36%
I pick the 1 on the right
64%

Total votes: 36

Ring0Neck

Pick One - Cast your vote !

Post by Ring0Neck »

never tried polls b4 so here goes 1

Assume you can pick a free ringneck to take home, which one would you take home?
Decision based only on what you see.

Last edited by Ring0Neck on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Re: Pick One

Post by sheyd »

I'd pick the Creamino just so I could study it :lol:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,

She is Pallid ;)
One of her mutations

I have her for the same reason.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ah, your birds

okay, let me re-phrase...I'd pick the "creamino" looking one just so I could study it lol (not that I have any aviary space left) :lol:

Seriously though- she is not what I'd expect from that combo (I know what she is).
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

she is not what I'd expect from that combo

I agree !

so far i know 100% that she is:
Parblue Violet Pallid

Suspect df violet based on parents & offspring
suspect homo. turq or indigo-turq based on parents, offspring & phenotype
the closest phneotype i found so far involved indigo
as you can see the head color is not light as it should but body color
i suspect an additional rec. mutation.

When she was young it looked just like the others in the nest turq. violet pallid
after first molt she started losing the violet color by way of dilution (see tail)
and slight increased dilution overtime till maturity
now raising 4 y o

I talked about this bird in a post a while back.

Her daughter
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I am wanting to see the sire cock of this bird- just to rule out Pallidino.

If she is a a Turquoise df Violet ino..
then it would probably explain the violet tinge- but before we go any further-do you have any pics of her clearly showing that she is a Pallid?

Love the colour of her daughter

Nice birds :)

Reason for my belief until I see otherwise:
see Mada's df Violet sf Dark CT can't remember exact, but it did not have a white tail due to all the added pigment if it can do that to a CT, why not a Blue Ino?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,
I wish it was.
Then i would just have to figure out which mutation is responsible for breaking color through ino in reverse.
(to my knowledge all creaminos have only white flights&tail.)
could only be Indigo or emerald (pretty sure she's not emerald but not a certainty.)

* I bought the hen when she was 2yo(both parents turq. pallids), no prior pics.
The only very few breeders i knew that had turquoise X turquoise pairings.
i also got her daughter which is my preferred bird btw.
Breeder said: when the "daughter" broke feathers we thought it was a black bird.(this hen is in my avatar pic)
The only offspring in her first year, 3 last year with a blue male, all turq. violets (kept none).
I paired her to male next to her for this year. Fun n Games keeps breeding interesting.
------------
BTW Australia just qualified in football for the Brazil World Cup finals :lol:

Daughter belly up

You said: Reason for my belief until I see otherwise:
see Mada's df Violet sf Dark CT can't remember exact, but it did not have a white tail due to all the added pigment if it can do that to a CT, why not a Blue Ino?

why not a Blue Ino? - breeding results tell us so.
CTs, unfortunately many of them don't have clear/white tails CTs in any color. Breeders certainly select breed the best CTs that being: the clearer the tail the better.
description of CT's Tail: Very pale, nearly yellow or white.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:
You said: Reason for my belief until I see otherwise:
why not a Blue Ino? - breeding results tell us so.
CTs, unfortunately many of them don't have clear/white tails CTs in any color. Breeders certainly select breed the best CTs that being: the clearer the tail the better.
description of CT's Tail: Very pale, nearly yellow or white. [/color]
Breeding results tell us that a Blue Ino's have a "bluish" sheen in certain lights esp when first hatched. In an adult bird the best time to observe this sheen would be right after moulting- when the feathers are the newest and not faded.
I have been trying to find a DF Violet Ino- or a sf Dark sf Violet Blue Ino just to see...until I find one I'm not willing to dismiss the idea that Violet or Dark won't/shouldn't show up differently than to what we already know.

I use the descriptions on the Psittacula krameri website as a guide only- but so many follow it as gospel- example; nothing more frustrating than having to prove over and over that Pallid's (over 6 weeks) don't have red eyes (except when first hatched and then, when eyes have changed to blue only under certain flashes!)
But here:
Eyes: Darkred with yellowish iris.
Here is a pic-

in this pic you can make out the violet feathers on the head- (the joys of having h/r birds :wink: ) I haven't studied her close up for awhile, but I'd be willing to bet that these aren't so nearly prominent anymore as what they were when she was going through her first moult-
From the website-
Head: Yellow or White, brighter around the beak; neck ring grey with rose or white in cocks.

Anyhow...I'd love to know your results if you ever paired her (your bird) with a Pallid :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Shey,

Glad to see you are up for a challange.
One thing is for sure: Phenotype of this bird is not as expected we all agree and i am open to suggestions but Turq-Ino is not one that sticks.

As I said: I wish it was. and i am always willing to brainstorm.
I have been trying to find a DF Violet Ino- or a sf Dark sf Violet Blue Ino just to see

I will not see anything i have not seen. nsl-ino might show a higher degree of the blue sheen.
I had lutino-violet & albino-violet since 2008 and clutch after clutch i have seen ino interact with violet, seen the sheen although that's not a color.
Here's an Albino from last season, both parents carried violet gene. I've given it to a friend, she might breed this year so it could prove to be a df violet-ino
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/ino.jpg

Plan is next year to pair her up with Deep Blue Pallid male, the one in the middle(from Willy).

Check out the sheen on this violet deep? pallid - pic edited but sheen was caught by the camera as you see it on the bird.
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/sheen.jpg

Look at this Grey Ct hen, not much white in the tail, although it will get whiter.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Ben,
Have you considered the possibility of cinnamon being involved.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Kappa,

Yes I have and it is a possibility.

The thing that throws me off cinnamon is the depth of the body color, very strong, whereas cinnamon would make it lime.

Cinnamon is on the list of possibles though.

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,

Not sure which bird you're referring to. Deep blue pallid?
here's another pic of him
http://parakeet.me/irn/d/deeppld.jpg
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Have you considered mating her back with her son? Maybe it would give you some answers.

I agree, Lee- the tail on the daughter (actually the whole bird) is divine.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey

I have no sons from her, it is an option to keep some back this year, it has to keep me intrigued since all males will be split pallid at least
depends on many factors like cage space to play.
She is part of my curiousity program not my main breeding program.
pic of her in full sun taken 15/12/12
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:Shey

I have no sons from her, it is an option to keep some back this year, it has to keep me intrigued since all males will be split pallid at least
depends on many factors like cage space to play.
She is part of my curiousity program not my main breeding program.
pic of her in full sun taken 15/12/12
That's the thing though- I don't think she is Pallid (not sure what she is).
looking forward to your results next year

Actually I take that back- she comes close to this (Violet TurquoiseBlue Pallid) hen Just add Cinnamon and df Turq then you'd probably get a phenotype close to yours: http://www.fabulousparrots.com.au/photos.cfm

I think what is causing the most confusion for me are her wing markings- but then isn't there more than one type of Pallid? (looks like Ron has both types)
My Pallid wing markings (note the white & grey markings where yours appear violet)
:Image
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

This is what i have found:
Mick has a Turq. violet(blue)? cinnamon pallid and it looks like my bird however much lighter in color or is it?
tail and flight feathers look white to me but the head is same as my bird
http://www.karmicaviaries.com/RingnecksGallery1.htm

as far as your doubts Shey it should end here :D
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Lol you'd be wrong then!

seen that one and considered it for yours- but I reckon it would be more greenish (more than what it appears in that) if there were a better pic of it :)

but yes, that is probably the closest you'll find.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

So I guess the question is: What else (besides Cinnamon) turns green pigment on the body yellow?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I think we can go one better.

Firstly to get a pallid yellow in color you just add Turquoise, see pic (not the best shot) below:
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/turqPallid.jpg
Clearly this bird is nowhere near as strong yellow as the hen in Q.
Adding cinnamon would dilute the yellow to a lime, not enhance it.

I think it's all in the Parblue
As we can see in the daughter a complete head n body darker color, that in a pallid would look strong yellow also.

I suspect one of the following could be giving us the pheotype:

an Indigo-Turq combo?

a Homo. Turquoise

or emerald-turq or indigo (unlikely but possible)
of course there can be an additional mutation but not neccesarily

I include Emerald because of her daughter's phenotype, see belly up pic above.
I have never seen a turq. to completely cover the bird's belly and underside of the tail with a unified color.

83IV
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

We need to be able to identify Indigo-Turquoise
We need to know what that bird should look like.
Although it's not going to be easy - we at least should try, and try I shall.
I got my bro to pair up df violet green/pallid/turq? or /blue? X df Indigo Pallid
If male is /turq it should give us 50% offspring: indigo-turquoise; in pallid as well.
I am curious to see if the birds darkens similar to my hen & its daughter. If so that will explain my hen's phenotype.
I also paired grey pied X df indigo - to test if indigo gave Ron grey-black birds.
I have also paired a grey/INO mask violet X df indigo pallid
I did this because i remember back in 08 i have seen pics of Murphy's (Oz breeders will remember) Lutino Indigo and it's phenotype was like an aquaINO. He claimed at the time that he had Aquas which i'm told were just Indigo birds but then how did he get a Lutino Indigo? aqua looking? If any OZ breeders have pics from him please email me.

Many breeders even if they understand Indigo they simply think a light turquoise bird.
I say Indigo is a lot more than that, it's closer to emerald then you'd believe

Gratz

Re: Pick One - Cast your vote !

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben
I know the bird you are referring to , Ross Murphy labeled it LEMON, he then went on to call it a pastel aqua ino,.
The bird looks like a pale creamino. The pics I had from Ross were in my very old and out of date computer , but I will have a look through some of the magazines I have tomorrow as I know I have it saved away . I'll try to take a pic from the magazine and post it for you.

Gratz
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Many breeders even if they understand Indigo they simply think a light turquoise bird.
I say Indigo is a lot more than that, it's closer to emerald then you'd believe
Ben I'm glad you said that , when I got my (pastel aqua) from Ross Murphy , if the bird had no pastel you would swear it was an Emerald .And yes sadly many have mistakenly assumed they had an indigo but in reality only had light turquoise bird .
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hello, so how would one know if they have an indigo instead of a lightly turquoise bird, what are the identitying features from pin feathers in the nest to a mature bird that has past the 27 month moult?

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Gratz , That would be great.

Lushen:
so how would one know if they have an indigo instead of a lightly turquoise bird

That's a great Question !!

I want to know the answer to that question also. (besides the distinguishables we already know)
I Mean i want to find a certain way to be precise,
take for example IF: an Indigo-Ino would look like aqua, combined washed color as opposed to creamino we know. Then we would establish the phenotype between the 2 mutations and anyone in doubt can test mate his/her Indigo?!.
I am looking for a distinct difference between the turq. & Indigo
A diff. result when combined with another mutation - to make a concise difference between an Indigo blue & light Turquoise blue.
Hopefully something will come up from this year's pairings, hope we can work collectively.
It is not how much you or i know and don't tell anyone, that era is long gone. Working openly will open new possibilites.

Take :The Ring for example: I believe that the male Indigo white & black neckring is not an indicator of Indigo but we should see it in reverse.
The ring white & black helps us identify Indigo because most Indigos have no red but not because of the mutation but by its effect. any mutation that gets an exact phenotype exactly the same as Indigo will also have red absent from the neck ring. This is how i look at it in my own words.

Through colaboration, analisys and numerous tests anything can be achieved.

Last edited by Ring0Neck on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Lushen and Ben
If you have 2 birds side by side , one turquoise or even light turquoise for that matter and the other an indigo blue , you wil know which one is which , there is a distinct difference in the shade of green , to try to explain it the way I know from my experience the green of a turquoise is bright green almost flurescent whereas the indigo is like a blue lagoon or deep see green, when it was called aqua I can see why. If you have a look at the cock bird in my first pic on the (white on white) thread you will see what I mean , ps this bird was a Ross Murphy bird I purchased in 2006

Gratz
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Gratz,

I have plenty of Indigo and i have no trouble identifying one.
The question is deeper then just being able to pick Indigo from Turquoise.

For example: how can you prove to a breeder that Indigoblue is not a light Turquoiseblue? when he simply thinks otherwise. (We breeders have this trait of being stuborn. We treat it as a quality assett and perhaps it is.)
Without solid evidence one would not easily accept them as being 2 separate mutations.

Another one: Say in a country in the world where they have no Indigo.
someone finds a light Turquoise and says: is this a turquoise or Indigo? a cross mutation test would solve the problem.
phenotype can be misleading as we know, especially photos.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben
as promised, not a great pic but I think it will give you the idea
Image.
if you can get a hold of an old issue , its" Australian Aviary Life" issue 02/08 Mar-Apr 2008
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

For example: how can you prove to a breeder that Indigoblue is not a light Turquoiseblue? when he simply thinks otherwise. (We breeders have this trait of being stuborn. We treat it as a quality assett and perhaps it is.)
Without solid evidence one would not easily accept them as being 2 separate mutations.

Ben , good question

if someone wants to believe that indigo is different from turquoise they will listen and observe the differences,
the first step is for them to be able to see and accept that they are different.
I am hoping to see an indigo blue cleartail this breeding season , I think it will show a distinct difference between the indigo blue cleartail compared to the turquoise blue cleartail, compared to the difference between an indigo blue and a turquoise.

time will tell
trabots

Post by trabots »

The proofs are already there in the breeding of IndigoBlue Pallids. As is evident in the IndigoBlue CHCT and the other clear headed mutations, IndigoBlues will usually show a much lighter yellow head than the TurquoiseBlues. The depth of yellow in these clear of melanin heads is the truest indicator of the levels of psitticin in these birds. I will qualify this however as always, there may well be the rare dark IndigoBlue that has a darker head than that of an equally rare light TurquoiseBlue. There could be overlap from the variance in each mutation, although I have not seen it personally.

IndigoBlue in CHCT allows the bird to remain blue in colour which is great in Violet etc. In Pieds the effect is even greater, no scrambled eggs on the back and a Parblue Pied bird which is blue not green.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Gratz, Thanks heaps for the photo.
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Any time Ben,
I have a feeling you are on to something ,good luck , fingers crossed for you ,I'm sure we will all hear about it sooner or later.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Gratz,

I hope so too.

Regarding the picture. I did not read the article yet however.. I wish i knew the parents of this bird.
I received an email from Dave (you probably know him) and he said that only lacewings(pallids) were ever bred from this bird.
So the genetical makeup of this bird could only be Indigo-PallidIno?! and had to be a male.
Even so, he would have thrown the occasional INO hen, even if paired to a Pallid.
Eyes in the pic would indicate Pallid but i have indigo pallid in sf & df Indigo and they are blue looking birds not yellow.

PS with a bit of luck if my pair breeds (young hen) i could get the Indigo-Pallidino males & Indigo-Ino hens from this pair.
Thoughts?

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben

The father of the bird was what Ross called (pastel aqua split ino) , I'm not sure what the hen was I'm only guessing it was the pastel aqua cinnamon hen that he bred, the cinnamon would explain the yellow.
By the way when Ross introduced cinnamon into the indigo(aqua) he claims that he never bred a pastel sky blue, which he claims that it is more proof that indigo(aqua) is a different mutation than a turquoise
Oldnag63

Post by Oldnag63 »

I would take the blue one :) Just cause i like the color blue ;) (probably calling it wrong color)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Oldnag63 no it's not blue you right.

Hi Gratz,
Great info, keep it coming!
so was the "Lemon" a male then?

Gratz wrote: By the way when Ross introduced cinnamon into the indigo(aqua) he claims that he never bred a pastel sky blue, which he claims that it is more proof that indigo(aqua) is a different mutation than a turquoise

It probably means he only had hens in cinnamon , it will only give him males/cinn.

If not, there has to be another explanation, his reasoning is wrong. His conclusion is not based on facts but missing facts to support a theory.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

It probably means he only had hens in cinnamon , it will only give him males/cinn.

That's correct Ben
He introduced a blue cinnamon into his breeding program and produced a indigo blue split cinnamon cock bird which 2 years later bred for him his first ( pastel aqua cinnamon hen)
Sorry for using the terms aqua and pastel , I'm just putting them in to refer to Ross Murphy's quotes,
I haven't seen any pics of the cinnamon bird ,ps I'm not sure if the lemon was a cock or hen but I'm sure Dave would have had many conversations with Ross and if that's what he told him I believe that , but if it's true that the lemon bred pallids it must be a hen , paired up to a pallid or split pallid cock is the only way it would produce pallids ?.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I haven't seen any pics of the cinnamon bird ,ps I'm not sure if the lemon was a cock or hen but I'm sure Dave would have had many conversations with Ross and if that's what he told him I believe that ,

Dave did not say what sex the bird was. (you could ask him :D)

but if it's true that the lemon bred pallids it must be a hen , paired up to a pallid or split pallid cock is the only way it would produce pallids ?.

I am assuming: if Lemon was a male it should be Indigo-PallidINO.
I'm assuming male because we can not get Indigo-PallidINO in hens.
The only other explanation would be to move away from INO and assume Cinnamon instead .... then it can also be a hen :!:
What did Ross think Lemon's genetical makeup is?
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Gratz,
For the lemon to be a pallid she would have had to produce pallids in both cocks and hens. Can you verify this? Otherwise a split cock or even a visual cock would only produce pallid hens with her.

Ben,
This new info still has me thinking that your hen is an indigo violet cinnamon pallid.
Cheers Kappa.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Ben,
I should have stated either turquoise or indigo.
Kappa
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa,
Yes, it can :!:
Here's what Todd said a few years back in this forum:
Thread Link
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... mon+pallid
Coastal-Birds wrote: Hi FAH and Recio
I took these pics today of my young greygreen cinnamon pallid and the wing of my 2yr old grey cinnamon pallid.
The grey i have its wing open to show the dark brown feathers and the non lacewing effect.
The young greygreen seems to be more like a true lacewing but genetics say it has to be a greygreen cinnamon pallid.

Conclusion based on this info: Cinnamon + Pallid + ?Indigo? or green series = Darkens the head :idea: almost beyond recognition of the bird being a Pallid !
Are we on the right track???

Could it be that Todd's bird was in fact an Indigo+-blue Grey Pallid Cinnamon? He was asking the same question, in other words the bird does not look what it's supposed to be since the 2 y old (see wing) is so dark, something did not fit when both birds should look the same.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Kappa
No I don't think the lemon is a pallid or pallidino , as the father is a indigo blue split ino
Ben wrote
I received an email from Dave (you probably know him) and he said that only lacewings(pallids) were ever bred from this bird.
So the genetical makeup of this bird could only be Indigo-PallidIno?! and had to be a male.
Even so, he would have thrown the occasional INO hen, even if paired to a Pallid.
This is why I think the (lemon) is a hen and all the pallids bred from the birds are hens as well,would be pretty odd to breed only hens though !

Ben,
About the makeup of the bird , all I know is that the cock bird (father of the lemon)is what Ross called a pastel aqua split ino. That's why I think the mother could be the pastel aqua cinnamon hen.
What could you breed from that combination ? Definatly not pallid
I think the lemon is a combination of indigo ino cinnamon
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Gratz,
About the makeup of the bird , all I know is that the cock bird (father of the lemon)is what Ross called a pastel aqua split ino. That's why I think the mother could be the pastel aqua cinnamon hen.
What could you breed from that combination ? Definatly not pallid
I think the lemon is a combination of indigo ino cinnamon

From that pairing you'd get:
in males: turquoise, Indigo & Turquoise-indigo (in split ino or and cinnamon)
Hens: indigo, turquoise, indigo-turquoise & indigo-INO, turquoise-INO, indigo-turquoise-Ino
If the above were the parents perhaps the Lemon is a hen, possibly indigo-turquoise-Ino

male had to be at least split cinnamon to get cinnamon hens. so cinnamon would not be visual from the above pairing.
----------------------------------------------
We need to know if it is true and only pallids were bred from this Lemon & its sex gender.
A male would give us totally different options as opposed to a hen.

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben

just found something interesting.
its Aqua Ino
looks a bit like the lemon without the indigo
http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... rameri.htm
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Gratz,

That is an Emerald Ino . Name Aqua was used previously for Emerald.
I want to find out how close Indigo-Ino will come to that pic.
an even layer over the lutino ? however Indigo will in my opinion be yellow/white, whiter than a Creamino
question is, will it have patches as the lemon bird or will it be an even color?
Hope to answer these questions after the breeding season if all goes well

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben

my guess is that the brighter yellow patches will intensify over time,
anyway good luck with your project and hope to see some favourable results in the near future
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Ben
Been looking through some of my old phone pics and look at what I found. This may interest you .
The hen (VERY SIMILAR LOOKING TO YOUR BIRD)
The cock on the wire (blue)
Look at their baby in the bottom
Turquoise violet blue
Last edited by Gratz on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Gratz

Which bird?? you have a few pics there.

Go to the picture you want to show and click on the link see pic below
and paste that between the Img in your post
madas

Post by madas »

Gratz wrote:Image

Hi Ben
Been looking through some of my old phoned pics and look at what I found. This may interest you .
The hen (VERY SIMILAR LOOKING AS YOUR BIRD)
The cock on the wire (blue)
Look at their baby in the bottom
Turquoise violet blue
Cant see the pic. :(

btw: Is it a "saddleback" shown on your Avatar? If so out of which Pairing?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Good find Gratz! does look like her- although it doesn't tell us her exact genotype apart from the obvious- suppose you wouldn't know either?
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Madas

do you really think my avatar is a saddleback ?
I have sent Deon Smith a pic of this bird quiet a while ago and asked him what his thoughts were but he still hasnt gat back to me.
i wont put any pics on here as this is Bens thread but if you think its worth while i might start a thread on it
by the way i finally posted the pics i wanted Ben to see

thanks for your input Madas