My Pairings for 2013 Breeding Season

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

My Pairings for 2013 Breeding Season

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, as promised to Deb I would do a brief journal of my breeding for my 2013 season. Its still early but since I'm still busy setting up, I'm going to use as much time as available, where I can to note down what's happens this year.

Before I start, for the newbies here are the links to the breeding journals for my previous breeding season.

2011 Breeding Season (2 years ago)
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=13530

2012 Breeding Season (last year)
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15281

Will do a run down of my pairings with new pics one pair at a time as I get a chance as its still some time till they start to lay

Thanks
Lushen
Last edited by Lushen1600 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Re: My Pairings for 2013 Breeding Season

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, would like to give you all some idea to my pairings for this season, although they could change if I find pairs being incompatible. Will take out photos of each pairing and place them on at a later stage

So here goes, where you see UGH, it would mean that I don't have genetic history of these birds and don't know the parents, so will know with time and test mating

Pair 1
Blue male - (parents Green/blue ino male x Green/blue hen)
x Blue pallid hen - (UGH - parents unknown)
Last season these were paired to each other and produce 4 blue chicks from 1 round of 5 eggs(1 infertile egg). All 4 blue chicks were handreared and sold

Pair 2
Grey(sf)blue/ino male - (parents Grey(df)blue male x blue ino(albino) hen)
X Blue turquoise pallid hen - (parents Blue turquoise pallid male x Blue turquoise pallid hen)
The male was paired to a grey(sf)blue palllid hen last season and they hatched 3 chicks out of 4 eggs(1 egg was laid outside nestbox and cracked), but this hen didn't feed her chicks, in turn all 3 chicks died, so didn't get any genetic info from that pairing
The female was paired to a lutino cock and laid 4 eggs, of which one dissapeared and 3 were infertile, so once again no genetic info.

Pair 3
Dominant edge blue cinnamon/ino male - (UGH - parents unknown)
Cobalt hen - (parents - cobalt x blue haven't seen the parents so not sure whether the father or mother was cobalt, hen was from a fostered egg)
The male was paired to a lutino/blue hen last season and produced 3 chicks out of 4 eggs(1 egg was laid outside nestbox and cracked), 1 chick dissappeared and the remaining 2 parent reared chicks was an albino male and a lutino/blue hen, both chicks were sold.
The female was bought this year so will be her first breeding for me

Pair 4
?Green/turq or DF Turquoise male - (parents DF Turquoise male x Blue turquoise female)
X Grey(sf)blue pallid hen - (was original told by breeder that this hen came from a Blue pallid male x Grey(sf)blue pallid hen, but when I recently spoken to him, he said it could be possible that this hen could have come from his other pairing of Grey(sf)blue pallid male x Grey(sf)blue pallid hen, as he had all the chicks in a flight cage and they don't have leg rings)
The male was bought for this season to test breed, and as both these birds have come from the same breeder and I haven't seen his mother to confirm that she is infact a blue turq but only seen the father, I'm going with green/turq male with this one as that is what the male looks like unless he proves otherwise
The female was paired to the Grey/ino cock from pair 2 and will have to watch her closely this season to make sure she feeds her youngsters otherwise I may have to foster or handrear

Pair 5
Grey(sf)green male - (UGH - parents unknown, handreared male)
X Blue hen - (UGH - parents unknown, handreared hen)
The male was paired to a green hen last season and produced 3 infertile eggs, so giving him another chance this season to see if he fertilizes eggs
The female was paired to a green male last season and hatched 3 green babies from 5 eggs(1 dead in shell and 1 infertile), all 3 green babies were sold. If he doesn't fertilize eggs again this season, I will use the hen as a foster hen, by replacing any infertile eggs with fertile eggs from other pairs

Pair 6
Green male - (UGH - parents unknown - ring number 2010 DDA 10)
X Green hen - (UGH - parents unknown - ring number 2010 DDA 31)
The male was paired to the blue hen in Pair 5
The female was paired to the greygreen male in Pair 5
Both these birds was bought with rings on from a fellow breeder, managed to track down the original breeder of these youngsters, but he doesn't have records from which pairs these birds have come from, but did confirm that they cannot be from his green foster pairs as he throws those eggs away, so I paired these 2 together to see if they are carrying any recessive traits, as I saw that he had recessive pieds and cleartails in his collection, so hoping if they are carrying any recessive splits that they both have the same recessive splits so that they can produce a visual, if all green chicks, then I will keep this pair as a foster pair for future seasons

Pair 7
Darkgreen cock - (UGH - parents unknown, swopped my lutino male from the previous season for this male and and 2 suspended cages)
X Blue turquoise hen - (UGH - parents unknown - ring number 2002 TARZ 23, tried to get info on this bird but no records available as she is now 11 years old)
Both these bird have been bought for this breeding season, so it is going to be my first time breeding them, the male is a young male as he only got his neck ring after the moulting period at the beginning of ths year

Pair 8
Blue male - (UGH - parents unknown)
X Lutino/blue hen - (parents - Green/blue ino male x Green/blue hen)
The male was bought this year so will be my first time breeding him
The female was paired to the Dominant edge blue cinnamon male from pair 3

Pair 9
Grey(sf)green male - (UGH - parents unknown)
Grey(sf)blue/?pied hen - (UGH - parents unknown)
The male was bought this year so will be the first time breeding him
The female was also bought this year so will be the first time breeding her, she is said to be split pied, but will only call her that when I get to pair her to a pied or split pied male and she produces visual pied young, I had her paired to a grey(sf)green/?pied male but she was attacking him as she bonded with the current male when she was in a colony flight cage, so I let her have her way and gave her this male that she wanted and sold the other male

I do have other pairs I'm breeding which don't belong to me but I'm not going to put those pairings on this forum, as those birds were lent to me for this season and don't belong to me, so for now its 9 of my pairs that I can keep you guys informed on.

I have only kept 1 youngster from 2012 which is the Pallidino male that I got from Carmen, will try and look for a mate for him for next season.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Lushen, would lok to keep in touch as the season goes, and maybe see what colour chicks you get from Pair 3, and possibly get one from you. I lost my dom egde female earlier this year, but have kept one of her sons which is dom edge, so would love to get a female that's dom egde as well for him...
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Sorry I should have said my young male is a green dom edge / cinnamon, so was looking for a bird with cinnamon as well to pair with him
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi SCB, unfortunately I won't be selling any babies from Pair 3, but will try and see if I can get you a dominant edge cinnamon hen from another breeder, depending what he breeds this season

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all just a quick update, when I got home yesterday after work and was feeding, I found that my handreared greygreen cock from pair 5 had been bitten on his head by the hen, I immediately remove her, but fortunately his injuries are not bad, I'm sure he will be ok.

It upsets my pairings for this season, but will get another hen for him by the weekend

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Lushen1600 wrote: Pair 3
Dominant edge blue cinnamon/ino male - (UGH - parents unknown)
Cobalt hen - (parents - cobalt x blue haven't seen the parents so not sure whether the father or mother was cobalt, hen was from a fostered egg)
The male was paired to a lutino/blue hen last season and produced 3 chicks out of 4 eggs(1 egg was laid outside nestbox and cracked), 1 chick dissappeared and the remaining 2 parent reared chicks was an albino male and a lutino/blue hen, both chicks were sold.
The female was bought this year so will be her first breeding for me
I know you said that you sold both chicks, but would it be possible to get a picture/s of the Lutino hen???
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

SCB 22 wrote:Sorry I should have said my young male is a green dom edge / cinnamon, so was looking for a bird with cinnamon as well to pair with him
Could you post pics of him please?
(post them in this thread: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=17319)
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Shey,

He really looks like a normal green bird, just lighter. You cannot see the colouring in his flights as they are clipped.
My indigo blue cinnamon male from Carmen decided it was fun to pull all his tail feathers out, so I have had to seperate them, once his tail grows back in i will try get some pics of him.

Thanks (also I would have to ask Carmen to post pics coz ive never taken the time to figure out how to post pics on here)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

No worries- do you know what colour his claws and lower mandible (beak) are?

To upload pics in future, create a photobucket acc, and copy and paste the IMG link from the pic/s you wish to post :)

Sorry Lushen, back to you- love your detailed diaries (of which I have been following since last year) :)
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

His beak is still changing colour, he is under a year old. Feet are the imbetween colour, not the dark of the normal green bird, and not the light of a cinnamon. His flights were beautiful before clipped though. Have a pic of his flights comparison to his sisters when he was very young, if you inbox me a email i will send to you - i have done the photobucket account thing before, and just dont wish to have to create accounts and link them. I did have a link to my facebook album of all the babies, and mother and father if you would like to go look, but there is only pics of before they all went to their homes :-) when it comes to putting pics on here i prefer to just ask Carmen :-)

Thanks!
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Sheyd, pics sent, let me know if they received, for some reason when i try send a message it just sits in my outbox, and does not move to sent items so i have no way of telling if it has gone through
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Sheyd unfortunately I won't be able to get pics of the lutino hen as I never take contact details for the buyer and he is from out of town, will check if I still have pics of her after she was weaned and if I find 1 I will post it here

I decided to give the greygreen male from pair 5 a rest for this season and have now paired the blue hen to a blue male, hopefully they are compatible, will keep you updated, have most of my hens digging in their nestboxes, so let's see which one is the first to settledown and lay her first egg for this season

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Lushen1600 wrote:Hi Sheyd unfortunately I won't be able to get pics of the lutino hen as I never take contact details for the buyer and he is from out of town, will check if I still have pics of her after she was weaned and if I find 1 I will post it here
Lushen
That would be great if you could Lushen-have wondered what an SL Edged Lutino would look like :)

cheers.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Sheyd, I don't think one can visually see the difference between a SL Edge Ino and a plain Ino as I think Ino would mask the Edge mutation, and the young ino birds would have to be test mated to find out if they are carrying the Edge mutation, but I could be wrong

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

she surely does (from what I have learnt on this site :mrgreen: ) IF indeed the parent cock was a SL Dom Edge. The question still remains of what she might look like- (have a feeling it may be completely or all but masked..?) but am hopeful as it (Edged) displays better in hens than it does in sf SL Dom Edged cocks (of which from that mating you would have received none).
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Sheyd, that's something that I need clarity on, as I thought that pairing a SL edge male to a normal female will give 50% male babies with edge mutation and 50% female babies with edge mutation with the other 50% of each gender not carrying the edge mutation

And when pairing a normal cock to an sl edge hen then you would get 50% males babies with edge mutation and 50% normal male babies and all normal hens, so no hens with edge mutation.

Can someone give clarity on this

Thanks
Lushen,
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

pairing a SL edge male to a normal female will give 50% male babies with edge mutation and 50% female babies with edge mutation with the other 50% of each gender not carrying the edge mutation
Yes correct.
And when pairing a normal cock to an sl edge hen then you would get 50% males babies with edge mutation and 50% normal male babies and all normal hens, so no hens with edge mutation

You will get 100% of boys sl edged. no edged hens correct.

SL Edged Lutino would look like

I saw some pics of sl edged and a lutino amongst them that i thought was sl edged ino.
flights were white and central feathers white the rest of tail was yellow and it was a rather sharp yellow/ lemonish not as deep color lutino.
I think if you know the parents carry edged gene, you'd be able to identify a lutino to a lutino edged, an albino i guess it'd be pure white!?

Lol I always have more to say after i post my posts :lol:

PSSSSS :The Gen calc outcome is not accurate to dom edged mutation. to get the assumed correct calc. use Madas's gen. calc.
Last edited by Ring0Neck on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Ben, thanks for the clarification

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ah, thanks for clarifying Ben- I had wrongly thought that since Edged hens produce 100% Edged cocks that the opposite would also be true for sf Edged cocks- it is even better that they can produce both sexes in Edged- Good stuff :)

Would still love to see a pic anyway if you could find one Lushen :)
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi sheyd will definitely look to see if I have any pics on my day off this friday and place them here

As promised here are pics of my breeding pairs

Pair 1 - Blue cock x Blue Pallid hen

Pair 2 - Grey/ino cock x Blue turquoise pallid hen

Pair 3 - Dominant Edge Blue Cinnamon/ino cock x DarkBlue(Cobalt) hen

Pair 4 - Green/Turq or ?DF Turquoise cock x Grey Pallid hen
As you can see from the pic that the male looks like a normal wildtype green male, so I have my suspicions that something doesn't add up, but I will know his genetic makeup if he breeds for me this season

Pair 5 - Blue cock x Blue hen

Pair 6 - Green cock x Green hen

Pair 7 - Darkgreen cock x Blue turquoise hen

Pair 8 - Blue cock x Lutino/blue hen

Pair 9 - Greygreen cock x Grey/?pied hen

All hens are busy digging nestboxes, but no eggs yet, will update as soon as I have my first egg for this season

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi, picked up my copy of Bastiaans Second Book, "Asiatic Parrots and their mutations" today. It was a gift from my wife for me qualifying as a professional nurse. Thanks to my wife for the best gift, love you lots, mwah and thanks to Leoni De La Port, who posted the book on friday and I picked up today, which was quick, only 3 working days. Got a lot of reading to keep me busy for a while until I can get Dion Smiths new book and well as Terry Martins new book.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Hi can anyone pls tell me highlights of Terry's New book and whr it can b ordered ? Thanks
trabots

Post by trabots »

madas

Post by madas »

Can't see a new book of Terry. Or is it published under the same name???

madas
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Madas, here is the link to Terry Martins Book for the website given by Trabots

http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/bird-books ... hard-cover

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
madas

Post by madas »

Lushen1600 wrote:Hi Madas, here is the link to Terry Martins Book for the website given by Trabots

http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/bird-books ... hard-cover

Thanks
Lushen
Thx. But i already own this book. So is there a newer one or why did you talk about "Terrys new book"?

madas
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Madas, my error, should have read Terry Martins book, and not Terry Martins new book.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all just a quick update on my birds

Firstly I have purchased a 2011 green hen for my handreared greygreen male to make up my 10th pair for this season

Also purchased a 2012 lutino/blue female for the 2012 pallidino male that I got from carmen to make my 11th pair

And for some good news, Pair 9 has started laying, on checking nestboxes today I found 2 eggs in their nestbox
So will have to wait to see how many she lays and hope that her eggs are fertile, will do a check again next week and update you guys again

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Azballa7

Post by Azballa7 »

Awesome!!! Please do keep us updated!! Wish you lived out here in NY LOL
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, as promised here is my update for this week

First of some sad news, on friday, I was feeding and found that my mature lutino/ blue hen from pair 8 wasn't coming out of her nestbox, so I decided to inspect and found her lying dead with 1 egg beside her, on inspection of her I noticed her vent was stained with a reddish brown colour, and palpated her pelvic area to find an egg stuck in her, she was obviously eggbound and died thereof. I had a similar problem with her last year whereby it took her 5 days from laying her 3rd egg to pass out her 4th egg which was much bigger than her other eggs and whilst carrying the 4th egg she was looking ill. I'm still sad with the loss of a good hen but have to learn from this and increase the calcuim in my birds diet closer to breeding season. I have fostered the 1 egg from the lutino hen under another pair

I was looking for a hen to replace her and on saturday Carmen offered to sell me her albino hen Snowy and have now paired my blue male from pair 8 to Carmens albino hen, I hope she settles down and takes a liking to him
Here is a pic of them

On to some good news my blue turquoise pallid hen from Pair 2 has started laying and is now on 2 eggs

Also my blue hen from Pair 5 is down on eggs, she has 3 of her own eggs and is fostering 1 egg from the lutino hen that died

And my grey hen from Pair 9 that was the first to lay is still on 2 eggs, so I guess that's all she is laying

That's all for now, next update will be next week when I check nestboxes again

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Molossus, thanks for informing me, reminds me to have them candled, I haven't been counting the days since they were first laid, will candle them next time I check and let you know if they are fertile

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Lushen

Firstly sorry to hear about your loss, I also had a hen that had trouble every breeding season when it was time to lay eggs, I increased the amount of calcium and even introduced pellets into the diet but on her 4th breeding season she died , then I started thinking , why was it that she was the only hen out of 6 pairs that had the problem when all the birds were being fed exactly the same food. ?
The second thing I want to point out is the last pic you posted of the pair of birds , if that is your new bird ( snowy ) she seems to be a blue pallid not an albino
One other thing, Don't discard the eggs as not being fertile , I believe you should wait at least 10 days Into incubation before you candle them to check if they are fertile

Regards Gratz
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Sorry to hear of your loss Lushen :( I agree with Gratz though- through everything I've read, some hens don't make good breeders.

Hoping your season goes well from here on in.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

So sorry for your loss Lushen. But your other hens seem to be doing great!! I also agree that snowy seems to be a pallid unless its the lighting somehow. Can't wait to hear of your candling results. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

madas

Post by madas »

Lushen1600 wrote:Hi all, as promised here is my update for this week

First of some sad news, on friday, I was feeding and found that my mature lutino/ blue hen from pair 8 wasn't coming out of her nestbox, so I decided to inspect and found her lying dead with 1 egg beside her, on inspection of her I noticed her vent was stained with a reddish brown colour, and palpated her pelvic area to find an egg stuck in her, she was obviously eggbound and died thereof. I had a similar problem with her last year whereby it took her 5 days from laying her 3rd egg to pass out her 4th egg which was much bigger than her other eggs and whilst carrying the 4th egg she was looking ill. I'm still sad with the loss of a good hen but have to learn from this and increase the calcuim in my birds diet closer to breeding season. I have fostered the 1 egg from the lutino hen under another pair

I was looking for a hen to replace her and on saturday Carmen offered to sell me her albino hen Snowy and have now paired my blue male from pair 8 to Carmens albino hen, I hope she settles down and takes a liking to him
Here is a pic of them

On to some good news my blue turquoise pallid hen from Pair 2 has started laying and is now on 2 eggs

Also my blue hen from Pair 5 is down on eggs, she has 3 of her own eggs and is fostering 1 egg from the lutino hen that died

And my grey hen from Pair 9 that was the first to lay is still on 2 eggs, so I guess that's all she is laying

That's all for now, next update will be next week when I check nestboxes again

Thanks
Lushen
Sad News but are you sure it is an Albino? On this pic she looks like a very light pallid. But could be the pic.

madas
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi all

Just a note, I have even noticed the pallidino cock bird he got from me almost looks like a turq pallid in the image he posted. I have a feeling it has to do with lighting.

Here are a few pics of the albino hen from when I first got her up until now.

In 2009

With her df grey cock bird. With the lighting here it looks like there was separation in body colour but i assure you there was none

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope that clears the confusion.

Take Care

Carmen
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, thank you for the replies, but I must point out that the camera on my mobile phone is only 5mp and doesn't take out good pics

As Carmen has shared her photos of the albino hen, you can see how much difference there is in quality of pics, will take out better pics of the hen with my digital camera on thursday as I'm day off and will post them here

Hi Gratz, I will let you know as soon as I candle if the eggs are fertile, but even if there are any that are not fertile, I leave them and don't remove them unless tha entire clutch is infertile, then I let the hen sit the incubation period and once she stops incubating on her own, I remove the eggs.

Hi Sheyd, sorry I never replly sooner, but was unable to find any pics of the lutino chick I bred last season

Will only check my nestboxes next week and do an update.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hi Lushen
Good work, just to share something with you , I made a big mistake one year , I had a 1yo hen lay 5 eggs , 1 chick died in the shell 1 hatched and the rest were infertile,when I put the ring on the chick I removed the other 4 eggs as suggested by a fellow breeder, to my disbelief the parents abandoned their baby . So that was a big lesson for me , now I leave all the eggs in the nest box until the babies have left the nest.
Hope sharing this stops someone making the mistake I made

Regards Gratz
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Lushen1600 wrote: Hi Sheyd, sorry I never replly sooner, but was unable to find any pics of the lutino chick I bred last season
That's okay- thanks for looking back through anyway :)
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,

Firstly - thanks so much for giving us another year's insight into your breeding pairs this year - looking forward to following this thread. And apologies for only discovering it just now - I have started full time work, and have had little time to get involved with the forum, as what time I have left after the working day, I devote to my 2 beautiful FIDs - oh, and of course my husband :lol: :lol: :lol:

Devastating news regarding your hen - how awful for you. Hopefully, the rest of your season goes smoothly. One of my biggest fears with my pair is having my sf violetblue hen become egg-bound. My two get a good balance of fresh veg & fruit, and pellets (currently breeding pellets) every day, occasionally supplemented with a seed mix or millet spray for a treat. But I wonder if maybe I should try adding some more calcium to their diet. I do also mix in shell grit with their pellets, which I think she nibbles at from time to time.

They have been courting like mad for the last 2 months or so, our cock has been regurgitating for her, she has been assuming the position, they've both been making all the right moves - except our boy just doesn't seem to know how to seal the deal :!: :?: :!: Our poor hen, Pepper, gets so frustrated with him, tries to nip his feet to encourage him to get up, but he just seems to want to nuzzle her neck, and snuggle up beside her. I'm staring to wonder if
a) He's too old (we have no knowledge of his age, history, parentage etc), or
b) he's been a domestic pet for so long he's lost the 'instinct', or perhaps even
c) he's aware that Pepper is only young and perhaps not ready yet??

There is of course the fact that they ARE living inside with us, and not in an aviary, so perhaps that has much to do with the lack of natural instinct. We have also been unable to get them to share a cage at night together. They are a weird pair - during the day and early evening they show all the signs of being a 'bonded pair', yet all attempts to get them to share a cage have so far failed. She will hound and harass him mercilessly if he dares to go in her cage, and he seems quite terrified if he's in his cage and she tries to come in - but on the other hand, if he puts himself to bed in his cage, she will cling to the OUTSIDE of his cage right next to where he is perched up, and they both seem quite happy with that arrangement! Strange little buggers :D

Anyway, enough of hijacking your thread, and my apologies! :oops:

Thanks for posting pics of your pairs also. It's great to have a visual of them, and I hope they all do well for you this season. Good luck, and looking forward to your next update :)
Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is my update for this week, unfortunately was not able to candle any eggs, as I took out my penlight torch from the box and found that the batteries were dead, so will buy some batteries during this week and candle on my next check

Pair 2 - Blue Turquiose Pallid hen is now sitting on 4 eggs

Pair 4 - Grey Pallid hen has started laying and is on 1 egg

Pair 5 - Blue hen is still incubating 4 eggs, 3 of her own eggs and 1 fostered egg

Pair 6 - Green hen has started to lay and is on 1 egg

Pair 7 - Blue Turquoise hen has started to lay and is on 1 egg

Pair 9 - Grey hen is still incubating her 2 eggs

That's all for this week, will check again next week and do another update

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Molossus, I also noticed that the egg on the extreme right looks empty, and the other 3 looks good, will confirm once I get batteries for my torch, what do you think about the 4 eggs for Pair 2

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Thanks Molossus, can't wait to get my first chicks

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, I managed to get batteries for my torch yesterday and candled eggs for the following pairs

Pair 2 with 4 eggs, all 4 eggs look to be fertile, will confirm again next week, as in some eggs veins seem very faint

Pair 5 with 4 eggs, 3 are fertile and 1 is infertile, so not sure if the infertile egg is the fostered egg or her own egg, will have to wait and see

Pair 9 with 2 eggs, as Molossus said both eggs are fertile and due to hatch sometime next week, so I'm waiting to hear the noise of babies soon

I havent candled any of the other pairs eggs as yet, as its still too early to tell, will inform you guys once they are old enough to candle

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
madas

Post by madas »

Lushen1600 wrote: I managed to get batteries for my torch
Didn't know that batteries are such a shortage in S.A. :D

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:
Lushen1600 wrote: I managed to get batteries for my torch
Didn't know that batteries are such a shortage in S.A. :D

madas
Joker! :lol:
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Lol
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for the week

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen has started laying and is on 3 eggs, candled them and all 3 are showing clear at the moment, will check them again next week

Pair 2 - Blue Turquoise Pallid hen is still incubating her 4 eggs and after candling them a second time today, I can confirm that all 4 eggs are fertile

Pair 4 - Grey Pallid hen is now sitting on 4 eggs, candled them and 2 is showing fertile and the other 2 are showing clear, will check them again in a week

Pair 5 - Blue hen is still incubating 4 eggs, 3 fertile and 1 clear, I suspect that the fostered egg is the infertile one, but will wait and see when the babies hatch and colour up

Pair 6 - Green hen is now sitting on 3 eggs and to my surprise after candling them all 3 are fertile, that surprising considering that she laid her first egg 7 days ago

Pair 7 - Blue turquoise hen is now sitting on 3 eggs and after candling, all 3 are showing clear, will check them again in a week

Pair 9 - This is the most exciting news as both eggs have hatched and hen is feeding both chicks, can't wait to see the colours, I first found this hen on 2 eggs on the 5th of August, and now 21 days later they both have hatched, not exactly sure when they were laid and when they hatched as I'm only doing weekly checks

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
thirdy

Post by thirdy »

Hi there. . .
You should be careful two years ago my chicks also just disappeared and I didn't knew why. I was very angry because I waited a whole year for my birds to breed and know the chicks are just gone. So I decided to hand raise the chicks because they are just disappearing. And about 4 week since I removed the chicks from the nest box I saw that it was a snake that eaten all my chicks. So I just want you to know that. Please be careful.
Sorry for the long story.
Thanks. . .