No Neckring when Mature

Moderator: Mods

mcw-indianringnecks

No Neckring when Mature

Post by mcw-indianringnecks »

When I bought this bird off my trusted friend he guaranteed it as a Clearwing Cleartail and from the neckring up would have a beautiful blue head, I was surprised that this bird as a 3yr old has never produced a neckring and by now we all know that this bird is only a DF Harlequin.

We know that Harlequin's have a neckring I don't know why a DF Harlequin would not produce a neckring.

In the second picture is a DF Harlequin Opaline, I believe this bird wont produce a neckring either. The unusal feature with this bird is that he was born with a pure white head, yet Opaline and Harlequin both have dark heads.

This bird is almost opposite to Gary's Clearwing Cleartail as it has Blue through the body simply unexpected results.
Attachments
Forum - DF Blue Harelquin x Violet.JPG
Forumdfbluepiedopaline.JPG
Ring0Neck

Re: No Neckring when Mature

Post by Ring0Neck »

Harlequin's have a neckring
There's a good chance it is not a harlequin, but a different dominant pied.

We can safely devide them into 3 lots of pieds we have in OZ (naming just to ID their phenotype not denoting a new mutation)

Clearwing Dom. Pieds
Clearback Pieds = Harlequins (they have a nicer pattern on wings)
Specled back Dom. Pieds (as Mick calls them) random piedness

Are they all harlequins? I doubt it. hence the surprises we get.

My thoughts anyways.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Taliep

Post by Taliep »

Hi Guys

This is very interesting. I`ve got an Emerald Dominant Pied that was bred by Babu and according to Babu the bird was bred in 2010/11. To date this cock has still not developed a neck ring and this is extremely odd.

Lee:

Can you please post the pic`s of the emerald harlequin i sent you.

Taliep
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

My "Pied Cleartail" (TBC Cleartail) is 2011 and no neckring either. his brother pied/CT has a faint neckring but lower mandible is red.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Chris
by now we all know that this bird is only a DF Harlequin.
I wonder if the cleartail explains the head not staying blue being a cock bird going white with maturity.
my trusted friend he guaranteed it as a Clearwing Cleartail
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

These are the problems that can be expected when birds have been produced using a cocktail of mutations. A new mutation is not produced by simply mixing a culdron of genes and different mutations.
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

mcw-indianringnecks wrote:When I bought this bird off my trusted friend he guaranteed it as a Clearwing Cleartail and from the neckring up would have a beautiful blue head, I was surprised that this bird as a 3yr old has never produced a neckring and by now we all know that this bird is only a DF Harlequin.

We know that Harlequin's have a neckring I don't know why a DF Harlequin would not produce a neckring.

In the second picture is a DF Harlequin Opaline, I believe this bird wont produce a neckring either. The unusal feature with this bird is that he was born with a pure white head, yet Opaline and Harlequin both have dark heads.

This bird is almost opposite to Gary's Clearwing Cleartail as it has Blue through the body simply unexpected results.
How do you known this second picture bird is a DF Harlequin Opaline ?
mcw-indianringnecks

Post by mcw-indianringnecks »

G,Day Bebbjamin , the parents and grandparents are all pictured on my web site under new mutations,if youd like a picture trail . The grandfarther was a Turquoise Harlequin split Opaline , His farther and mother were both born almost identical presummed opaline harlequin, simply unusual birds thats why they were mated together?, In there nest were 2 white looking birds as pictured 1 cock 1 hen + 2 normal blue opalines =1 being a normal looking blue opaline cock.
madas

Post by madas »

mcw-indianringnecks wrote: We know that Harlequin's have a neckring I don't know why a DF Harlequin would not produce a neckring.
Hi Chris,

it's a very simple answer. A completly white (beside the bright blue sheen on the head) bird can't show a neckring because all melanine and psittacine is removed resp. prohibited the be established. Same as for an albino which show a bright blue sheen in sunlight too. The interesting part would be if we see the same in a green series DF harlequin means a yellow looking bird. I am pretty sure they will show a neckring. But it could be difficult to see it because a normal harlequin is showing a brighter neckring then a normal IRN.

madas
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:heres the emerald harlequin cock Taliep spoke of. No neck ring visible.
Hm, i wouldn't say "no neckring". But not as good expressed as in a normal "IRN". I can see a bright grey neckring.
A said in the post before. A green harlequin isn't showing a black neckring too. I think it's grey.

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

The interesting part would be if we see the same in a green series DF harlequin means a yellow looking bird. I am pretty sure they will show a neckring. But it could be difficult to see it because a normal harlequin is showing a brighter neckring then a normal IRN.
not sure how old df green is but 2012 & older for sure. (not my birds)
A green harlequin isn't showing a black neckring too. I think it's grey.
looks normal to me.

My bird has light black patches on the back, barely seen in this pic and light black in the tail.
if we get color throughout the body, surely neckring would also be able to be expressed, faint one at least but No traces of neckring.
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote: looks normal to me.

Why have you changed the pic to this blurry one. The pic posted before clearly showed grey neckrings.
So please re-post the orginal one.

A normal green IRN shows a black/pink neckring. A dom. pied green shows a grey/pink-orange.

madas
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

LOL

I noticed it was blurry but it shows the red ring as well, hence the change.

Original below & another (I wil look for a clearer one):

I see the same as the blue pied next to him

This pic below is from Dec 19th

I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

You're right, I should have just added another pic not replace. My bad.

Taken last month.
green's neckring looks a bit faded but i see black.

Green Pied is split opaline, if it counts for anything.
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:You're right, I should have just added another pic not replace. My bad.

Taken last month.
green's neckring looks a bit faded but i see black.

Green Pied is split opaline, if it counts for anything.
Then one of us must go to the optician. :)
The blue bird in the back has a black neckring and the two pied birds grey ones like the bird below (pic is from Willys March Folder).

madas
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

looks grey to me too.
John Shannon

Post by John Shannon »

Has anyone got a theory on why some Dominant pieds have no colour in there tail at fleding and others like some of the so called saddlebacks have.
My green Dominant pied 2012 cock only got a light blue in tail feather at rising two molt .
Attachments
2012  Harlequin pied cock in December molt (2).JPG
2012  green Harlequin pied (3).JPG
2012 green Harlequin pied (3).JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi John,

Saddlebacks don't have colored tail at fledging from what i've seen. mine got it about 9months old
this bird below got his black tail at 3 y o

I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:

Hi John,

Saddlebacks don't have colored tail at fledging from what i've seen. mine got it about 9months old
this bird below got his black tail at 3 y o

And a visible grey neckring. ;) :P
Btw: nice birdy on the right.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

And a visible grey neckring. ;) :P
Btw: nice birdy on the right.
A grey/black neckring? :?

Thanks, she is s-thing special.
I'm an Explorer