Is this dominant or recessive Pied?

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

Is this dominant or recessive Pied?

Post by angeldc77 »

I have been inquiring on this forum about how to pair my new pied ringneck. I was told that it was a dominant pied, but now am begining to question this. This bird does have an overall lighter color which is associated with the dominant pied, but it also has a white spot on the back of its head. Does this mean that this is in fact a recessive pied, since the dominant pied mutation should not affect the head??? Could it be a cinnamon recessive pied? This picture does not do a good job of showing the almost marbling like effect on its wings and white barring on its tail feathers (I dont believe these are stress bars as this bird was kept in a sunroom with good diet and attention), but it does show the white spot in question and overall light blue color. The person that I got the bird from is trying to locate the breeders info. What do you guys think?

angeldc77

Re: Is this dominant or recessive Pied?

Post by angeldc77 »

The color you see on the rump is the more accurate color of the overall body.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Looks a lot like a dilute pied however the tail feathers carry a distinctive edge marking it could also be a dilute dominant edge that’s what would give it its cin look
Tks
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Wow, thanks for your help! I don't think I have ever heard of anyone breeding dominant edge in this area, so I think the odds are greater for it being a cinnamon pied. Can anyone explain the difference between hillerman, AMD , and harlequin?