What is the mutation where body is blue tail is violet?

Moderator: Mods

nalukaikamahine

What is the mutation where body is blue tail is violet?

Post by nalukaikamahine »

So....I took a picture of my hen the other day and shared it online...someone asked me what mutation she had that made her tail violet. I replied that it must have just been a weird flash from the camera or something.

This morning, upon actual investigation, I realized that her tail is indeed violet. Just part of it, and it looks like she dunked it in the water bowl or something. lol. It's purple with a grey sheen over it, and of course, the flash DOES make the purple more visible in pictures, but it's purple in real life as well.

Now, my question(s) is this. Is this a mutation? Chance luck? Or what? And also, now that she's showing violet, does this mean that she carries the violet to pass along to offspring?

Thanks everyone

Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

Skyes_crew

Re: What is the mutation where body is blue tail is violet?

Post by Skyes_crew »

The tail is definitely unique lol. The only thing I can think is violet blue cinnamon with odd color markings. Can you get a better pic of the wing outstretched? Thanks :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

nalukaikamahine

There's nothing exciting about her wings :( no color there except blue

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Unfortunately her wings are clipped therefore I can't see if the cinnamon is present. Was she always clipped? Also is that boomer? Because that wasn't there when you got her based on other pics you posted. Did it just show up one day? Did she molt out a new tail feather? Did she maybe get into something?

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The distribution of the "purple" colour getting the same "level" in the main tail feathers and the undertail feathers together with the sharp border between normal and altered pigment and a curve line following all the feathers showing this colour strongly suggest that the bird has put his tail inside some kind of dye or pigment. Not at all a mutation .... and this is something so remarkable that I can not believe that you did not notice it earlier :mrgreen:

Recio
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

I agree with Ricio

The tail looks like it has dye on it. :lol:

It might be bleech or peroxide that is involved here .

But it looks good , we might have a new fasion trend in the making (change after every moult :idea: )
nalukaikamahine

:oops: :oops:

I totally went to take more pictures and it was gone this morning. [And of course I went in there all pissed off that you think I'd go as far to dye my birds tail] The only thing I can think is that she dunked it in her water bowl? I was really excited there for a minute. Plus it was such a sharp contrast from the picture I had taken the day before...I just assumed I hadn't been paying attention,

I was a little shocked when I saw how purple it looked in the pictures [but again, the flash made it look much much more vibrant than it really was]

So yeah, my bird turns purple....but only when she's wet....and you take a picture with the camera flash on

nalukaikamahine

This is the picture from the day prior [when people started asking me questions about her tail] Yes, that's Boomer on the right. Apollo on the left.

I laughed and told them that no, her tail wasn't purple, that it must just be a funny flash or something from the camera.

So you imagine my surprise when I go in there to let them out and her tail is actually purplish-grey? I almost crapped my pants, and I furiously started trying to remember the last time that I really paid attention to her tail....ha ha ha

But, yeah, now that I compare the two it must have been her playing in her water bowl?

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

No harm lol :D it did look kind of cool :wink:

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi nalukaikamahine,

I own some blue and turquoise birds. They go for bath very often in summer time and they have never shown such a colour after their bath. Far more, I have taken a tail feather to put it into water for several hours ... and the colour remains the same ... no violet or purple at all.

I can see that your pics were taken in the washing room ... so I was wandering if the watter where the bird put his tail could contain some other ingredients (soap, shining products, bleach, ...) even at very low concentrations. Ex: if you used the same recipient to add bleach to your washing machine and to add water for the bath of your birds we could guess that a very low quantity of bleach was left in the watter and it could justify of the effect on the tail colour. Could you verify this? It would really help me in finding the good chemical to work on changes in feather structure.

It would be great if we could find a "chemical system" able to uncover structural mutations. These chemicals could change specific feather structures at specific pH and produce also specific colours under natural/flash ligthing. May be it could help in determining if Deep is or not a structural mutation, if Southafrican Deep is the same than Australian Deep, if Emerald is a structural mutation, ...

Regards

Recio
nalukaikamahine

Yeah, my house is small and my wash room in in my kitchen, I just didn't have the doors closed.

I think she just had her tail in her water bowl in her cage that morning, she didn't come in contact with anything but my hand between the time I took her out of the cage and took her pictures.

I felt her tail too! It didn't feel damp at the time, but you can't really trust me before I've had my morning coffee! lol

nalukaikamahine

And now, I'm totally going to put Boomer in the bath and take more pictures to see if her tail turns purple again when wet! lol

nalukaikamahine

Yes, yes she does. She turns purple when she's wet!

Does anyone else have a blue bird that can't test this theory?

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi nalukaikamahine,

If the water is only water ... then we should think that the blue IRN is something more than blue... since my blues do not appear violet when bathing. Anyway it would be great to bath another standard blue bird with your water and see what happen (sometimes the "normal" water composition changes enormously from country to country, specially ions concentrations).

In the pic besides the grey turquoise the blue bird shows a great iridescence, specially in the wing coverts ... could it be an Emerald? Could somebody owing an Emeradl bird test his colour after bathing? ... or just take a feather and put it into water? Despite that I have asked many times for feathers from Emeralds I never could get a single one ... so I can not perform the experiment by myself.

@Lee ... did you ever check your Mysti for the "water test"? ... they are also iridescent and with a changing colour depending on ligthing conditions ...

Regards

Recio
nalukaikamahine

I have no idea what an emerald would look like. I am still really new to colors and stuff. She is very shiny in real life as well as in the pictures. Parents were violet and blue [not sure if either of them were special in any way though]

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Just to throw a spanner in the works, have a look at this tail. The owner and I discussed it at length and he assured me that the old tail of the previous season looked the same.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Johan
Please tell me what the bird you just posted is

Thanks
Gratz
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Johan,

Could you get a pic of the whole tail feathers?

About the purple like colour after watering the birds ... I have got a similar colour after treating a tail feather with a mix of detergent and bleach at quite low concentration, but never with just water. Which one is responsible for the colour: the detergent? the bleach? ... or both of them?

I would like to set up an experiment to treat with a known threshold concentration of bleach and/or detergent feathers from different structural mutations expressed in blue series birds ... but I lack those birds (Deeps, Cobalts-Mauves, Emeralds, SA Deeps, Mysti, Kaki, ...). My idea is that every structural mutation has a different point of pH and/or of detergent concentration at which it destroys/changes feather structure so that the colour appears different. This could be used to differentiate different structural mutations.

Here is my postal address for those who want to collaborate and send some labelled feathers:

Joaquin Recio Calzada
197 bis route de Saint Simon
31100 Toulouse
France

By the way Johan ... you have most of these feathers ... and the skills to properly and quickly perform the experiment ...

Regards

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

Something else;

Twenty minutes ago I rinsed the glass 5 times with tapping water and then I put another feather inside with "just water". Now the feather appears again bleached. This means that extremely low concentration of bleach (hypochlorite of sodium) and/or detergent are enough to destroy/change feather structure. I think that bleach is more likely than detergent to be involved since there was not any foam present in the glass.

Recio
Last edited by Recio on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

If your thoughts are that the catalyst is chlorine...check your city's water treatment plant for known added level values. That could be the difference between her reaction and your recio.

Recio

Post by Recio »

Skyes_crew wrote:If your thoughts are that the catalyst is chlorine...check your city's water treatment plant for known added level values. That could be the difference between her reaction and your recio.
That's exactly what I was thinking since chlorine is used to make the water drinkible and the water concentrations depend on the water quality in each city.

The first feather has just dried and the bleaching effect has disappeared, just like with nalukaikamahine birds. Probably nalukaikamahine water contains far more chlorine than in other areas and it could expalin this bleaching effect.

Regards

Recio
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I wonder...if the experiments prove true...if that could effect feather structure internally over time based on environmental factors such as levels of acid rain, pollution in the air, suitable drinking and bathing water, even the pipes used to run the water. Interesting.....

nalukaikamahine

Our water is well water. No chlorine. ..just salt for the softener.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Very interesting. But there is still a plausible explanation since sodium chloride aka salt is still a dirivitive of chlorine.

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan, is it possible to get another picture of that tail- looks like there's smoke or something in the background- maybe causing that effect that we see?

Naluk- that's certainly different- my Blue does not re-act in the same way. Just out of interest, what does the water do to your TurqGrey?
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I stay on a smallholding and we have borehole water. It is high in calcium. Some of my blue series and parblues also end up with a purple tail after bathing.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

McmillanBirds wrote:I stay on a smallholding and we have borehole water. It is high in calcium. Some of my blue series and parblues also end up with a purple tail after bathing.

How close are you to the sea water?? Water that is high in calcium near sea water is usually calcium chloride.

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Recio wrote:Hi Johan,

Could you get a pic of the whole tail feathers?
By the way Johan ... you have most of these feathers ... and the skills to properly and quickly perform the experiment ...
Recio, that is the best picture of the tail I have. Unfortunately, more pictures is out of the question, as I stay far away from the owner. And I would be happy to do experiments, although I am thinking that the below quote will require a very exact/precise experimental setup would I might not be able to control to within the correct concentration level.
Recio wrote:Something else;

Twenty minutes ago I rinsed the glass 5 times with tapping water and then I put another feather inside with "just water". Now the feather appears again bleached. This means that extremely low concentration of bleach (hypochlorite of sodium) and/or detergent are enough to destroy/change feather structure. I think that bleach is more likely than detergent to be involved since there was not any foam present in the glass.
Skyes_crew wrote:I wonder...if the experiments prove true...if that could effect feather structure internally over time based on environmental factors such as levels of acid rain, pollution in the air, suitable drinking and bathing water, even the pipes used to run the water. Interesting.....
Very good point! I'm sure all of us have noticed the change in colour of the feather as it ages. Most of us consider that change caused by the sun bleaching the feather. Your suggestion puts a very interesting spin on things.
sheyd wrote:Johan, is it possible to get another picture of that tail- looks like there's smoke or something in the background- maybe causing that effect that we see?
Shey, I can give you my assurance that that picture is a 99% true representation of the tail. The surroundings not so much. It is an artifact of the lens and the light filtering through the tree to the right of the aviary (sun light from right to left), but the focal point is accurately represented. The 'haziness' is a shady area being out of focus. It was actually a hard day for photography, as the sun was very bright, creating excessive contrast with sun/shade.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Let's continue on "experimenting".

How would react the initially bleached feather which recovered its normal colour after drying when I put it again in tapping water in a clean glass?
Answer: it appears again bleached. Why? Two possibilities:
1. There is a very low quantity of bleach inside the dried feather structure so that it acts when put in a watter solution.
2. The feather structure has been altered in such a way that, even without any bleach, when you put the feather into water the apparent colour changes.

There is a third possibility : the detergent could be the causal agent by eliminating any protective oil from feathers so that water could go deep inside the feather structure, and produce the apparent purple colour. Even after drying there would not be any protective oil and a new watering would induce again an apparent bleaching. I am going to test it by treating a blue feather only with detergent (without any bleach).

Regards

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

Correction:

Just with detergent I can get the same purple colour than with detergent and bleach.
Anyway the idea of using acids or alcalis to act on feather structure is always valid.

Regards

Recio
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Sorry Johan, I was not aware that you'd seen the bird in person, and that you took the pic yourself :oops:

I haven't seen anything quite like that- might be will of those anomalies that we get from time to time- and would be interesting to see if the tail is passed on through offspring.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Johan S wrote:Just to throw a spanner in the works, have a look at this tail. The owner and I discussed it at length and he assured me that the old tail of the previous season looked the same.

Could this happen in the same way a half sider happens??

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I wish it did...then maybe my brain could turn off finally lol

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

sheyd wrote:Sorry Johan, I was not aware that you'd seen the bird in person, and that you took the pic yourself :oops:

I haven't seen anything quite like that- might be will of those anomalies that we get from time to time- and would be interesting to see if the tail is passed on through offspring.
No worries, no harm done. :D

This might be a modification. Time will tell. Wouldn't mind if it passed on, though.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Skyes_crew wrote:
McmillanBirds wrote:I stay on a smallholding and we have borehole water. It is high in calcium. Some of my blue series and parblues also end up with a purple tail after bathing.

How close are you to the sea water?? Water that is high in calcium near sea water is usually calcium chloride.
About 70-80kms
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Recio...

I experimented for a couple of hours yesterday on my blue tail feathers. Here are my findings.

Experiment one-
I used the same base tap water in four glasses. To one glass I added sea salt. To the second, table salt. To the third, dish detergent. The fourth, stayed plain tap water.

Sea salt - feather turned purple
Table salt - feather turned purple
Detergent - feather turned purple
Tap water - feather turned purple

Experiment two-
I used bottled water in four new glasses. To one glass I added sea salt. To the second I added bleach. To the third I added detergent. The fourth stayed plain bottled water.

Bleach - feather turned purple
Bottled water - no reaction

Conclusion: the common denominator in your tap water Recio, mcmillan's borehole, and nalukaikamahine's well is chlorine. Boreholes and well's typically have very hard water and sodium chloride is used to soften the water and remove calcium. Sodium chloride is a compound of equal parts sodium and chlorine. My tap water here in Hawaii has higher than normal amounts of chlorine because of the close proximity to sea water. Sea water contains calcium chloride which is another compound that contains chlorine. Furthermore, the process used in which to make dish soap, infuses the fatty compound with sodium chloride to make it more water soluble. So my final conclusion, based on my own experimentation only, is that chlorine is the catalyst that changes the feather structure enough to cause the purple color when wet.

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Skyes_crew,

Our experiments show the same results. The tap water here in Toulouse (France) is of very good quality and the quantity of chlorine added is very low, so I get the same results with my tapping water than you with the bottled water.

Is just chlorine in cause or it si mainly the detergent effect? Experiment to do: to add NaOH (hydroxyde of sodium) to bottled watter. Here you are sure that chlorine is not at work. The NaOH combined with the oil protecting feathers will produce the detergent eliminating every protection and we should be able to test if just detergent is able to bleach the feathers ... although the pH should increase and we could say that the decrease in the acidity is the responsible of bleaching and not just the detergent action.

Regards

Recio
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Recio,

I can pick up some Lye this weekend to experiment with. Although my husband will think I'm insane lol. As it is pool season here I could obtain something to balance the PH, an alkalinity neutralizer, so that PH is not a factor. What is your recommended ppl with the lye?

I see lye as being very caustic, how does it work with the oils to produce a detergent affect?

Thanks
Melissa

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

The process to produce soap is called saponification and it basicly consists in mixing a fatty sustance with NaOH (lye). For further information see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponification

If you take a little amount of NaOH powder with your hands and you add water you will notice that soap appears "spontaneously" in your hands. This is due to the reaction of saponification between the fatty acids produced by your skin glands and the NaOH solved in a water solution. If you put a feather Inside a NaOH solution the oïl protecting the feather will disappear and the pH will become alcaline (pH > 7) due to a decrease in [H]+ which is "used" to produce water: H(+) and OH(-) produce H2O.

Regards

Recio
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sky Wrote:
Experiment one-
I used the same base tap water in four glasses. To one glass I added sea salt. To the second, table salt. To the third, dish detergent. The fourth, stayed plain tap water.

Recio wrote:
About the purple like colour after watering the birds ... I have got a similar colour after treating a tail feather with a mix of detergent and bleach at quite low concentration, but never with just water. Which one is responsible for the colour: the detergent? the bleach? ... or both of them?

As I was eating my salted sunflower seeds ( :lol: Yes i do...) I was reading Sky's expermient and i realised i already had salt and tap water next to me so i grabbed 2 random feathers one i think is deep blue and one df violet +- dark and my results:
tap water + salt = almost 2 days no change
Tap water + salt + high concentration of detergent = almost 2 days, no change

so i guess based on that mini experiment the results point to an answer to Recio's question quoted above: just bleach does the job (or v unlikely both together).
detergent on its own (+salt) did not do anything to the 2 feathers.

Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Ben,

I found that a normal blue tail feather was bleached with just detergent but not with only tap water (high quality tap water with little chlorine) ... so I am wandering if your results depend on a different feather structure (Deeps, Dark, Violet) being more "resistent" to the effects of detergent or on the addition of salt. Could you do again the experiment adding a normal blue feather and just detergent and tap water, without any salt added? I am going to do the mix tapping water and detergent with and without salt ona normal blue feather.

Regards

Recio
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Recio,
I'd like to do it, however...
In my collection of feathers i do not have a blue 1 :roll:
I only have 1 normal blue (split chf) bird and his hen is sitting on eggs.
i'm sure someone will put his/her hand up to do the test, a few tests would be even better.
*** I'm going to try again without salt and more feathers.
You said:
.. so I am wandering if your results depend on a different feather structure (Deeps, Dark, Violet) being more "resistent" to the effects of detergent or on the addition of salt.

It seems to be so.

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I am fascinated. If I had to pick between the stripped oils theory and the chlorine theory, I would have to pick chlorine as the cause of the "bleaching" or purple effect.
Do we know what the general chemical makeup of a feather is? Keratin? I'm going to look this up.

My sister is a chemical engineer, I think I might ask her opinion. I might also run some experiments with my blue violet's feathers--he's been loosing some lately.
trabots

Post by trabots »

IMO it is the structure of the feather that is altered when wet, not any pigments. Different chemicals in the water merely change the refractive index of the water so altering the apparent RI of the feather structure. I presume the feather resumes its normal colour after it has dried irrespective of which water was used?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Skyes_crew wrote:Recio...

I experimented for a couple of hours yesterday on my blue tail feathers. Here are my findings.

Experiment one-

Experiment two-
I used bottled water in four new glasses. To one glass I added sea salt. To the second I added bleach. To the third I added detergent. The fourth stayed plain bottled water.

Bleach - feather turned purple
Bottled water - no reaction

Conclusion: the common denominator in your tap water Recio, mcmillan's borehole, and nalukaikamahine's well is chlorine. Boreholes and well's typically have very hard water and sodium chloride is used to soften the water and remove calcium. Sodium chloride is a compound of equal parts sodium and chlorine. My tap water here in Hawaii has higher than normal amounts of chlorine because of the close proximity to sea water. Sea water contains calcium chloride which is another compound that contains chlorine. Furthermore, the process used in which to make dish soap, infuses the fatty compound with sodium chloride to make it more water soluble. So my final conclusion, based on my own experimentation only, is that chlorine is the catalyst that changes the feather structure enough to cause the purple color when wet.
That is the point I made in my own conclusion :)

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Willy:
I presume the feather resumes its normal colour after it has dried irrespective of which water was used?

Yes it does go back when dry.

Sky: Your experiment is great Thank you, however we can not replicate (so far) your results.

I just done a tap water and detergent and it did remove the color, nothing unusual it was the normal rustic color you get when birds get really wet.
Intrestingly these feathers (2 of them) did not lose color when i had them in(1st test): salt+detergent+tap water however it did when no salt was added. :roll:

Question still remains: Why Sky's blue bird turns violet when wet !?
It's possible your blue is more then just blue, if so : What?

I had experimented with 4-5 feathers inc dark, violet, lavender and deep and non gave me violet when wet.

Sky: Any chance you can get a blue feather from the breeder you know? preferably not related to yours, and do the same tests again, no rush just an idea.
83IV

Last edited by Ring0Neck on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

okay, you all got me.. I will test my Blue lol
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Shey!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sure I can do that. Ill be out his way Monday.

I've been thinking about my experiment...Ben, I believe the difference lies in our tap water. Like I said, I have a higher level of chlorine in my tap water. All of my glasses having been previously washed in tap water could have altered my results when using the bottled water. So I am going to redo the experiment with both my blues feather and my breeders feather using disposable plastic cups. I will post the results on Tuesday. In the meantime...what kind of salt are you using?

Also, a thought on the blue tail feather vs. the deep, dark, violet tal feathers. It is my theory that with the blue feather,the chlorine is able to alter the structure of the feather to produce a dark pigment such as violet. But a dark, deep or violet feather already maintains the structure of a dark pigment and therefore can not be altered further. :D

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Could be !

Let's wait for Shey's results from her blue, curious if Shey's tests will be able to replicate your results.