Half-Sider

Moderator: Mods

prodigy

Half-Sider

Post by prodigy »

If Half-Sider's are supposed to be completely random, then how come we see common patterns and layout in the same color series, pointing to a common genetic flaw?

Bastiaan's Book page 391

Recio

Re: Half-Sider

Post by Recio »

prodigy wrote:If Half-Sider's are supposed to be completely random, then how come we see common patterns and layout in the same color series, pointing to a common genetic flaw?
Hi Peter,

What are you meaning when writing : "... Half-Sider's are supposed to be completely random"?
Are you refering to the frequency of half-siders, the colours combinations in each side or the distribution of colours in the bird?

Regards

Recio
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi Recio,

The color combinations and the distribution of colors in the bird.

Regards,

Peter
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

prodigy wrote:Hi Recio,

The color combinations and the distribution of colors in the bird.

Regards,

Peter
Peter, I haven't seen many of them, but the colour combinations and the distribution thereof wasn't random in those birds. They actually have a fairly fixed pattern. Why do you consider it random?
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

That's my point Johan, so surly we are missing something here ?
trabots

Post by trabots »

This is my half sider. The variability is always on the penetrance % of the lesser side. I have never seen one which is exactly 50/50. The division is always a line down the middle vertically. It apparently only involves a single locus. In the case of my bird it obviously involves the Blue locus. A theory is that an egg somehow gets fertilised simultaneously by 2 sperm. The theory further stated that DNA analysis would show each side as siblings. I would say the parents were a split Blue cock and a Blue hen or a split Blue hen, with one sperm carrying the Wildtype gene and another carrying a Blue gene fertilising simultaneously the hen's egg carrying a Blue gene. This raises the question, what would the actual Blue locus look like in my bird?

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:It apparently only involves a single locus.
Hi Willy, I wouldn't put money on that. This example makes me doubt that. Wish I had a pic of the mature bird.

trabots

Post by trabots »

I will save my money. That bird is unreal.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi Willy, is yours split for anything ?
trabots

Post by trabots »

I purchased it for its novelty value only so will never know if it is split for anything. I would imagine that it would breed as a Green /Blue.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Mine has Ino and pied in the mix that's why I ask, as it is clearly visible to see how the Ino gene has not completely attached.

Pairing:

1-0 Albino X 0-1 Blue/pied
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:I purchased it for its novelty value only so will never know if it is split for anything. I would imagine that it would breed as a Green /Blue.
Willy, do you have it paired up with something as part of the novelty? Would be interesting to see if/what it produces with a blue hen.
trabots

Post by trabots »

Not planning to
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

WHWT Halfsider chick bred by a breeder in Pretoria a few weeks back, this should be an interesting bird to see when it feathers up.