Violet wing coloration?

Moderator: Mods

Wild_brumby

Violet wing coloration?

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi guys,

I've just recently purchased a violet female(?). I have never had a violet before, and just wondering if this wing coloration is normal??

Thank you,
Sarah
Attachments
image.jpg
Ring0Neck

Re: Violet wing coloration?

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Sarah,

That bird is Edged Violet
A normal Violet has dark flight feathers.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

An edged violet? Ok, so what does that mean...? Sorry.... :(

Breeding wise, would she still produce regular offspring like a regular violet would or....? As i was looking at pairing her with my cobalt next year.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

You need to make sure it is a hen, from the wing pic it looks dark for an edged hen.
how old is the bird?

You will get normal violets in hens, all males will carry the edged mutation

If you are pairing this bird to a cobalt you'll get:

==================================
1,0 Cobalt x 0,1 Edged Violet blue
==================================
Male offspring

1,0 25% Edged blue
1,0 25% Edged Cobalt
1,0 25% Edged Violet
1,0 25% Edged Violet Cobalt
----------------------------------
Hens offspring

0,1 25% blue
0,1 25% Cobalt
0,1 25% Violet
0,1 25% Violet Cobalt
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Ok, so edge is a mutation then?? Can't say I have ever heard of it.....? That being said, I've just looked in my book and it's all listed in their hehe

I was told she is about 12 months old. The people I bought her from just said she was female as that is what the breeder told her. I do plan on getting her DNA tested in the next few weeks anyway.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Breeder could erronously ID this bird as Cinnamon violet aka Lavender hence he is nest sexing the bird a hen.
Get the bird DNA sexed yep.

Nice bird BTW, congrats.
I'm an Explorer
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Ah ok then. Well, I'll defiantly be getting him/her DNA sexed now.

Thanks you so much for your help! Makes me think I got a real bargain yesterday, as I payed very little for this bird...
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Yes Bargain.
Most breeders don't understand Edged and confuse it for Cinnamon
most times they pair it to a real cinnamon and in OZ most of edged birds are now combined with cinnamon, for this reason leaving clean edged birds a rarity.
(If your bird turns out a male it would not surprise me if it is also split cinnamon)
I'm an Explorer
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Ok, now I am confuse about this edge mutation.....? I've just spoken to another lady who breeds IRN regarding this mutation.....

You've got listed that if I bred her (assuming female) with my male cobalt, all male offspring will have the edge mutation. However this lady I've spoken to said both male and female offspring can possibly show the edge mutation? She says it's a dominant mutation?

Sorry, slightly confused is all....?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Edged is a a Sex Linked Dominant mutation (Heterosomal Dominant)

a hen due to sex link will breed all males edged & they are visual because it is a dominant mutation
an edged male will do however breed 50% edged in femlaes and males.
I'm an Explorer
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Ok, so if she is indeed female, all male offspring will be edged, females will be straight colours. However if she is indeed a he, offspring will be 50/50 edged male and female as well as straight coloured male and female? or will all offspring be edged?

Gets so confusing sometimes haha
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

If Male Yes
offspring will be 50/50 edged male and female as well as straight coloured male and female
I'm an Explorer
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Ah,ok then. That makes sense! :D Thank you so much for your help, sorry for all the questions! :? Though, at least I've got my head wrapped around the edged mutation now lol
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

No problem. You're welcome.
as they say "Question everything"
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

yep, I agree with Ringo- it's a Violet SL Edged. They are actually very common- most of the time when you're looking for a true Cinnamon you'll find these instead (wrongly being advertised as such).

I also think that your bird is a cock going by that shot.
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi Sheyd,

May I ask how or why you both suspect male judging by the colouration? I thought ringnecks could only be sexed via DNA or once mature? Apart from the sex linked gene and whether they are male or female depending on parents etc?

Thanks heaps!
Sarah