Pretty Feathers!

Moderator: Mods

nalukaikamahine

Pretty Feathers!

Post by nalukaikamahine »

Apollo's feathers are coming in nicely, but each feather on his wings and tail has a faint green stripe across it.

I've seen some pictures of greygreen and some pictures of turquoisegrey, and I'm sorry to be a pain in the, you know....but I haven't seen any pictures of either of these colors as babies.

He doesn't have these stripes anywhere else....just wing and tail feathers.

Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

SCB 22

Re: Pretty Feathers!

Post by SCB 22 »

id say turq grey :-)
nalukaikamahine

I agree. I just wish there were more baby pictures of these colors available ;)

Plus, I thought his little stripes were cute.

mikeb

Post by mikeb »

i don't think you can go by baby colors i had two babies that i thought were grey babies but after their first molt started showing some green feathers and turned out to be beautiful turquoise grey birds
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

mikeb
In your case it is true, a turquoise might show the green patches at diff. stages. You can see a turq. at feathering while others only going through first moult will show or a few months down the track.
In this case however, turquoise is there and it can not become not turq. later, it can only increase from here.
83IV
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

I have an adult female grey turq... She is still moulting, and looks terrible, otherwise i would have put up some pics of her!
nalukaikamahine

So does the amount of Turq. vary from bird to bird, or is there a set place that the color will show up with this variation?

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

nalukaikamahine wrote:So does the amount of Turq. vary from bird to bird, or is there a set place that the color will show up with this variation?
the amount will vary from bird to bird and depending on whether they're homozygous or not- but generally the 'turquoise wash' will be most apparent on their upper body body (wings, breast, neck and head) The gene that causes the Turquoise patterning happens over time, so you won't know until they're fully mature exactly how much they'll eventually end up with.
nalukaikamahine

Chocobo wrote:
nalukaikamahine wrote:So does the amount of Turq. vary from bird to bird, or is there a set place that the color will show up with this variation?
the amount will vary from bird to bird and depending on whether they're homozygous or not- but generally the 'turquoise wash' will be most apparent on their upper body body (wings, breast, neck and head) The gene that causes the Turquoise patterning happens over time, so you won't know until they're fully mature exactly how much they'll eventually end up with.
Thank you, that's what I assumed, but am still learning to navigate google for information. lol