violet hens

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

violet hens

Post by angeldc77 »

Do violet hens tend to grow a darker ring than a blue? I just got a DNA DF violet hen that has a pretty dark shadow of a ring. Almost like you would see In immature male.
Jayjess2013

Re: violet hens

Post by Jayjess2013 »

Hi! I my pastel blue hen is DNA tested, and has a very dark ring, she was sold to us as a girl, but we confused her for a male. The blood test did confirm that she was a hen- I think that some mutations may have a darker ring, the other thing that helped us identify was her behaviour and shape- rounder head, puffer body etc. and she didn't display in mirrors, she is bossier and has less noises than our male. Put in front of a mirror and see if the bird displays, or see her shape- is the head round or squarish?
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars

Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi, just want to add on the head shape of ringnecks, on looking at my birds, I have noticed that the females tend to have a flattened section just after the nare, whilst the males have a more rounded head, this is from looking at the bird from the side

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lushen,

You've noticed a rounder head in your males? I too have noticed that in my birds, but it goes against what all the websites say. I thought the females had the rounder heads?

Melissa
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

That's what I thought it be.... Males with squarer heads. This is confusing, like you said many websites boast females have rounder heads. I suppose every bird is different
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars