Injured Ringneck. Please help

Moderator: Mods

nivea.sj

Injured Ringneck. Please help

Post by nivea.sj »

Hi,

My Indian ringneck was hurt on its left side two days ago. It was accidently hurt by a broomstick which was flung and then it bumped into the wall. It fell down and fluttered. I wrapped it in a towel and picked it up, pampered it and put it back in cage.
I could see that the left eye corner was red (which has reduced much today).

We did take it to the vet who injected some medicines and after coming home it vomitted soon.It has been quiet ever since. Not moving around much. :(

Eats and drinks by itself and seems to be getting better. But I think he is finding it difficult to walk and perch. I made it fly and it did yet should I wait and let it heal by itself or is there anything to worry?

Please Help!

Thanks
Nivea
ellieelectrons

Re: Injured Ringneck. Please help

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Nivea

What did the vet say? Were you able to find an avian vet?

The only bird first aid advice I know is to provide a heat source near on their cage that they can get closer to or further away from as they feel necessary. When birds are sick or trying to heal their body needs more heat than normal.

I hope he gets better.

Ellie.
nivea.sj

Post by nivea.sj »

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for the advice. I do have a heater by his side.

We were told that he is an avian vet but frankly I was not so happy with him.

He told us to add fluids in the diet. Also that the bird is in a state of shock and thus it will take some time to come out of it.

But I hear that state of shocks can be fatal for birds. We are worried about him. The only thing that seems positive is that he is eating and drinking though less than normal. He didn't fly around the house when I let him out yesterday n instead was sitting in one corner and after 2 hours when we took the cage to him, he jumped in.

Thanks
Nivea
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like you are doing all you can do.

Regarding the heater, usually they recommend a heat lamp, something the bird can get closer to if he needs it and further away if he's too hot.

I wouldn't force him out of the cage, just open the door and see if he wants to come out. I've heard some good stories of birds recovering from physical injuries on this forum, so I hope yours is one of them too.

Sending good thoughts your little guy's way.

Ellie.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Nivea,

Any news on how your bird is doing? Hoping all is well :|
Regards Deb
nivea.sj

Post by nivea.sj »

HI Everyone,

Thanks for the advice and wishes sent across... :)

My birdie is doing good. He started running around the cage and had a small bath by its own today.
But yet does not make much of noise as he used too. Alert always when hears a sound and scared when am near the cage.

I left the cage door open but he does not want to come out. He is stretching his legs and flapping wings though.

Regards
Nivea