Harlequins

Moderator: Mods

Deon Smith

Harlequins

Post by Deon Smith »

A nest of youngsters, soothing to the eye :)

Deon Smith
Recio

Re: Harlequins

Post by Recio »

Hi Deon,

No pic at all on my screen. Please, give more data :)
Recio
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

I am struggling with the 100KB limitation, Stefan how do you insucceed 200KB sized images?
2013-11-17 16.22.45.jpg
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Deon Smith wrote:I am struggling with the 100KB limitation, Stefan how do you insucceed 200KB sized images?
2013-11-17 16.22.45.jpg
Absolute beauties :)
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

I have never seen one before, So pretty!
Alicia,
Mum to Peppermint & Sprite
Recio

Post by Recio »

Come on Deon,

Input data, please!!! :shock:

Recio
Aussie_nathan

Post by Aussie_nathan »

Sorry guys but I am still trying to get my head around mutations and colours,
Is that a DF violet harlequin? and a blue harlequin? And can some one explain what makes them harlequin?
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

Recio

I believe its good to give people time to consider what they see and try to work out its genotype.

This nest was bred from a Green Harlequin but possibly Violetgreen cock. It is not easy to identify a Violetgreen Harlequin due to the general dilution as you will see on the images, even a Blue Harlequin has occasional dark or Cobalt feathers.

The hen's genotype is a huge riddle, she is the darkest brightest Violet specimen I have ever seen, and she could have in her genotype 1 or 2 Violet factors, Dark factor and blue, and SA Deep.

The Green baby loks like a Violetgreen but I will learn more from the tail feathers. The Green Harlequin is something out of this world, the brightness and intensity of the yellow shoulders and wings and the shimmering bluish green body. The Violet Harlequin, any guesses?

Aussie_nathan: Harlequin is an alternative name for Dominant Pied which is plentiful in your homeland.

Check these images out:

http://adobe.ly/1dhrYuG

http://adobe.ly/1dhs8Cc

Deon
madas

Post by madas »

Hi Deon,

the mother couldn't be DF violet. If it was/is the case then you haven't got a blue dom. pied.
Does the blue pied looks like a normal blue or steps darker?
So the hen could be a dark violet SA deep blue or if the blue chick looks steps darker the normal blue then she could be a violet SA deep(df) blue.
The violet chick looks dark violet to me.

Any pic of the mother? If so please post an outside pic and not a "studio" pic like on your website. thx.

greetings.

madas
mcw-indianringnecks

Post by mcw-indianringnecks »

If yous read my Saddleback section on my web-site [mcw-indianringnecks ]there a section where i stated a baby in the nest seemed to have been born Violet Green but seemed to have faded to normal Green Hallequin , i know this sounds a bit odd to the point i wasnt going to include it,but this was my observation off this nest, This bird is the Farther to Deons nest and if you consider the Violet Harlequin in Deons nest could be DF Violet Harlequin,This would mean the Green Harlequin [ farther ] was in fact a Violet Green Harlequin.But what could cause this type of colour change.
Deon beleives the essence of saddleback to be there richness of colour ,This nest was directly breed from my saddleback hen?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

What is the last bird in this pic?
I see E-E
Is it related to Violet Saddleback?

https://picasaweb.google.com/MCWaviarie ... 1635929410
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

The 4th juvenile is a combo Violetgreen and Deep and or Dark

The mother:
IMG_0035.jpg
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

This is a most stunning bird. Any guesses as to its genotype?

Deon Smith
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Deon,

My guess is Belgium Violet Dark Blue
Initially i was also thinking NT Deep but i'm not certain yet if NT Deep is a violet or deep mutation, hopefully Tienie can tell us more.

Could she be Misty as well???

She is a stunner !

In my previous post i asked about Chris's photo last bird in his photo see below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/MCWaviarie ... 1635929410

Ben
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
mcw-indianringnecks

G,Day Ben.
That 1s a 1yr old violet saddleback cock ,i took the first 2 photoes and Tienie took the 3rd , all 3 pics are of the same bird . From memory all before its first molt .Maybe Tienie could update.
Added 1 picture of the DF Harlequin + Saddleback ,to show her colour change, she as i said she would has lost her beautiful saddle, I dont see this bird being a normal Turquoise bird , i dont think she is 80% as turquoise are said to be. ,I dont see any PATCHY display as you would expect.She is just coming out of molt ,but over the next two years her colours should still improve. Your Thoughts
Attachments
1-1-DSC_0001.jpg
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Chris,

It seems to me that there is some yellow colour on her primary wing and tail flying feathers. Could you confirm? It it was the case she should not be classed as turquoise :?:
Did you look at her under uv?

Regards

Recio
Chriskoi

Post by Chriskoi »

Recio wrote: If it was the case she should not be classed as turquoise :?:
But if she is double factor turq then where could be some yellow on the main flight and tail feathers. See Willys pic of his homozyguos turq bird.

Chris
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Deon Smith wrote:This is a most stunning bird. Any guesses as to its genotype?

Deon Smith
Doc, I'd guess that this is a combination between dark and the Nico Theunissen violet. What are your thoughts on the genotype?
Ring0Neck wrote:Deon,

My guess is Belgium Violet Dark Blue
Initially i was also thinking NT Deep but i'm not certain yet if NT Deep is a violet or deep mutation, hopefully Tienie can tell us more.
Ben, is there any reason to think that Belgium violet and NT violet and NT deep isn't the same mutation with three different names? Nico's two original birds were bred and imported from Belgium. But I share your thoughts on a combination of cobalt and violet (Belgium/light/NT).
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Ben, is there any reason to think that Belgium violet and NT violet and NT deep isn't the same mutation with three different names? Nico's two original birds were bred and imported from Belgium. But I share your thoughts on a combination of cobalt and violet (Belgium/light/NT).

Yes, there was 1: I didn't have enough info to make that connection. :D (or I simply forgot if I knew)

Thanks for the info.

I'm an Explorer
mcw-indianringnecks

I do have old Uv pics of her on my web site also 9 photoes of opaline harlequins ,i have tried many time but cant load them ,my system only allows 800 or 1084 so its either to big or to small , i really think it should be easier to load photoes on this site ,most of us are older and not computer smart?
This hen is a blue series only.
She is DF Harlequin
Its impossable for her to be DF Torquoise.,even if you still beleive her to be Turquoise still ,it could only SF.
Attachments
1-23 Saddleback_Under UV Light.jpg
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Chris, when you go to your website, open up the image you would like to use. Then click with the right mouse button on that image and select from the list the option similar to "copy image location" or "copy image address" or "save image address". Now return to the forum and write your message. You'll notice just above the box where you are writing a few different "buttons"; one being "Img" towards the right hand side of the buttons. So, when you are at the spot in your message where you wish to include the image, click on the "Img" button. Two tags will appear in your message, being [img ] and [/img ] (without the spaces). Right click in between the two tags and select the "Paste" option. The internet address (URL) of your image will now appear between the two tags and it should look something like this [img ]http://www.bla.com/image01.jpg[/img ] with the www. part the address of your image that you copied from your website. Next to the submit button where you post your message is another button, the preview button. Press that and make sure that your post looks ok. If all is good, then press the submit button. It sounds much more complicated than it really is. Hope this helps! :D
Chriskoi

Post by Chriskoi »

mcw-indianringnecks wrote: it could only SF
So she is carrying turq.
mcw-indianringnecks

Ive said 1000 times saddlebacks do not carry TURQUOISE nor do they carry OPALINE .If they carried Turquoise then they would simply be turquoise harlequins. These birds are NOT simple TURQUOISE HARLEQUINS,Even the Violet Green Harlequins breed from saddlebacks are completly different both to each other and that of normal Violet Green Harlequins, The normal Harlequins breed from Saddlebacks show a depth of colour a richness of colour far better than birds breed from normal Harlequins.The picture of Deons nest ,the excitment from Deon of his first nest of breed from saddlebacks is what started this thread , I will also point out No Turquoise or Saddlebacks have been breed so far from the green Poss Saddlebacks .
What i did say is [ even if you still beleive they are Torquoise it could only be SF ]from the way they were breed i could breed DF Harlequin But NOT DF Turquoise or DF Saddlebacks?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

mcw-indianringnecks wrote:G,Day Ben.
That 1s a 1yr old violet saddleback cock ,i took the first 2 photoes and Tienie took the 3rd , all 3 pics are of the same bird . From memory all before its first molt .Maybe Tienie could update.
Added 1 picture of the DF Harlequin + Saddleback ,to show her colour change, she as i said she would has lost her beautiful saddle, I dont see this bird being a normal Turquoise bird , i dont think she is 80% as turquoise are said to be. ,I dont see any PATCHY display as you would expect.She is just coming out of molt ,but over the next two years her colours should still improve. Your Thoughts

Hi Chris,

Let's decompile this bird's mutations.

DF Harlequin gives us a pretty much clear bird (almost white or yellow)
* What known mutation could bring back color specifically yellow (psittacin ? ) into a Df Pied?
Parblue would be the first thing that pops into my mind.
However, saddlebacks are evident in green series as well (correct?) at least UK Babu's Saddlebacks
as well as your violet green with a nice "glossy sheen".

So what is this mutation that we find in green series as well as blue?
Can not be Parblue as we know it as it is recessive to Wildtype

Possibly a parblue variant mutated => dominant to wildtype???

Chris, Was this the first ever Saddleback in Oz?
I see a fault? in this bird, more like a half-sider and I assume that would allow further heriditary "mistakes" to happen in this bird...
https://picasaweb.google.com/MCWaviarie ... 0305054450

I'm an Explorer
mcw-indianringnecks

Yes the bird with the normal violet patch on its wing was 1 of 4 born in that season 1 or 2 clutches ,im not sure ?
I would not consider this bird to be a Half -Sider either as its only a patch on one wing, again something unusual?
The green series birds breed from saddlebacks have not yet reproduced saddlebacks as yet , as shown in Deons nest that started this thread, but not yet enough breeding results to make any conclusions from that ?Although it makes you wonder as to why such low % of saddlebacks being reproduced ,Both Phil and I have only breed 3 each since 2009 and Phil has Double clutched each breeding season.,I have breed 2 cocks +1 hen from my Violet Saddleback Hen ,And Phil has breed 2 hens and 1 cock from his Violet Saddleback cock.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Chris,

I know it's not a half-sider. However unusual to say the least, and not something you'd expect from any mutation combos known.
All Oz saddlebacks come from this bird? or the parents of this bird? (I mean did the parents breed other saddlebacks for Baldwin?)

The obvious is to pair up a saddleback back to a saddleback offspring that is different/unusual hoping to get 100% saddleback offspring in pied and non pied birds.

I'm an Explorer