Deon's "Violino"

Moderator: Mods

Recio

Deon's "Violino"

Post by Recio »

Hi everybody,

Deon posted this bird in the yahoo forum 1-2 years ago. It is a bird from a friend of him living in the north of SA if I remember correctly (otherwise Madas will correct me). He named it Violino as was suppossed to be a Violet (SF?, DF?) Blue Ino (SL-Ino?, NSL-Ino?).

As you can see bird's colour is not the expected albino but some kind of yellowish or bluish depending on angle, body region and pic.

Some posts ago we had speculated that there are, at least, two types of Violets : brigth Violets and "normal" Violets. We even speculated about the possibility of two different types or alleles of Violet.
Deon's pic show a bird with some degree of iridescence, and thus I suposse that it comes from a brigth Violet. This pic support the idea that Violet could be a structural mutation acting also in the feather cortex and thus being able to produce iridescence. Another alternative explanation would be that a mutation acting on feather structure could be highly linked to Violet, and so both could be transmitted together to the offspring as if they were a single gene. The brigth Violets would in fact be the "normal" Violets but they would be linked to such structural mutation.

Which could be such a structural mutation? Certainly not Emerald since the bird in the pic does not match the phenotype of an Emerino ... but Mike's results show that the expression of Emerald in Violet birds produces a darker Violet and not a greener bird. The addition of Emerald in the genetic make up would produce the brigthness and even a better coloured bird (darker). Could the bird in the pic be the expression of an allele of Emerald selected by SA breeders looking for better coloured birds?
Do not forget that at that time Emerald was not present in SA.

Of course I am speculating at the n degree since I am speaking of a possible allele of a mutation that still remains to show what it is .... but this speculation allows us to ask : has any breeder ever found that Emerald and Violet do not breed true? .... that is ... could they be linked? Has anybody ever observed a difference when breeding Emerald to brigth or to normal Violets?

Regards

Recio
trabots

Re: Deon's "Violino"

Post by trabots »

but Mike's results show that the expression of Emerald in Violet birds produces a darker Violet and not a greener bird.
Mike's results are for the CHCT mutation Recio. I have bred several Violet EmeraldBlues and they are definately greener.

Recio

Post by Recio »

Thanks for the correction Willy ... but the main logic remains.

Recio
trabots

Post by trabots »

Thanks for the correction Willy ... but the main logic remains.
As you are logic driven like me Recio, why won't you go through the Emerald logic I have offered and come to a conclusion?
Recio

Post by Recio »

It's already done.

Recio
trabots

Post by trabots »

It's already done
Is this a trick answer? Respectfully Recio, but where can I find your dissection and analysis of the Parblue logic I presented?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Recio, if this effect is due to structure, it must be because of violet. We have a cobalt NSLino and no matter how closely I've looked, I've not seen this effect. However, a friend of mine have bred two ino birds from a violet cleartail line. If one is a cock, we can assume NSL ino, and hopefully violet will also be present. I'll give some feedback on this when I visit this friend again.

PS: the breeder of the bird stays just to the north of the center of SA. So where does this put him? :D
Recio

Post by Recio »

... at Hans Meyer house? :D

Regards

Recio
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Recio

The bird of Hans Meyer is a violet blue NSLino cleartail/???????. I bought a violet blueturq SL ino hen years ago and you could see the violet sheen on the rump and tail

Tienie
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Tienie,

So ... which would be your conclusion:
1. NSL-ino does not completelly eliminate melanin?
2. The violet sheen in the rump and tail are mainly structural?
3. Both?

Does anybody own a pic of a Violet Blue SL-Ino showing a phenotypic albino? Should we conclude that every Violet Blue Ino is not 100% white? ... or do we really have two types of Violets?

I bet number 2 based in the iridescent phenotype.

Regards

Recio
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

What a gorgeous color. I'd also be interested to know what would produce that mutation, if anyone can tell me.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Recio

Deon named the bird a "Violino" in a joke after Babu wrote the article about the NSLino and called it a Nino.

The pic of the bird was taken when still young. I think it proofed to be a cock bird and has developed a neck ring. Based on that I would say nr 1. Can anybody post a pic of a Cinnamon NSLino or a CHF NSLino or a Dun Fallow NSLino. I am pretty sure not all of them will be masked by NSLino.

Tienie