Albino vs. lutino

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Albino vs. lutino

Post by Skyes_crew »

Question....I was always taught that albino is a complete lack of pigment. Now I understand that lutino is incomplete albino. But what I want to know is why it is still considered albino. And how does the phenotype behave? All input greatly appreciated.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sheyd

Re: Albino vs. lutino

Post by sheyd »

I found this most interesting.

http://www.housesparrow.eu/pdfs/english ... nBirds.pdf

I am one of the few who believe that the Albino & Lutino IRN should be called a Blue Ino & Green Ino respectively..
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

am one of the few who believe that the Albino & Lutino IRN should be called a Blue Ino & Green Ino respectively..
Shey, in genetical terms that is the correct expression, however same as a Lavender it is used as a quick name rather then saying: Violet cinnamon.

Sky:
Lutino is simply INO green (without the blue). it should be no confussion at all, mutation wise: albino and lutino is the same complete mutation, only albino has blue added.
Alb_ino; (alb=white - from medieval latin "alba") refering to phenotype white & ino as the mutation.
the other variant is: albinism: absence of any pigmentation or coloration.

So generally speaking Albino & Lutino makes sense to me just as Lavender does.

Using the term incomplete here would be inappropriate,
calling Lutino "incomplete albino" is incorrect, it is just missing blue but it is a complete INO mutation.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I understand what you're saying Ben. But genetically speaking, albino in birds causes the pure white feathers, pink skin, and red eyes. Once you add color how does it maintain a complete albino mutation? Isn't it a partial at that point? Or does the mutation only have to maintain one of the criteria for it to still be considered an albino mutation?

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I just read the link you gave me Shey. I think I'm understanding it better now. Basically because carotenoids are in no way related to melanin production it is possible for the bird to have pigment. Thank you for that :) it was driving me crazy.

Thanks Ben for trying to help me too :)