green cinnamon youngster

Moderator: Mods

shaun4rmsa

green cinnamon youngster

Post by shaun4rmsa »

hey everyone so after a previous post carmen made me wise that i may have a green cinnamon baby and a normal green.not going on on that thread so i can build up posts to be able to add photos lol.

so my question to all reading out there, when the cinnamon baby reaches adulthood(male/Female?) what would be the best colour option for a mate to keep from getting normal green out, as his/her blue and green parents already give normal green?Lutino?Albino?blue series?grey?

would love to hear what you guys think_dont want to waste this beautiful colour

thanks
shaun
willowisp71

Re: green cinnamon youngster

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Shaun,

Just so I've got this correct, you are saying your green cinnamons parents are a blue and a green? Blue cock, geen hen? Green cock, blue hen? And there must be cinnamon in there somewhere also? Visual? Or are we assuming split? I remeber reading your other post before, but can't recall the title or info in it sorry. Will try and check now whilst I wait for you to clarify the details on parents :)
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Ok found your post, and saw the pics Carmen loaded up for you :)

Firstly, I'm guessing your blue dad is split for cinnamon, as females can't be split to this mutation, (they either ARE cinnamon visually, or they are NOT), so that helps a little. Without knowing if the dad or mum is split to anything else, we get this;

1.0 blue /cinnamon
x 0.1 green
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon
50.0% 1.0 green /blue
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 green /blue
50.0% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue

Making your green cinnamon a female, and the straight green could be either sex, and split to blue or blue cinnamon.

Now if your green mum is split to, say blue, then we get this;

1.0 blue /cinnamon
x 0.1 green /blue
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 blue /cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 blue
25.0% 1.0 green /blue
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue
25.0% 0.1 blue cinnamon
25.0% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue

This also gives you a female green cinnamon, but split to blue this time. Without knowing all the variables, it will be hard to say what outcomes you will get pairing her to what colour, but here are a few options......

Pairing with a blue cock will only give you visually green birds, but cocks will be split to blue cinnamon and hens will be split to blue. If your green cinnamon IS split to blue, you will then get blue/cinnamon and green/blue cinnamon cocks and blue or green/blue hens.

Pairing with a single factor violet blue cock will give you green's and green violet(sf) chicks, the cocks split to blue cinnamon and the hens split to blue. If your green cinnamon is split to blue, you will also get blues and blue violets, some split to blue or cinnamon.

That should get you started. Perhaps someone else can chip in too, and when I get home later, I might try put a few others together for you.
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

Hi Deb, Thanks for replying- i love this forum-think im more addicted to reading whats on here than the birds now lol.

As you saw the mum is normal green, no idea of parentage-bought her from a birdpark when she was 6 weeks old.

blue dad - i got from a breeder at 8 weeks-now he if i remember correctly had a lutino parent(mum/dad????)

suppose ill have to wait for next breeding season to see what these two will produce next(maybe some more babies next time).

thanks for the info-very valuable- good to know its a hen- personality wise she? is the one who doesnt jump and fly when i come near but rather sits and squaks at me. the other normal green baby fly/jumps when i approach, screams and bites anywhere he can find a place lol- now i know that isnt an accurate why of deciphering gender because my green hen was wild and viscious when she was a juvinile whilst the blue dad was more affectionate right through.

but gender catogarizing is no rush to me?when the time comes and brings with the ring or not? then i will know and then start looking to some breeders for the perfect mates.

Deb a quick question the normal green baby?would he/She be split to blue? or lutino if the grandparent was infact lutino? and what would the best pairing be in this case then.

Btw like the violet idea!!!! are they difficult to come by?

happy birding
Shaun
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Shaun.

Molossus is right, it will depend on where you are in the world, as to the availability and price of violets....you would also want to be looking at reputable breeders so you know exactly what you are getting, ie what the parents mutations are at the very least.

Ok, so let's look at your blue cock, and explore a little bit more of where he has come from. Your blue cock has produced a green cinnamon, so we know he must be split to cinnamon to do this. You also think that one of his parents (cock or hen?) was lutino? So lets say his dad was the lutino........to produce your blue cock (who is split to cinnamon), we need to mate this lutino cock to a blue cinnamon hen. We also need the lutino cock to be split to blue, or else you won't get your blue cock, (blue is recessive, so you need a blue from both parents to get blue chicks).
The GenCalc results look like this;

1.0 ino /blue
x 0.1 blue cinnamon
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue /ino cinnamon >>>>>>> this is your blue cock
50.0% 1.0 green /blue ino cinnamon
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue ino
50.0% 0.1 ino /blue

Alternatively, lets say your cocks mum was the lutino? Again, she needs to be split blue, or else you won't produce blue chicks. Then your blue cocks dad would have been the blue cinnamon, or, he could have been a blue SPLIT to cinnamon, (cocks can be split to cinnamon, but hens can't be split to cinnamon). Either way, you would still get a blue cock split to cinnamon and ino from this pair, regardless of whether the cock was blue cinnamon or blue/cinnamon. We'll stick with him being just blue cinnamon, to keep it simple.

1.0 blue cinnamon
x 0.1 ino /blue
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue /cinnamon ino >>>>>>>> here is your blue cock again
50.0% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue cinnamon
50.0% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue

So now we have your blue cock as being either blue/ino cinnamon, or blue/cinnamon ino. The placement of ino before cinnamon, or vice versa, depends on which parent of your blue cock was the lutino, and which was cinnamon. Lets see if that makes a difference in the outcome of your blue cock and green hen. And for the purpose of this exercise, we are going to assume your hen is green with no splits, (until they produce a blue chick, you will just have to assume this).

Results if your cock is blue/cinnamon ino =

1.0 blue /cinnamon ino
x 0.1 green
% from all 1.0
48.5% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon
1.5% 1.0 green /blue ino-cinnamon
48.5% 1.0 green /blue ino
1.5% 1.0 green /blue
% from all 0.1
1.5% 0.1 ino cinnamon /blue
48.5% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue >>>>>>>> your green cinnamon here
1.5% 0.1 green /blue
48.5% 0.1 ino /blue

Results for cock bing blue/ino cinnamon =

1.0 blue /ino cinnamon
x 0.1 green
% from all 1.0
48.5% 1.0 green /blue cinnamon
1.5% 1.0 green /blue ino-cinnamon
48.5% 1.0 green /blue ino
1.5% 1.0 green /blue
% from all 0.1
1.5% 0.1 green /blue
48.5% 0.1 green cinnamon /blue >>>> your green cinnamon here
1.5% 0.1 ino cinnamon /blue
48.5% 0.1 ino /blue

So, no difference in the outcomes anyway. You'll also notice, that although you have a high chance of producing green cinnamon/blue and ino/blue (lutino) hens from this pairing, there is a very low chance of producing ino cinnamon/blue and green/blue hens, (but not impossible!). Also, ALL of the cocks you produce from this pair will be visually green, but split to any combination of blue, cinnamon and/or ino.

Your green cinnamon chick is therefore, split to blue, and female :) (All this is, of course, dependant on your hen not being split to anything, and nothing else contributing to you blue cocks genetics!!)

Now, have I confused the heck out of you yet? lol, :lol: Once you get the basics of how the genetics work, and how to enter them into the GenCalc, it can be quite fascinating to explore the possibilities. If you are really interested in the genetics of your birds, and the possible outcomes of breeding them, then I highly recommend you jump on board the thread Lushen has started for us newbies regarding using the Genetic Calculator. It starts off with the very basics, and has links to some very good background info on genetics also. Be warned though.........you could find yourself becoming totally addicted to the study of IRN genetics.......just like I have!! (much to my husbands quiet concern!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the link:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15669

Happy reading! :D
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

hi molossus-thanks-really enjoy this forum and already find myself checking for new posts a few times daily(and reading some of the older ones over again,just to wrap my head around it.i have found a new passion for an old love. i have always had birds, but only ever has my show pigeons bred(basically only cause they will breed just about anywhere lol-this was the first year i thought i would try as my hen is already 8 going on 9 years and i really wanted to have a chick of hers. enjoy reading everyones posts.

hi deb- wow that is such a clear description that it actually made sense for the first time in a more scientific way, so interesting and as you say until they have a blue chick i wont know to what the hen is split but at least we have a better understanding in some way of the dad's genetics(to a certain extent).
thank you very much, i feel somewhat more in the loop now lol.

oh guys i live in pretoria, south africa and havent been to a proper aviary in years(blue dad is four now and he comes from a small hobby breeder)so i dont actually know what colors some of the bigger parks are keeping these days.
i remember 8 years back when i bought the green hen all i could find was lots of green, some yellow and very rarely a blue, still personally i havent seen cobalt or violet or green cinnamon for that matter- strangest other colours have been albino, a white and a grey.
deb i think im addicted already lol- i am actually a show dog breeder,but i must admit birds have always been my first love(just never tried breeding, but NOW) i cant wait for next season-cant believe i wasted so many breeding years keeping the hen as a pet in the house for so long.

cant tell you guys how excited i am in this new/old? prospect of birding!

ciao guys
shaun
thanks for all your replies guys
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hahaha! Glad I could shed some light on the issue, Shaun, if only a little!! :D I'm pretty sure SA has violet mutation breeders - I think you just need to be in the right circles to find them! My understanding is that the "serious" breeders tend to stick to each other, and may not advertise in the more common or public arena's as the backyard hobbyist's etc

Oh, and never underestimate the value of keeping IRNs as pets rather than breeders, as they do so make such wonderful companions if raised as such :D It's just an added bonus if you get to breed your feathered friends also, and bring the joy of IRN companionship to others :mrgreen:

You must definitely keep us informed of your next breeding season - I'd love to know what else pops up for that pair!
I already have a blue male myself, and will soon be getting a grey cinnamon (silver) female when she is weaned. Our intention is to give our mature boy a companion for now, with the hope of breeding them when she is old enough - but I am now wondering if I will be able to stand waiting the 2-3 years until she's old enough to breed!! :lol: I may just have to convince my husband to expand our brood next year and source a mature female for him, and then get our little silver girl a boy later down the track :D :D :D
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

Deb i was just on lushen's topic on gencal. so great-i finally get what everyone is talking about somewhat.amazing and yes just like the show dogs, the true show breeders dont advertise and such and stick together(took me some time to get into that circle lol)i will definetly keep everyone posted. i am expanding the aviary next month as i am keeping the cinnamon baby and also i cant wait until she is old enough to breed. i have seen so many examples of more functional cages and nest boxes on here(built this one myself but never thought of adding a door)lol.

thanks deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

p.s silver sounds interesting?is it more shiny than grey? i have to start getting these colours down-but that is something that seems a little more confusing.one thing at a time hey lol :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

shaun4rmsa wrote:oh guys i live in pretoria, south africa and havent been to a proper aviary in years(blue dad is four now and he comes from a small hobby breeder)so i dont actually know what colors some of the bigger parks are keeping these days.
My neck of the woods! You are welcome to visit, I have some of the mutations you mention you'd like to see, and some others as well. :)

I can also give you some pointers on the construction of aviaries. If you'd like to see first hand how it's done, I will be building a new wing of aviaries over the summer holidays, starting 11 Dec.
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

hi johan- that would be awesome-pm you!
ciao
shaun
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Aaaargh! Shaun, I'm sooooo jealous!! LOL, :lol: just kidding, but awesome for you getting to visit Johan's aviaries! Super exciting :D

Regarding the silver, (or Grey Cinnamon), she is a lighter colour than the normal grey...(both the cinnamon mutation and the pallid mutation will do this, but pallid in a different manner to the cinnamon)....and yes, at times it has a more 'shiny' look. This is my baby, photo taken when I think she was about 5 weeks old....she is now nearing 10 weeks.

And this link (if it works) is of a grey cinnamon cock and a grey hen, so you can see the difference. Our girl should look the cock, without the neck ring of course :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/ ... reyhen.jpg
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

hi deb yes thats gonna be awesome :D :D :D , and i finally have enough posts to add my own photo's

mom and dad

cinnamon-mikai
normal green-rumour

***nice to see photos in the post-wow that is such an awesome colour-really looks silver
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

i see what you mean with the photo of the cock and the hen yes-she is going to be beautiful deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Yes, I think so anyway :) Another week and we should be able to bring her home :D
Some breeders aren't that into the cinnamons now, or other mutations that 'wash' out the colour. There seem to be a lot that are going in for the CHCTs, or the cobalts, violets, mauves, and variations of these, looking for more 'deep' colours. One day I'd like to acquire some of these colours too :mrgreen:
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

deb i love all the colours-i would love to own a bird in every shade lol-i will leave the new colours to the mutation breeders lol- the know th value of each i colour to each breeding program, i on the other hand see it, i like it, i buy it lol.
what i would love to own in the new year is at least a lutino and a cobalt/or violet if i can find one-the cobalt for the cinnamon hen of mine lol
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

willowisp71 wrote:Aaaargh! Shaun, I'm sooooo jealous!! LOL, :lol: just kidding, but awesome for you getting to visit Johan's aviaries! Super exciting :D
You are welcome to join, Deb. The more help I can get, the better! Like I said, aviaries will be built. And nobody is going to stand around arms folded and watch me do it. Shaun doesn't know what he is letting himself in for... :lol:
shaun4rmsa wrote:deb i love all the colours-i would love to own a bird in every shade lol-i will leave the new colours to the mutation breeders lol- the know th value of each i colour to each breeding program, i on the other hand see it, i like it, i buy it lol.
what i would love to own in the new year is at least a lutino and a cobalt/or violet if i can find one-the cobalt for the cinnamon hen of mine lol
You are going to need a LOT of aviaries. And a lot of money. There are shades/mutations that start off at the price of a small car! :shock:
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

LOL, Johan!! I will see if my husband want's to come on a "working holiday" with me to South Africa...... :D We'll bring our own hammers and wire cutters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Deb
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

The hammers and wire cutters will be a problem at the airport. Rather leave and I will supply. :lol:
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hahahaha!! Ok, we'll leave the tools at home :lol: :D
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

Hahaha @deb yes I think so otherwise you won't be leaving any airport anytime soon and @johan I'm a boertjie, I'm not scared of work lol, have been busy with my home the last few weekends, still a lot of work but renovations are great fun