Is it Ok to keep to IRN in the same room

Moderator: Mods

yellowbirdbaby

Is it Ok to keep to IRN in the same room

Post by yellowbirdbaby »

Right now my little terror is an only bird, she is the largest in the house besides the two parakeets that are my sisters. I found an adorable little guy and was wondering if it was OK to keep their cages seperate at two different sides of the room facing each other or is their something else i should do?
thanks
kate.
MissK

Re: Is it Ok to keep to IRN in the same room

Post by MissK »

Hi Kate,

Please be specific - what are the species, what are the cages, how big is the room, how do they feel about each other?
-MissK
yellowbirdbaby

Post by yellowbirdbaby »

They would be two indian ringnecks the rooms is roughly twelve feet , his cage is unkown at the moment because we are still deciding whether it would be a good idea to room them together.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I would say it is almost a requirement to keep them in the same room. Isolation isn't very good for them
MissK

Post by MissK »

Kate, lots of people have different stories about how their opposite gender IRNs are getting along. I think conventional wisdom indicates to keep the girls apart during testy nesty times, but mixed gender pairs may be strongly driven to mate OR hate. I guess you make your choice and support it as best you can.

InTheAir and Ellieelectrons both have one girl and one boy. Sunni Dai has a small mixed flock, I believe three girls and a boy. Donovan and I have each chosen to keep two boys. Maybe you can read the various threads and get a feel for how it is to live with the various gender pairings. I agree with Donovan that the IRN is a social species ( often described as gregarious) and certainly stands to benefit from a conspecific companion. My IRN had the company of Budgies, and he selected one of them to have a crush on, but when the new Ringneck came into the house it was clear that having another Ringneck was a whole different ball game. They took to each other like long lost pals. **NOTE, not all do that - your mileage may vary.

I believe if the birds get along well, housing them side by side would probably be best, so long as there is a sight barrier available in at least part of the cage so either one can get out of sight and have private time from the other. I, of course, am not following my own advice. I had a sight barrier between the cages with the intent of reducing it bit by bit over time. However, the birds seemed really keen to see each other, and they appear thrilled with each other, so I removed the sight barrier. I am relying, instead, on their option to put actual distance between themselves. Either one can get five feet from the other by going to the far end of the cage. The cages are about four inches apart, so they can get that close if they want, and they do want. I placed food cups so they can eat "together" and they are enjoying that.
-MissK
yellowbirdbaby

Post by yellowbirdbaby »

Thank you sooo much . In a few hours we will know whether or not their will be another cutie joining us!!!