SL Edged

Moderator: Mods

madas

Re: SL Edged

Post by madas »

sheyd wrote: Pic below shows feet and upper and lower mandible
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47 ... af1dfb.jpg
On my PC excatly this pic is showing a cinnamon blue bird with a Misty grey overlay. :(

(blue all over the body) ???

If you take the pipette tool of a image processing software and click onto the head or belly under the wings you will always endup with a blue color tone. Strange.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

I go with Lee about Cinnamon: it does not look Cinnamon to me in either the feet or the beak.
And I also go with Madas thinking that another structural mutation is at work. Which one? He did not through any cobalt or violet offspring, so I always bet for a head ligthining mutation. We need inbreeding experiments with its offspring or its parents to know which one.

@Madas: where did you pick that Misty acts on eumelanins?

Regards

Recio
madas

Post by madas »

Recio wrote: @Madas: where did you pick that Misty acts on eumelanins?
http://az-agz-farben-genetik.jimdo.com/def-misty/

Attached a pic of a cinnamon blue male. The body color looks grey as well. :) Now add Misty in ef or df. How will such a bird look like???

madas

Post by madas »

and a cinnamon green as well.

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Madas, that website also refers to slaty, which could be the mutation expressed in IRN and not the same melanistic misty mutation of the link. Or perhaps both are displayed in IRN and we still need to sort them out (I believe this to be the case). Pity I can only go on what Google translate spits out. :(
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Shady, as promised heres your pics..grey series misty cock. head appears blue .. is actually grey.

The problem with any discussion concerning the misty is the limited exposure keepers have to the mutation..ie if they saw a grey misty..then all submissions are made on the basis of that particular allele... until they see some new grey (allele)and that is not likely to happen often.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Madas,

Pity German is a so complicated language!!! The information in this web site is very important and I guess it comes from an international publication, very probably itself written in English. Could we acces the original report?

There are somethings which are not clear to me. They say that Misty shows a reduction in eumelanin but when looking at the next schema, eumelanin seems to be increased. I guess this is something related to the intrafeather distribution of melanin but I can not grasp it from this web.

Something else: as you can see the outer part of the cortex in the Misty feather has been outlined in grey instead of in black. Why? Is it related to a change in the outer part of the feather cortex as I was suggesting?

Any idea of the original report?

Thanks

Recio
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

Hi Recio I don't understand German however I've been reading diagrams for most of my life and what I think they are illustrating is the eumalanin in the Misty appeares smugged (blurred) giving it a more noticable appearance than the wild type depicted.Perhaps this is what gives Misty it's grey washed look. Very interesting subject and information just the same.
madas

Post by madas »

Recio wrote: Pity German is a so complicated language!!!
Even for natives. :D
Recio wrote: The information in this web site is very important and I guess it comes from an international publication, very probably itself written in English. Could we acces the original report?
Hm, don't know if there is an original? The pics of the feather structure look excatly like the one in the book of Terry Martin. So probably some of the notes are taken from it too. I don't know but i can ask if you want.
Recio wrote: There are somethings which are not clear to me. They say that Misty shows a reduction in eumelanin but when looking at the next schema, eumelanin seems to be increased. I guess this is something related to the intrafeather distribution of melanin but I can not grasp it from this web.
They say the eumelanin is reduced marginal ("minimalen Eumelanin-Reduktion") but is stored in a more voluminous way. You can compare it with a glass of milk which is half empty (or full). This state should represent the eumelanin for a wildtype feather. For misty you put a drinking straw into the glass and take a small sip of milk. After that you blow into the drinking straw and get a nice milk foam on top. :) And so the volume of the milk (Eumelanin) has seemingly increased although it was reduced by a small portion.

greetings.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thank you very much for the pics Lee- they are appreciated :D
Recio

Post by Recio »

madas wrote:Hm, don't know if there is an original? The pics of the feather structure look excatly like the one in the book of Terry Martin. So probably some of the notes are taken from it too. I don't know but i can ask if you want.
Please, I think we all really want :P

Recio
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

This morning I had to fix the perch & reluctantly checked the nestbox of the blue/chf x young Edged EmeraldBlue while there only to find to my surprise 3 eggs in the nest :shock:
Didn't expected the hen to lay as she looked rather young and not ready i thought.
Hope they're fertile.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ben, I didn't realise you had an edged bird with an emerald gene. Can you post a picture, please? :D
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan,

I did show pics of her in a previous thread.
Old pics, i'll see if i can find more recent 1s.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Stunning. :D
Traceyweller

Post by Traceyweller »

2014 Youngster

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Nigel, a very nice bird indeed. Can't wait to see that one on the perch :D
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

For anyone still following this cock, he and his hen (Wildtype Green) are sitting on 3 eggs- due to hatch around 22nd Oct
sheyd wrote: Image
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

That's great news, Shey. Would be interesting to see what they produce.
hossameldin_22

Post by hossameldin_22 »

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:That's great news, Shey. Would be interesting to see what they produce.
sheyd wrote:For anyone still following this cock, he and his hen (Wildtype Green) are sitting on 3 eggs- due to hatch around 22nd Oct
Thanks Johan :)

Update:
3/3 eggs have hatched- all appear to have dark (normal) eyes. Now to wait and see how they feather- any non edged will be dna sexed- time couldn't go slower.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Update:
3/3 eggs have hatched- all appear to have dark (normal) eyes. Now to wait and see how they feather- any non edged will be dna sexed- time couldn't go slower.
update
chicks are a couple of weeks and a few days old now- all have light nails- tipping all to be edged at this stage
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

sheyd wrote:
Update:
update
chicks are a couple of weeks and a few days old now- all have light nails- tipping all to be edged at this stage
All chicks with light nails would point to male being DF.
The question that keeps popping into my mind is Why the original Edged have black nails in SF and labeled as Dominant?
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutation ... .Edged.htm

How did we end up with light nails and almost clear flights? unless a crossover happened early in the piece (10+ years)
and in fact our edged with light nails and heavily bleached primaries could be a crossed over combo edged-cinn?

In the event that we have a crossover with cinnamon it could also explain the inheritance being SL D (1 inheritance mode from each mutation) and the light interim colored nails.

Thoughts?
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:All chicks with light nails would point to male being DF.
yes, that's what it's looking like so far. I've just checked, and two of the chicks are Green (tipping one cock and one hen due to nails)- the last which is a few days younger is not showing any colouring at all. Will be interesting to compare these new chicks to the Green edge birds I already have-
Edit- youngest chick is also Green- none have inherited Grey. Now to wait and see what they'll look like in a few weeks time.
The question that keeps popping into my mind is Why the original Edged have black nails in SF and labeled as Dominant?
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutation ... .Edged.htm
I think perhaps it is a misprint or wasn't closely observed- how many SL Edged overseas have black nails? I don't recall seeing any at all. Hens seem to have lighter nails than cocks too- my own personal observations.
How did we end up with light nails and almost clear flights? unless a crossover happened early in the piece (10+ years)
and in fact our edged with light nails and heavily bleached primaries could be a crossed over combo edged-cinn?
In the event that we have a crossover with cinnamon it could also explain the inheritance being SL D (1 inheritance mode from each mutation) and the light interim colored nails.
Thoughts?
I don't know too much about crossovers, so can't comment on that