Pied mutation question

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Pied mutation question

Post by Skyes_crew »

I know this isn't about ringnecks, but I more or less need a mutation experts help here. I'm considering the purchase of this bird based on its uniqueness. It is a 7 month old male eclectus. But has a red mantle where the females would normally have a purple one and some other red markings that are also not common to a male eclectus. Could this be a pied mutation?

I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ring0Neck

Re: Pied mutation question

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sky,

Is it my screen or the bird has a lighter green overall color?
If so i'd be more inclined to say a diluting mutation, if a mutation is in play.

PS: 1000 posts Congratz ! ;)

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Thanks lol.

I think the second pic was taken with a camera with a flash so not sure. I'm going to see the bird in person on Tuesday. Just wanted to get some opinions in the meantime :D

Edited to say a camera with a flash

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I would definitely buy that bird. :D My biggest concern would be that it might moult out.

It reminds me a lot of the red mutation in IRN that some of our very own forumites are working with. I'll eagerly await their response.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I thought of that Johan. But sometimes you have to take a chance. :D

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

It reminds me a bit of this Electus hen (the breeder is actually a forum member on here :)) https://www.facebook.com/groups/269151199885066/ She had green on one side of her head, as well as bits and pieces through her feathering on her body- as seen in the pics- believe it's almost gone now though.

The red on the bird you're looking at buying looks a lot stronger- so maybe it'll stay that way..?

*anyone wanting to see the pictures will need to ask to join, as it is a private page.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've seen pied mutations yellow and green and a rare blue one, but I don't know what this is. Has she ever bred that hen?

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

No, she's just a baby a few months old- a lot of that colour has gone away.

The parents of the one you're looking at- anything out of the ordinary for them?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It's got me thinking...the male is carrying the female coloring. The female is carrying the male coloring. Two sperm simultaneously fertilizing the egg? And because eclectus are sexually dimorphic, I'm wondering if it would affect fertility?

Haven't seen the parents yet.

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I wondered the same thing.
I'd love to know if the two different areas would also test as male/female which would mean that the bird would be chimeric.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Now the question is, do I want to spend $700 to be able to pluck a few feathers from both areas and prove or disprove a theory? :D

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Sounds like a yes to me... :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I know nothing of mutations but the pics make him seem like he's a lovely little fellow, very calm.

Ellie
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It seems there is someone else interested in him. Still going to look at him tomorrow. But the owner told me ill have to make a decision on the spot. So I guess we'll see tomorrow :wink:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I went to see the male ekkie. The pictures were not recent. Must have been prior to his molt? He does have quite a bit of red left in the mantle area and some on the side of the head,but the chest feathers are almost completely gone. None on the back. Beak is a strange color still, but i guess could still change. Sweetest darn bird lol. Anyway, the kid who owned the bird had absolutely no info on the parents. The bird was a gift from his parents back on the mainland. He's military and brought the bird here. Had a baby with his new wife and now has no time for the bird. But, he was originally asking $700 and when I went agree on that price, he informed me that another guy was interested and offered him $900. He asked me if I could beat the $900. I was actually pretty insulted. I don't know if there was someone else or not, but I told the kid I wasn't interested any longer. Hubby was proud of me, he knew how much I wanted that bird. For my sake, I hope I didn't make a colossal mistake walking away from that bird.

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

That's sad news, sorry to hear! I think it is terrible when somebody agrees on a price, and afterwards start haggling over it. That shows very little character in my opinion.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I agree...that's why I was insulted. Used to be a time when a mans word was good for something. I must confess I'm secretly hoping he calls me back when he comes to his senses. :wink:

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

You didn't happen to take a picture? :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I didn't ...I thought the bird would be coming home with me so I didn't bother. And then I was upset with what he was asking. Do you want some pictures? I guess I could call him and see if I could get some pictures of the bird tomorrow. Ill tell him I'm still mulling it over.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Sky

Don't be too disapointed and definatly don't be pressured into paying a higher price for the bird because it looks different.
I have been breeding eclectus parrots for many years and the strange coloring is happening more and more , I have a male with 3 white toe nails and orange and yellow stripes under the wings when it was a baby , now the toe nails are still white but the orange and yellow stripes have moulted out . The same parents have had 2 males ( nest mates) with lots of red around the neck area , another recent male has blue and red flecks on its chest and a hen with orange stripes on her wings and her overall red was more of an orange colour and her head was orange with lighter spots almost yellow,
So what I'm trying to say is that if you want an eclectus that has a different look about it , just wait you will find that there are plenty around, if this guy gets back to you and says the other sale fell through I don't think there ever was another person interested,
Sky I'll try to post some pics for you in the next couple of days
Regards Gratz
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

the guy putting you on the spot (before you saw the bird) would be enough to put me off- still though, I know what it's like to get excited about something that you still want to go ahead anyway.

Personally, I would have been annoyed and walked away too with the extra price on top- like you did. Seeing that other Electus would have been enough for me to think that this may be of a common occurrence- and as Glenn has said, it happens often enough.

I'd wait for a better seller 8) lol
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Thanks Gratz and Shey...I feel a lot better now. I look forward to seeing the photos. :D

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

So, since we are talking eclectus, how many of you have seen the blue mutation? The pictures are stunning and I'd give a few body parts to own one. :lol:

I have yet to see one in the flesh.

Pictures from the web. Many thanks to whoever owns the rights to them.
madas

Post by madas »

Johan S wrote:So, since we are talking eclectus, how many of you have seen the blue mutation? The pictures are stunning and I'd give a few body parts to own one. :lol:

I have yet to see one in the flesh.

Pictures from the web. Many thanks to whoever owns the rights to them.
http://www.birdpark-jagrie.nl/nw-guinea-edelpapegaaien
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

A colleague in California also owns a blue. That picture you posted I believe comes out of mountain ridge aviary. Not sure how much they are in the rest of the world, but they carry a $25000 price tag here in the states. :shock:

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

how beautiful do those blues look? lovely looking- though i'm not in a rush to go out and buy one with that price tag :lol: :shock:
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Pics as promised
photos are from 4 separate clutches most recent only been out of the nest 4 weeks ago

regards Gratz
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Thanks Gratz! Very nice birds. :D
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yes, thank you Gratz! The fourth pic down is very similar to the bird I looked at, except he had more red on the side of his head. That hen with the orange feathers is so unique. I love her coloring. The last bird, the male, he has so much blue. Your birds are very beautiful. I love the ekkie's. someday I will have a pair :D

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Thank you Sky and Johan

By the way if you want to breed Eclectus parrots my only suggestion is to purchase young birds , I purchased mine in 2006 expecting to wait 5 years for them to breed but they bred at 2 and a half years old , all the babies in the photos are from that original pair

Thanks again for your wonderful compliments

Regards
Gratz
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Thanks for the advice, Gratz. We bred them up to 2010, but sold them to use the space for more IRN.