How to Idnetify your Ringneck - Color - Mutation - Genetical

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

How to Idnetify your Ringneck - Color - Mutation - Genetical

Post by Ring0Neck »

How to Identify your Ringneck - Color - Mutation - Genetical makeup.

If you need help with identification you can visit this site
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutations/P-krameri.htm

If you need further help, forum users can help out, be sure you have the info below:

1st thing you need to find out the parentage of the bird in question.
* many ringnecks look alike, phenotypically very similar, however their genetical makeup can be totally different. If you know the parent's genetical makeup it eliminates the guesswork in identifying your bird.
Secondly, you can upload a picture (or ask someone from this forum to upload it for you if you're new here) so others can help with mutation identification of your bird.
Thirdly, describe your bird's color as best as you can, esp. info that can not be seen in the picture.
using the gen. calculator many times one can figure out it's genetical makeup even without the aid of a pic.

** If you need someone to upload your photo: leave your email address in your post. Be sure that you leave a space when typing your email this way spammers do not pick it up and flood you with garbage. Example: ben (space)@hotmail.com -- once pics have been uploaded you can "Edit" your original post and remove your email from the post.
You might not know that spammers use robots to search the web to pickup info such as email addresses.

83IV
rangotheringneck

Re: How to Idnetify your Ringneck - Color - Mutation - Genet

Post by rangotheringneck »

My breeder told me that my bird (Rango) was a Grey pastel lacewing (Father Pastel Blue/Mother Grey Lacewing), would a light blue molt ever come in? or is the grey the dominate colour? Right now his head is white and slowly fades into a light grey, with darker grey under the wings
rangotheringneck

Post by rangotheringneck »

rangotheringneck wrote:My breeder told me that my bird (Rango) was a Grey pastel lacewing (Father Pastel Blue/Mother Grey Lacewing), would a light blue molt ever come in? or is the grey the dominate colour? Right now his head is white and slowly fades into a light grey, with darker grey/cinnamon under the wings

Also Rango has Eyes with Black and blue iris

i am guessing a Pallid mutation?
madas

Post by madas »

rangotheringneck wrote: blue iris
There is no ringneck with a blue Iris. The iris is always white or translucent which then looks like a "bluish" iris because of the dark eye behind the iris.

madas
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

rangotheringneck wrote:
rangotheringneck wrote:My breeder told me that my bird (Rango) was a Grey pastel lacewing (Father Pastel Blue/Mother Grey Lacewing), would a light blue molt ever come in? or is the grey the dominate colour? Right now his head is white and slowly fades into a light grey, with darker grey/cinnamon under the wings

Also Rango has Eyes with Black and blue iris

i am guessing a Pallid mutation?
Your bird (unless it has been DNA'd) could be male or female as a Pallid (aka "lacewing") female will not produce visual Pallids- unless paired with another Pallid or one that is split to.
Does your bird have any sort of yellowish-kharki colouring on it- as one would expect for a Turquoise
Grey (aka "pastel Grey") Pallid? If not, then it may just be a Grey Pallid.

I agree with you that the eyes (more specifically the irides) look blue on a Pallid older than a few months- except for when a picture is taken with a flash- then they (the pupils) should show up red*

*not all cameras will cause this effect