first of the sire) and the dark green offspring are now T1. Only testbreeding will determine which offspring are which.

PS: I'm not including violet in the discussion, which is an independent gene when considering blue and dark.
Thanks for that Johan :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Kappa wrote:Hi Shey,
How do they look in person? I don't know if it's the lighting or angle of the photo, however, from the last photo you posted, I would say that they are different. The one on the left is either violet dark green, or dark green. It's definitely darker and has more of a blue sheen, which you get with dark green. Even the flights and tail look darker. The chick on the right I would go with violet green.

Tough call because of the diluting quality of edged.
the differences have always been there, but it is subtle (imo) I don't have a Cobalt to compare the tail feathers too either :(- I just asked my other half if same or different and I got same lol. Yes, having being also edged is blurring things up a bit- but I don't think the more 'olivy' looking one is carrying two structural mutations- as the tail feathers don't compare to that of his sister's.-

I didn't know Dark Greens got a blue sheen- I thought it was only the violets that got that, so thanks for that :)

We'll see what they look like fully feathered- which should be in 1 weeks time.

PS I haven't directly compared their flights, but will try and get a good shot of both together when I have some more hands.

here's another shot-
madas

Post by madas »

Looks like two distinct phenotypes. SL Edged b irds in dark(sf) green and violet(sf) green. :)
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
Much better photo, and the difference is even more obvious. I agree with Madas, 1 violet green and the other dark green. That Olive, muddy colour is the violet green.

Been eating carrots much? :lol:
I can send you some cobalt tail feathers after seasons end, if you like.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thankyou both- the differences really are quite subtle.... but then I've been told that sometimes it is hard to pick between a Cobalt and a Violet(sf) Blue even when in the same nest- incidentally from the same line as these chicks.

I tried getting a pic of both edged chicks wings together, but since they're at the high risk stage of taking off, the pics did not turn out well because I had to bring them inside. I do however have a pic of one of their flights which I took a week or so earlier which I'll upload below.

Re:Cobalt feather ~ Paul that would be great :D

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
I agree that the edged has made it more difficult, but as you have mentioned the line of dark your sire comes from could complicate things further. I have 2 cobalt cocks from 2 sources, 1 is possibly from the same line as yours and he has a lot of violet showing in the back of his head and neck(bred directly from an imported European cobalt hen), where as with the other it's just noticeable.

I will send you tail feathers from both, as 1 cobalt is darker than the other.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thought I'd share an update- as of yesterday all chicks have fully fledged.

more pics will follow..
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Those are very good looking, healthy youngsters. Looks like fantastic parents.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:Those are very good looking, healthy youngsters. Looks like fantastic parents.
Thanks Johan :D