My Pairings for 2013 Breeding Season

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

Re: My Pairings for 2013 Breeding Season

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Thirdy, I haven't lost any chicks from snakes eating them, but thanks for the info

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
thirdy

Post by thirdy »

Okay thanks then...
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

congrats on the chicks Lushen :D
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Thanks Sheyd, can't wait for more to hatch

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all the update for this week was supposed to be done on Monday, took out the pics on monday but didn't have a chance to upload them to post them here due to work. Sorry for the late update but her goes

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen is now on 4 eggs, 2 fertile and 2 clear, notice that one of the clear eggs looks rough and pitted compared to the other eggs which look smooth, is this a sign of low calcium in their diet

Pair 2 - Blue Turquoise Paliid hen is still incubating 4 fertile eggs, can't wait for them to hatch

Pair 4 - Grey pallid hen is now on 5 eggs, 3 fertile and 2 clear. I want to remove the 2 clear eggs from Pair 1 and Pair 4 and place the 3 fertile eggs from Pair 4 under the blue pallid hen in Pair 1 so that she will be incubating 5 fertile eggs and it will allow the hen from Pair 4 to lay a second clutch, what do you guys think, would this be a good idea

Pair 5 - Blue hen is now sitting with 2 chicks, 1 fertile egg and 1 clear egg, waiting for the chick from the last fertile egg to hatch

Pair 6 - Green hen is still incubating 3 fertile eggs, can't wait for them to hatch

Pair 7 - Blue Turquoise hen is sitting on 3 eggs, all 3 showing clear, once again 1 egg is rough and pitted and the other 2 have hairline cracks on the pointed end of the eggs, is this a sign of low calcium in their diet, will be removing these 3 eggs so that this hen will have a chance to hopefully lay a second clutch, or should I place 3 fertile eggs under her to hatch, not sure what to do, any advice?

Pair 9 - Grey hen is feeding her 2 chicks well, surprised at how quickly they are growing, was thinking of putting these 2 chicks under the blue hen in Pair 5 to raise with her chicks, so that this grey hen will lay a second clutch, but they are almost double the size of th blue hens chicks, so I decided to rather keep them as is and pull the 2 chicks for handrearing, and hope that the grey hen lays a second clutch

Still waiting for my other 4 pairs to go down

Pair 3 - lots of mating, courting and feeding happening, hen is still digging nestbox, so waiting eagerly for this pair to lay, it would make my season to get just 1 clutch of chicks from this pair

Pair 8 - Blue cock is not showing any interest in the albino hen but is rather having a competition with the Green Cock from Pair 4 next to him, probably to see who can do a better courtship dance, albino hen also hasn't showed any interest in the nestbox

Pair 10 - Greygreen cock and Green hen also haven't showed any interest in each other or their nestbox

Pair 11 - Pallidino cock has taken to the lutino/blue hen and is now feeding her and doing the courtship dance for her, haven't witness any mating, but have noticed that the shaving in their nestbox have been disturbed.

Will being doing the next update on Sunday for next week as I'm working Monday and won't have a chance to take out pics, until next time

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, sorry once again for another late update, that was due for Monday 9 September 2013. Will try to be punctual on future updates. Pics were taken on Tuesday 10 September 2013 but didn't have time to upload them but here goes the update for this week

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen is now sitting on 5 fertile eggs, 2 of her own and 3 from Grey Pallid hen in Pair 4, found that she has accepted the 3 foster eggs and is incubating well but she seems to have what I would call a stroke, as she cannot fly and if she tries to fly its in circles on the floor, and her head twitches, so I'm hoping she feeds the chicks once they hatch

Pair 2 - Blue Turquoise Pallid hen now has 4 chicks, very happy as all 4 have hatched and she is feeding well for a 2 year old hen, also there is 1 red eyed baby in the lot, so waiting to see how they turn out

Pair 4 - Blue hen now has 3 chicks and is feeding well, she becomes very aggressive and threatens to peck when I do nest inspections. I have left the infertile egg as a size reference for this lot of chicks to compare there growth with

Pair 5 - Green hen is still incubating her 3 eggs, waiting for them to hatch

Pair 9 - Grey hen is feeding her chicks well, but 1 chick seems to be growing much faster than the other, but both always have food in their crop whenever I inspect the nestbox, I placed a closed band ring on the bigger chick yesterday will have to wait a while for the smaller one to grow a bit before I can place a ring on its leg

Other updates
Pair 4 - still noticing mating, courting and feeding several times a day, but no eggs yet

Pair 8 - Blue cock is trying to make advances to the albino hen, but she doesn't seem interested, then he gets aggressive towards her rejection and chases her wanting to peck her, after a while of chasing he stops and tries again, so don't know if they will get along, only time will tell

Pair 10 - no action with this pair as yet

Pair 11 - only notice male feeding and courting, but no mating noticed

That's all for this week, my next update will be Monday 16 September 2013 in the evening and it will be punctual as I go on leave from tomorrow, unless something comes up then I will update during the week

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for this week.

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen now has 4 chicks and 1 more fertile egg left to hatch, and to my surprise although she has a stroke, she is feeding them well

Pair 2 - Blue Turquoise Pallid hen is feeding her 4 chicks well and they are growing nicely

Pair 5 - Blue hen is feeding her chicks well and they are growing quickly

Pair 6 - Green hen now has 3 chicks, as all 3 eggs have hatched, and she is feeding well

Pair 9 - The 2 babies from this pair have been taken out for handrearing, will have to wait and see if the pair goes down again

Other Updates

Pair 4 - still no eggs but frequent mating noticed

Pair 8 - Albino hen has finally give up and is now accepting food from the blue male, also noticed her assume the position for him and enter the nestbox once, so I'm hopeful

Pair 10 - Still no action with this pair

Pair 11 - Same as last update, only feeding and courting noticed, no mating noticed

That's all for this week.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Lushen, do you ring the offspring from your birds? There are a couple of those chicks ready to get their 'number plates'. :)
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Johan, yes I do ring all my chicks, but they are currently to small to have leg rings put on according to their size, if I do put them on now, they will just fall off, so I'm waiting a while for them to grow a little more, the 2 that I have taken off for handrearing, I have already rung the bigger chick, waiting for the smaller one to grow a little more before trying on a ring.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Why do you put rings on the babies?
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Tabaneske wrote:Why do you put rings on the babies?
Hi Tabaneske

I ring babies for identification purposes

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Ah okay, how old do you think they would be big enough to ring them?
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Tabaneske wrote:Ah okay, how old do you think they would be big enough to ring them?
From my experience, any where between 10 and 14 days old, if its your first time I would suggest to start ringing at 10 daysand check daily, and if the ring falls off, which most times it does then put it back on. I personally prefer to ring later as the ring then tends to stay on. I use petroleum jelly as a lubricant

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hello all, sorry for the late update for this week, been busy. Pics were taken today

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen now has a total of 5 chicks, 2 of her own and 3 that she is fostering for Pair 5, feeding well.Image

Pair 2 - Some sad news, when I inspected the nestbox on sunday I found 1 blackeyed chick dead with food in its crop, I decided to leave the 3 remainding chicks with the mum and found another blackeyed chick dead on tuesday also with food in its crop, so I decided to remove the last blackeyed chick and the red eyed chick for handrearing as I feared they may die also, when I brought them inside on tuesday I found that they were weak and couldn't stand on their 2 feet and dropped to one side, and I couldn't understand why cos both chick had food in their crop, I gave them some handrearing food, and they have improved drastically, and are now active, but not as active as my other babies that are indoors, still can't understand what happened, here is a pic of the 2 remainding chicks, the red eyed baby is actually a plum eyed baby as the eyes are darker red than that of the lutino chicks that I bought for handrearing to resale

Pair 5 - the 3 chicks are now indoors being handreared, waiting to see what colour they are once the pins break open, but I'm expecting all 3 to be blue babies

Pair 6 - Green hen is feeding her 3 chicks well, waiting to see what colours they will be, although I expect all 3 to be green, I haven't decided if I'm going to handrear these babies or let the parents rear them

Pair 9 - The 2 chicks are indoors for handrearing. I can confirm that the bigger chick is definitely a greygreen baby, but can only say that the smaller is a green series baby as I'm waiting for more pins to break open

Still waiting for Pair 3, Pair 8, Pair 10 and Pair 11 to lay their first round of eggs

Hoping that Pair 2, Pair 4, Pair 5, Pair 7 and Pair 9 lay a second clutch, but time will tell

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lushen, I am very sorry for the loss of your little ones. I hope the others make it through. Is there possibly something in the box or flight that the parents may have gotten in to and were inadvertently passing along to the babies? A bug or food that may have dropped into their area?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hello Skye, that could be a possiblity, but on that note, all my pairs get the same type of food on a daily basis, and this is the only pair that has been affected, so not sure what it could be, the parents of the babies in pair 2 are fine, and found them mating several times after taking out the babies, and the 2 babies that I pulled out are now doing fine, so not really sure what the problem was as I haven't given any medication to the babies or parents after the death of the first 2 chicks and the problem seems to be resolved

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Curious situation. Maybe the hen just liked to sit a little too tight. At least it is resolved :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,

Sorry to hear of the loss of 2 of your chicks - but nice to see the others all doing well. Here's hoping your remaining pairs get busy and lay eggs soon :) I do hope your hen in Pair 1 is ok - it's good that she is still able to feed her chicks and foster-chicks - I wonder what has happened to her?

Thanks for your weekly updates - it's been good to see how your season is faring :)
Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for this week

Pair 1 - Blue Pallid hen still feeding all 5 chicks well, put closed band rings on the 3 bigger chicks, will have to wait for the 2 smaller ones to grow before I can put rings on them

Pair 2 - The 2 babies that I brought inside are doing well, put closed band rings on both chicks, I can confirm for now that the blackeyed baby is a blue chick as the pin feathers are just starting to open, still have to wait for the red eye baby to get pin feathers

Pair 4 - Grey Pallid hen has started what looks like her second clutch of eggs and now has 1 egg, will have to wait and see if she lays any more eggs

Pair 5 - The 3 babies that I brought indoors for handrearing are all doing well, and I can confirm that all 3 babies are blue babies as expected, all 3 babies had closed band rings put on a while back

Pair 6 - Green hen is feeding all 3 babies well, infact so well that I couldn't put a closed band ring on the biggest chick as it grew so quick, but was able to put a ring on the second chick, the smallest chick is too small to put a ring on so will have to wait a while. The biggest chick that I wasn't able to get a leg ring on has got a few pin feathers that have opened but am waiting for more feathers to open before I can confirm colour

Pair 8 - Albino hen has finally started laying and has 2 eggs in her nestbox, waiting to see how many she lays

Pair 9 - The chicks that I brought inside are doing well, both chicks turned out to be greygreen in colour, the bigger chick got sold last night so there won't be any future pics of it

Other updates
Pair 4 - still hasn't laid any eggs as yet so I'm dissappointed with that

Pair 7 - Blue Turquoise hen laid 2 eggs,but both looked deformed in shape and has a rough pitted outer shell with crack at the pointed end of the eggs, so I think this hen has a calcium problem, going to have to supplement her with additional calcium and see if it makes a difference

Pair 10 - no action

Pair 11 - no action

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Lushen

Snowy will most likely lay no less than 4 eggs per clutch. For the 4 years she bred with me she would normally have 4-6 eggs, hardly ever an infertile egg at that too so best of luck with her :) I am thrilled she has gone down for you :) I see she is up to her old tricks of demolishing her nest box though! :lol:

Babies are looking good :)

Take Care
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,

Have been pretty flat out with work these past 7 months, and sorry, have only just caught up with your last post on this thread. How did the rest of your chicks turn out? and did your other pairs end up going down at all? Interested to hear the final results on Pair 1 and Pair 2 - and how did the Albino hen get on when she started laying?
Regards Deb