New book

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi can any one give me any info on a new book or update on
genetics made easy by dean smith.
Kev
prodigy

Re: New book

Post by prodigy »

Still not ready, apparently Deon is finalizing layouts ...........cant wait as he has apparently done extensive work on the new mutations and Opaline's !!!!!!

PM for Deon's Email Address to place orders
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Peter and Tartan,

The book and the e-book are finished and available here:
http://www.mcw-indianringnecks.com.au/store/

There is a complete chapter for the Deep mutation and another one for Emerald.

Regards

Recio
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Thanks Recio !!!!!!!!
Tartan ringnecks

Just ordered thanks prodigy & recio
Can't wait to see what dean has to say on the so called saddleback
And the deep.
And the out come on the emerald.
Kev
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Here is the Index of the new book.

http://parakeet.me/irn/f/INDEX.pdf

get it from:
http://www.mcw-indianringnecks.com.au/store/

Ben
Tartan ringnecks

Hi
just wondering has any one got their copy of the new book yet
If so what's the thought on it.
Kev
madas

Post by madas »

Tartan ringnecks wrote:Hi
just wondering has any one got their copy of the new book yet
If so what's the thought on it.
Last Sunday was the big printing day. :)

madas
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

I am still waiting for my copy, I was told that apparently there is a delay because Deon went through a surgery and was a rest + christmas & new year time.

Lets hope we get our copies soon.
madas

Post by madas »

Sherjil wrote:I am still waiting for my copy, I was told that apparently there is a delay because Deon went through a surgery and was a rest + christmas & new year time.

Yeap right. Deon was in the hospital over christmas time and new year. But my copy was shipped yesterday.
sottobosco

Post by sottobosco »

Same here. I received an email yesterday saying the book was on its way.

Robert
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

madas wrote:
Sherjil wrote:I am still waiting for my copy, I was told that apparently there is a delay because Deon went through a surgery and was a rest + christmas & new year time.

Yeap right. Deon was in the hospital over christmas time and new year. But my copy was shipped yesterday.
I got an email today from Deon that the book has been dispatched , can't wait to grab it and start reading :)
Tartan ringnecks

Has any one got their book yet if so any thoughts on it.
Kev
madas

Post by madas »

Tartan ringnecks wrote:Has any one got their book yet if so any thoughts on it.
Yup. I got my copy. :D
Recio

Post by Recio »

... me too ... it arrived yesterday in France

Recio
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

Yes guys, its finally done, I even had to make some latter-days adaptations and added many quality pics,- 170 pages 197 pictures.

I tried my best - Emerald, Dom Pied, Saddleback and all.

Hope you like it and find something there.

Deon Smith
Recio

Post by Recio »

Great you are back Deon,

Hope you can help us with the present discussion on Deeps and Emeralds.

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi everybody, hi Deon,

I will post here some comments on Deon's book, not as a critic but just looking for deeper understanding. I began breeding IRN when a friend offered me a lutino hen and a blue male 8 years ago. Later I discovered Deon's web site (bird sanctuary) and after reading about colour genetics I couldn't stop it anymore till now. In fact I am a devote pupil of Deon ... so do not misunderstand my comments about his wonderful work. I will comment the book at the same time I am reading it and I hope we all could learn something. Of course it would be great if Deon could add information/clarify any question arising from these comments.

Page 10: It is written: " A normal wild's type head is a lighther green than the rest of the body. This is because the head feathers normally have less melanin deposits"

I was not aware of any study on differential expression of melanin depending on body regions ... so here I am learning something.... but I think we must also analize the other components of colour to explain the lighther head colour in the wild IRN:

1. Psittacins: today we know that the intensity of psittacin expression is not uniform: it is higher in the head and it is related to a maximal expression of fluorescent psittacin (look at the head of the lutino male from Madas in page 13, or at the PallidIno in page 43). The higher expression of psittacins at this level could also participate in the production of a lighther head colour.

2. Feather structure: let's see 3 exemples sugesting that the head feather structure is different than feather structure in other body regions:

2a) I have observed that the head colour of a young blue IRN seems to change of colour (hue) and brigthness (saturation) depending on the angle sun-bird-observer. This is something really particular to the head feathers and not found (or to a much lesser extent) in other body regions.

2b) If you look at the head of DF dominant Pied Blue (Chriss Whipps, page 13) you will remark that the head appears as a light blue ... in a bird whithout peripheral melanocytes (at least in theory)... and, thus, without melanin. One possibility to explain this is that the blue colour is produced as a structural colour without any pigment ... so it would mean that the head feathers are somehow different of the body feathers which remain white.

2c) If you look at the head a Blue Cinnamon adult male you will see that it shows a blue colour while the rest of the body colour is mainly blue-grey. Since there are not psittacins, and the only melanin present in the whole bird is brown melanin, the only thing able to explain this specific colour is a different feather structure.

All this makes me think that the feather structure of head feathers is somehow different than the feather structure of other body regions, dysplaying a more ordered microstructure allowing to produce iridescent colours, and I wander if this could be the basis of the specific colours/mutations affecting the head, through an interaction structure/pigments deposition.

This is just to say that the head feather structure through an increase in the production of structural iridescent colours together with an increase in the concentration of psittacins (mainly fluorescent psittacin) could also participate to the apparent lighther (and brigther) head colour of the wild IRN.

Comments please

Recio
Deon Smith

Post by Deon Smith »

Recio and other guys

The sentence that Recio highlighted came from the very first Genetics-Made-Easy from 1997, it was taken from a website somewhere. Whether it was based on microscopy, peer-reviewed, or whether assumed, remains the question.

At the time the only well-known structural mutation was the Grey mutation. But lately we are forced to reconsider the impact of structural, or architectural effects. Look at the Misty with its play of colour. The ADM Pieds with its depth of colour; its brightness and overlying iridescent sheen, Dominant Pied's Saddleback morphotype in both SF (brightness, depth of colour, a light sheen, and especially the DF's obvious sheen.

Could these effects be based on a different light refraction and reflection, based on a change in architecture?

Differential feather types on different body parts must be possible.

And the Emerald, but that is another topic.

Deon