**** URGENT ALL South African Breeders ****

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

Re: **** URGENT ALL South African Breeders ****

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hello all, does anyone know what's the latest news on this issue?

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, also got that email, but my Afrikaans is not good, can you please translate for me and others that did Afrikaans as a second language at school

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Lushen, are you saying that people that take a second language in an SA school can't read that language? What is our education system coming to? :shock:
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

No, but u know the saying, "What you don't use, you lose", and I done grade 12 in 1995, so that was a long time ago

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

"google translate boet"
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Tried google translate, it doesn't do a good job

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Sent: 02 June 2014 04:22 PM
To: CRAIG (GDARD) WHITTINGTON-JONES; Phoebe Barnard; Philip Ivey; Craig Symes,sherwin.maharaj@liblink.co.za
Cc: conservation@birdlife.org.za; Dave Richardson; Colleen Downs; Steve@wildbirdtrust.com
Subject: RE: Risk assessments of three potentially invasive bird species - peafowl and the two parakeets

Dear Craig, Phoebe and Colleagues

Please note that the rose-ring parakeet is now Category 2 - may only be kept with a Permit. Outside of the Permit, they must be destroyed. However, the hobbyists have been most co-operative, and I think we need to see whether the various measures they have agreed to (standards for caging, double doors, and a registry for all birds), as well as committing to have the feral populations killed by wing-shooters. We certainly need to look at this option, before taking any hard line on the species. It is apparently the green variety that is predominantly invasive. Pet-shops remain a challenge, and the pinioning of birds is not without controversy. They will have to have a Permit.

Sorry for the late response. I have had a couple of misinformed fly-fishers to sort out!

Regards

Guy

Dr Guy Preston
Deputy Director-General: Environmental Programmes
Department of Environmental Affairs
Tel: 021.441-2700 (International: +27.21.441-2700)
Fax: 086-541-1889 (International: +27.86-541-1889)
Cell: 083-325-8700 (International: +27.83-325-8700)
E-mail: GPreston@environment.gov.za
14 Loop Street, Cape Town 8001
Private Bag X4390, Cape Town 8000, South Africa
Web: http://www.environment.gov.za/workingfo ... index.html
Hotline: 0800-005-376

Environmental Programmes: Natural Resources Management • Environmental Protection & Infrastructure • Information Management & Sector Co-ordination • Bio-Security
NRM: Working for Water • Working on Fire • Working for Wetlands • Working for Ecosystems • Working for Forests • Eco-Furniture Programme • Working for Energy (Biomass)
EPI: Working on Waste • Working for the Coast • Working for Land • Working for Wildlife • People and Parks • Greening & Open Space Management • Youth Environmental Service
Aligned to the Expanded Public Works Programme

>>> On 14 April 2014 at 12:41 PM, in message <0C6491600E6B9441891259ECC8CB06B8021161CA563B@CPTSVMEX04.sanbi.local>, Phoebe Barnard <P.Barnard@sanbi.org.za> wrote:
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Sent: 02 June 2014 04:22 PM
To: CRAIG (GDARD) WHITTINGTON-JONES; Phoebe Barnard; Philip Ivey; sherwin.maharaj@liblink.co.za
Cc: conservation@birdlife.org.za; Dave Richardson; Colleen Downs; Steve@wildbirdtrust.com
Subject: RE: Risk assessments of three potentially invasive bird species - peafowl and the two parakeets

Dear Craig, Phoebe and Colleagues

Please note that the rose-ring parakeet is now Category 2 - may only be kept with a Permit. Outside of the Permit, they must be destroyed. However, the hobbyists have been most co-operative, and I think we need to see whether the various measures they have agreed to (standards for caging, double doors, and a registry for all birds), as well as committing to have the feral populations killed by wing-shooters. We certainly need to look at this option, before taking any hard line on the species. It is apparently the green variety that is predominantly invasive. Pet-shops remain a challenge, and the pinioning of birds is not without controversy. They will have to have a Permit.

Sorry for the late response. I have had a couple of misinformed fly-fishers to sort out!

Regards

Guy

Dr Guy Preston
Deputy Director-General: Environmental Programmes
Department of Environmental Affairs
Tel: 021.441-2700 (International: +27.21.441-2700)
Fax: 086-541-1889 (International: +27.86-541-1889)
Cell: 083-325-8700 (International: +27.83-325-8700)
E-mail: GPreston@environment.gov.za
14 Loop Street, Cape Town 8001
Private Bag X4390, Cape Town 8000, South Africa
Web: http://www.environment.gov.za/workingfo ... index.html
Hotline: 0800-005-376

Environmental Programmes: Natural Resources Management • Environmental Protection & Infrastructure • Information Management & Sector Co-ordination • Bio-Security
NRM: Working for Water • Working on Fire • Working for Wetlands • Working for Ecosystems • Working for Forests • Eco-Furniture Programme • Working for Energy (Biomass)
EPI: Working on Waste • Working for the Coast • Working for Land • Working for Wildlife • People and Parks • Greening & Open Space Management • Youth Environmental Service
Aligned to the Expanded Public Works Programme
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Does the permit apply to pet IRN's as well and if so where can a permit be obtained?
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

Wow but the typo in Louis Bothma's letter is beyond terrible!
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Regulations published, regulations available for down load below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/724798574234298/
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I've read through that but I still don't understand if people interested in breeding IRN's need permits since I couldn't spot the words "parakeet" or "parrot" between all the legal jargon.

Could someone with a better understanding of what all that actually means for breeders please clarify it for me and others that I'm sure don't understand it either?

Kind regards,

Wessel
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi Wessel,

The long and short of it is as follows, you are going to need a permit to keep ringnecks, you are going to need a permit to transport ringnecks and a permit to export ringnecks.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks Prodigy

At the moment I only have one pair separated from the rest of my flock to see if they are indeed interested in breeding (they are in an aviary with a nest but no mating or eggs I'm aware of yet) . My other IRN's, for various reasons such as health issues and age, are kept as pets at the moment. I do not intend to breed IRN's on a commercial scale but rather keep them as a hobby so if they raise a few chicks all is well and if they don't it's not going to financially ruin me.

That brings me to a couple of questions:

1. What is the requirements to obtain a permit?
2. Does pet owners who keeps IRN's purely as a hobby require a permit as well? (I'm thinking of owners who keep males and females and inevitably there is going to be eggs that hatch every now and then)
3. Is the permit issued based on the number of birds you have or breeding pairs?
4. What is the costs involved in getting a permit?
5. Assuming I do need a permit for the single "breeding pair" I have where can such a permit be obtained?

Kind regards,

Wessel Gordon
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Wessel Gordon wrote:Thanks Prodigy

At the moment I only have one pair separated from the rest of my flock to see if they are indeed interested in breeding (they are in an aviary with a nest but no mating or eggs I'm aware of yet) . My other IRN's, for various reasons such as health issues and age, are kept as pets at the moment. I do not intend to breed IRN's on a commercial scale but rather keep them as a hobby so if they raise a few chicks all is well and if they don't it's not going to financially ruin me.

That brings me to a couple of questions:

1. What is the requirements to obtain a permit?
2. Does pet owners who keeps IRN's purely as a hobby require a permit as well? (I'm thinking of owners who keep males and females and inevitably there is going to be eggs that hatch every now and then)
3. Is the permit issued based on the number of birds you have or breeding pairs?
4. What is the costs involved in getting a permit?
5. Assuming I do need a permit for the single "breeding pair" I have where can such a permit be obtained?

Kind regards,

Wessel Gordon
Wessel

The best U can do to get all your answers is to join a club (even if u only have a few IRN) as far as I know they are still busy with the detail a permit will have. It doesn't matter if u have 1 or 100 IRN U will still need to have a permit and if u do sell yours in time the person buying them will have to own a permit. I am sure as soon as there is more answers the Forum wil share asap.

Regards
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks Mickeyd

I'm in a small town that has more hadida birds than people so I guess I will have to find a club in Kimberley that's not too far from here and where I used to live.

Regards,

Wessel
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Wessel, you can either join a regional club (like Diamantveld in the Kimberley region), or a national club like the Parrot Breeders Association of SA or the South African Asiatic Parakeet & Parrot Breeders Association (old Ringnektelersvereniging). I'm not sure yet how the Dept. of Environmental Affairs are going to manage the members of the national clubs, but preliminary talks suggested that the regional clubs will have the authority to do the inspection of aviaries and issue permits. Don't believe this as gospel, though. Nothing is set in stone yet.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks Johan

I spoke to a member of the Diamantveld club earlier this morning and he promised to get back to me as soon as there is any new developments. Like you and others suggested I'm considering joining the club if for no other reason than enjoying it.

Wessel
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Halo
I am from Sundra area next to springs and not far from Bennoni +_ 30km.
Where can I find or obtain information about IRN clubs in the area. I do belong to the
S.A Parrot association. I only started breeding with them last year mmm only had one baby.
This year very happy with results so far. With 39 chicks and stil over 30 eggs in the nests.
I would really be greatful if some one can tell me where do i find a club around this areas.

Thanks
Buks
Buddy4us

Post by Buddy4us »

Hi to everybody.

First time owner of a Ring neck. Its a blue one. I bought it from the pet shop. They didn't say anything about a license or even mentioning it. Do we need one if we are only brought this one into our home as a loving pet and not as a way to make money or breed at a later stage? I might also have to mention Buddy is only 29 days old. Sorry if the equation was answered in the thread, I had a look and didn't pick anything up.

Thank you in advance.
Born: 6 October 2014 South Africa