Brown flights in Pallid

Moderator: Mods

John Shannon

Brown flights in Pallid

Post by John Shannon »

I do not have this Pallid grey, as I sold it long ago. At the time I thought it was a pallid cinnamon crossover ?. Now I think it may have been dunn or bronze fallow.
Attachments
Pastelgry lacewing with brown flights 2.JPG
Pastelgry lacewing with brown flights 2.JPG (72.66 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
DSCF0144.JPG
DSCF0144.JPG (69.6 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
madas

Re: Brown flights in Pallid

Post by madas »

John Shannon wrote:I do not have this Pallid grey, as I sold it long ago. At the time I thought it was a pallid cinnamon crossover ?. Now I think it may have been dunn or bronze fallow.
The bird is showing a main flight feather pattern with wide outer edge dilution typical for the pallid series. If it is/was a fallow type i would expect even colored main flights feathers with a (very) small Dilution on the outer edge.

according to Bastiaan a "bronze fallow" green:

Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

madas wrote:
John Shannon wrote:I do not have this Pallid grey, as I sold it long ago. At the time I thought it was a pallid cinnamon crossover ?. Now I think it may have been dunn or bronze fallow.
The bird is showing a main flight feather pattern with wide outer edge dilution typical for the pallid series. If it is/was a fallow type i would expect even colored main flights feathers with a (very) small Dilution on the outer edge.

according to Bastiaan a "bronze fallow" green:

Question : Is Bronze Fallow = Dunn Fallow ? i.e. two names given to same primary mutation
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Ooh, I know this one. I just read about it. I have the book right here in front of me :)

Bronze Fallow = grey family pigments (melanin) reduced to brown

Dun Fallow = grey family pigments (melanin) reduced to grey-brown

It also says the dun fallow retains the white iris ring, but the bronze fallow loses it.
madas

Post by madas »

Kimma wrote:Ooh, I know this one. I just read about it. I have the book right here in front of me :)

It also says the dun fallow retains the white iris ring, but the bronze fallow loses it.
Yeah, but the iris isn't lost. :) At most it is translucent. ;) It's a big difference.
But same could be true for both mutations dun and bronze fallow depends on the species.

Another difference between dun and bronze fallow is: bronze fallow has or should have pink flesh colored feets and light horn colored nails. In opposite dun fallow is showing light grey colored feets and nails.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

madas wrote:
Kimma wrote:Ooh, I know this one. I just read about it. I have the book right here in front of me :)

Yeah, but the iris isn't lost. :) At most it is translucent. ;) It's a big difference.
But same could be true for both mutations dun and bronze fallow depends on the species.

Another difference between dun and bronze fallow is: bronze fallow has or should have pink flesh colored feets and light horn colored nails. In opposite dun fallow is showing light grey colored feets and nails.
Can you explain the translucence of the iris as it compares to say a CHF? It appears as a completely dark eye. Where is the translucency? Is it similar to the stage prior to a young IRN gaining the white iris ring?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I have do not have CHF's, but I believe it's because the irides and the pupils allow the light to shine right through - whereas say an Ino, Pallid, Cinnamon ect will only have the pupils allowing light through when lit with a flash. Hence the transparency of the irides in CHF's and the like- it is a bit like a youngster in that the iris is dark, however in a normal, the light won't pass directly through as it would for some of the Fallow types.