mutation guide?

Moderator: Mods

driver_hr

mutation guide?

Post by driver_hr »

Hello guys, i am new to ringnecks and im very confused with all the different colours and mutations there are. Is the a guide somewhere that can explain all these? Like pallid, lacewing, ino, pied, etc etc.

I have spent alot of time on this forum but it all is still very confusing to me. Or maybe someone can post a simple explanation for the basic mutations. I know this would really help me and the new members on this forum.

Thank you.
trabots

Re: mutation guide?

Post by trabots »

Bastiaan's book Asiatic Parrots and Their Mutations and Terry Martin's book Color Mutations and Genetics in Parrots are absolute necessities to understanding things. They are both available through Birdkeeper magazine
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I like this one...though I wish it had also had pictures of chick colours. The only thing I disagree with are the eye colours described- I've had 3 IRN's (Blue, Green and Pallid) and all have had blue eyes of varying degrees.
Anyway- Enjoy!
http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... rameri.htm
batel.bo

Post by batel.bo »

Join his request
Tartan ringnecks

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

First of all welcome driver hr to the world of Indian mutations

The books that trabots said are a must as thay will give you
the basics to set you on the right track and the proper names
of the mutations.

Let the journey begin.
Kev
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

In the meantime, try this link for a basic conversion of old and new names;

http://www.euronet.nl/users/dwjgh/newnames.htm

Hasn't been updated for awhile, but it contains the name differences that cause the most confusion eg, pallid (new term) = lacewing (old term).

I did actually start a thread about this a few weeks ago, trying to create a mutation 'dictionary' if you will, but came across the above link in another post, and thought it was set out the way I imagined it in my head, lol :D
Regards Deb