Is it possible to get?

Moderator: Mods

Tabaneske

Is it possible to get?

Post by Tabaneske »

Hi again!

I am loving the slate grey coloured ringnecks, and I was wondering if it were possible to breed grey ones that have a different colour head? I would love to see some pictures if there are.

Also if possible, what pair would I need to produce them?

Cheers.

Tabaneske.
Fourie

Re: Is it possible to get?

Post by Fourie »

I think you are looking for the greygreen buttercup or greygreen clearheaded fallow . If you google that there will be a lot of
photos.

Regards
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Tabaneske,
There are a number of mutations that have a different head colour. They are, pallid, clear tail, clear head fallow, and opaline. The pallid, clear tail, and clear head fallow all have a white head in grey coloured birds. The opaline in grey will have a darker grey head compared to the body.

So it all depends on what look you're after. The pallid however, a much lighter body colour than a normal grey, where as, the clear tail and clear head fallow remain almost as dark as a normal grey.

How to breed them varies. The pallid and opaline are sex linked mutations and therefore the best way to breed them is to use either a visual cock bird or a cock bird that is split for the mutation. These methods will produce visual females for the given mutation you're using.

The clear tail and clear head fallow are recessive mutations which means that both parents need to carry a gene for the mutation. So this means you will need to have either one visual mutant parent and one split parent, or both parents split for the mutation you decide to choose.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

To see these mutations mentioned above go to:
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutations/P-krameri.htm
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Thank you very much to all of you. That was extremely helpful. Can't wait to get some more aviaries so I can start learning about all this. :)