EmeraldTurquoise

Moderator: Mods

Mikesringnecks

EmeraldTurquoise

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Everyone
I sought advice a while ago on the phenetics of chicks from an EmeraldTurquoise Cleartail hen and a Violet Dark Blue Cleartail cock bird. Thanks to your help I have now sorted out what colour they are.

At the time, I advised that I would provide an update on a second clutch because it might shed some light on the emerald genetics debate. There were 7 chicks overall. There were 5 emeralds, which are easy to pick in the cleartails because of their bellies, and 2 turquoises. The first turquoise was fairly obvious with green patches on the wings. The second looked more like a pure violet cleartail to start with but, there is now faint evidence of the odd green feather on the wings and fairly obvious yellow on the underside of the tail.

I realize that 7 chicks in no way proves that emerald is an allele of the blue locus. However, I am inclined to lean that way given Babu's advice on the first wild caught emerald that only produced EmeraldBlue chicks for several seasons.

If emerald is a blue locus allele, and recessive re green, there wold have been green split emeralds circulating in a local wild population for who knows how long before two paired up to produce the visual double factor emerald that was identified as a wild mutation and caught. On the same theme, if emerald was dominant re green, surely there would have been several Green Emeralds flying about in the wild population that would surely have been identified by trappers as new mutations and caught.

I now have high resolution photos of all 7 chicks but they seem to be too high a resolution to post here. If anyone is interested I can send them direct. Can anyone tell me what the KB size limit is for photos on this site?
Kind regards
Mike
sheyd

Re: EmeraldTurquoise

Post by sheyd »

you can send them to me, and I'll put them up for you through photobucket if you like Mike.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Pics sent by Mike

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike,

As far as i know
pairing a blue x 2 parblue mutations (say emerald turquoise)
offspring can only be
turquoiseblue
or emeraldblue

not the 2 together, unless emerald is not a parblue mutation !
do you know what the parents were of your turquoise-emerald?
if parents were emerald x turquoise then yes it makes sense to breed turq-emerald offspring.

Ben
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
trabots

Post by trabots »

Mike's results back up the Emerald parblue theory....but then we have green winged Emeralds breeding Blue birds..(Gratz')