our perception

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

our perception

Post by sheyd »

I wouldn't have believed it unless it happened to me- I like to see things first hand :lol: :lol:

When people say their reg Blue has a purple sheen- I thought- their purple is obviously different to mine- and what they consider as purple I don't- - having a little feather collection sure helps with experimentation- in certain lights- a reg Blue can have a certain purple quality along a single edge- I didn't manage to capture it but- now I know what they're talking about.. lol

The other is the feather from Ben- someone on another group was asking what mutation/s their cock bird was- so I showed them a comparison pic- their perception was different to mine.

I got out Ben's feather to show my other half to ask what colour he thought it and the other person's bird was (he's not a bird person) and was surprised (lol that's happening a lot lately) that when I got it that it looked 'purple' to me- was night and in low light-- I had to double check I had the right one in my hands :lol:

So light and perception all play a role-- just my random thoughts :)

Ben's feather:

Ring0Neck

Re: our perception

Post by Ring0Neck »

Excellent subject !

my perception of sf violet blues is a dark blue bird. that's untill it sits next to a cobalt or deep

for me a violet should be a violet-cobalt's color to satisfy/justify its name, but then some would call that a purplish bird
then lavender comes along .....

PS: Shey, i mixed your 2 feathers with about 10+ of mine, unsorted.
If you like i can send you the lot, if you think its confusing now, wait till you see this lot :lol:
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:Excellent subject !

for me a violet should be a violet-cobalt's color to satisfy/justify its name, but then some would call that a purplish bird
then lavender comes along .....
Thanks!

Remember I said I wasn't expecting the 'bright blue' looking one? it had me so intrigued- I thought- why would they call it 'violet?'- but then remembered that they aren't calling a sf Violet 'violet' - but Violet Blue- so I did a search on the colour...

It makes perfect sense- I wonder if they waited until the df to name the mutation Violet?
Attachments
Violet-Blue_429619_i0.png
Violet-Blue_429619_i0.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
violet blue.png
violet blue.png (264 Bytes) Viewed 1334 times
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

PS: Shey, i mixed your 2 feathers with about 10+ of mine, unsorted.
If you like i can send you the lot, if you think its confusing now, wait till you see this lot :lol:
Sounds great! :D
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

This sounds like an interesting thread.

I must admit I'm an IRN enthusiast not a breeder therefore I have absolutely zero knowledge of genetics but from shey's experiment it would seem that even with experienced breeders you might get two or more different opinions on which mutation they're seeing if you show them the same bird.

Just to add my perception to it as a complete novice: both feathers are blue. Admittedly one a more vivid blue than the other but still blue.

Wessel
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Wessel Gordon wrote:This sounds like an interesting thread.

I must admit I'm an IRN enthusiast not a breeder therefore I have absolutely zero knowledge of genetics but from shey's experiment it would seem that even with experienced breeders you might get two or more different opinions on which mutation they're seeing if you show them the same bird.

Just to add my perception to it as a complete novice: both feathers are blue. Admittedly one a more vivid blue than the other but still blue.

Wessel

Thanks for your thoughts Wessel-- :)

The 3 photos above are of the same feather- an American sf Violet Blue, it just goes to show that light plays a large roll in what we see. The feather really did look that dark in the first pic- this thread came about because I surprised myself a couple of nights back trying to pick it out from the double and triple structural mutations- I had to go to a brightly lit area just to be sure I had the right feather.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Just shows you what I know...absolutely nothing about the different mutations.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

there is still so much more to know! never stop learning :mrgreen: