Feathers

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

Re: Feathers

Post by sheyd »

I must say when I opened the envelope, that I was surprised to see the 'dark purple' one in there- thought- uh- they really are all similar then- until I saw the 'bright blue' looking one underneath... lol

I think I placed those feathers in the right order- your darkest was I 'think' denser in colouring- but very close to the one next to it on the right.

I do hope you receive the feathers- I sent you the better ones. I haven't had anything lost in the mail before- but there's always a first.

Your bird's a beauty. :mrgreen:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

sheyd wrote:I haven't had anything lost in the mail before- but there's always a first.
From that statement alone I can tell you have never mailed something to SA. :lol:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I got them today.

I would not be surprised if both will end up being violet (sf or df) cobalt
as you said, there is a slight diff between the two
it'll be interesting to see if that's just a variation in color.
i will upload a pic soon
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Great that you got them!

Looking forward to seeing how they compare against your dfViolets & sfDark sfViolets as well as any others. :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:
sheyd wrote:
From that statement alone I can tell you have never mailed something to SA. :lol:
you're right :lol:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

something different..

Wildtype vs SL Edged Cinnamon green

full morning sun:

shade:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

variation between two reg Blues

full sun

shade
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Pic of the feathers
same as Shey did but instead of last being blue I added an SF Violet Green
2 in the middle are feathers of Shey's birds.my take: df violet (dark?), sf dark df/sf violet is my guess.
The diff. is very small could even be the same mutation if a slight variation of color is in play, time will tell.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

thanks for posting them Ben :D It is interesting, that while they 'look' very much the same- they photograph differently.
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

I have just sat and read through every response here and WOW, I am learning so much! Thank you, I'm not concerned with breeding at all but this is just facinating
Alicia,
Mum to Peppermint & Sprite
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

1.0 SL Edged vs 1.0 Wildtype(centre)

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

1.0Wildtype, 0.1Wildtype, 1.0 SL Edged

(nest siblings-middle and right, sire left)

differences between 2 Wildtypes (father and daughter)

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Feathers from Ben

photographed in the shade and was overcast

From the bottom up- two written in Blue are known-

Blue(one of mine)
Deep?
Deep?
sf American Violet
Cobalt?
Cobalt?
Cobalt?
sfViolet, sfDeep?
dfViolet?
dfViolet?
sfViolet, sfDeep?
dfViolet, sfDark (one of mine)
dfViolet, sfDark + sfDeep?

How'd I go Ben....?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,

I can tell you the 3 feathers with green on them are from Green SF Violet birds.

the light feather you did not post is from my "yellow" hen (although faded) , if you turn it sideways you'll notice the violet sheen.

Last edited by Ring0Neck on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

yes, noticed the violet- I already looked at that :) I was thinking it was perhaps a Violet Blue Ino.
also noticed that on the other edge it had a pinkish quality

wow- so much variance- the Violet Greens are only sf? they look so much darker than the sf American Violet feather you gave- hmm :!: :?:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,

I've had & seen many violet ino birds and all looked white no violet sheen on them at all.
There are a few that one can see the violet fluorescence but i bet that's caused by another mutation.

I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Not doubting you... I just didn't consider that it might have been from your Pallid- that is all.

:|
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

sheyd wrote:From the bottom up- two written in Blue are known-

Blue(one of mine)
Deep?
Deep?
sf American Violet
Cobalt?
Shey/Ben, SA breeders probably won't agree with that order. Here our American violets are quite a bit darker than cobalt and very much in line with the green SF (US) violet feathers. NT violet is just a shade lighter than cobalt and very easily confused with cobalt, but that isn't the case for US violet.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Yea, Although it is a direct 4th gen bird from original, it's tail is rather light, even Shey was surprised how light it was.
I'll breed that male this year n see if he is carrying s-thing else.
We know that PR ran into a "Misty" modifier early in the game.
other than its tail, the head n body is rather dark. same modifier could be in play!?.
he is moulting and tail just starting to grow back, i'll take a photo of him in weeks to come.

I've been planning to go see the original imported hen into Oz, just did not get around to it.

PS: Johan it looks like i'm getting the vio green/ct hen sister of emerald from Aaron early next week if all goes well.

I'm an Explorer
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I'm still curious to know what happened in PR's collection after that article that is now almost a decade old. How time flies!

PS: Great stuff, Ben. Hope that bird brings you lots of joy. I'll also upload some interesting comparative photos in a couple of weeks time when my birds are through their moult.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,

I'll send you next week some more feathers.
I have just found a few more feathers and of the Violet SL Edged mature male, I thought you might want to have it.
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:
I have just found a few more feathers and of the Violet SL Edged mature male, I thought you might want to have it.
Sure would.. not sure how the bird would like to be stuffed in an envelope and sent through the mail though... :lol: :P
Johan S wrote:I'll also upload some interesting comparative photos in a couple of weeks time when my birds are through their moult.
Great stuff! :D
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Shey
I have had a DF Violet hen paired to a Violet Cobalt/cinnamon cock for some years trying to get a DF Violet Cobalt and a range of Violet Cobalt cinnamons.
I think i got most of the cinnamons over time but I have found multiple structural gene combos in cinnamon impossible to separate visually. Strangely, I have never got a DF Violet Cobalt and I think that bird you posted a photo of earlier in the thread is probably the elusive DF Violet Cobalt. It looks mauver than any of the many i bred over the years, all of which were DF Violet or Violet cobalt.
Kind regards
Mike
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Mike - Judging from the feathers Ben sent me and the tail feather I added from one of your birds (in pic above)- I've concluded that they are dfViolet or sfViolet sfDark when looking at the sfViolet Green feather next to the one. Breeding will prove either way though. I now see how difficult it is to determine exactly what a double or triple structural mutation bird can be! :o

this is him not long after you sent him- he's almost finished his moult now- I find him most attractive- whatever he may be.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

This year we will try for the first time to breed a DF violet DF dark from two DF violet cobalts. That will be the last in the 'series' still outstanding, except for mauve violet, in which I have never had much interest.

Already looking forward to the next season, and it is still so looooong away. Hopefully our northern hemisphere friends will soon start reporting a good season, rather than the single chicks here and there we are hearing about at this stage (still early for them, though). And I hope it is better than last year for them.
madas

Post by madas »

Johan S wrote:This year we will try for the first time to breed a DF violet DF dark from two DF violet cobalts. That will be the last in the 'series' still outstanding, except for mauve violet, in which I have never had much interest.

Already looking forward to the next season, and it is still so looooong away. Hopefully our northern hemisphere friends will soon start reporting a good season, rather than the single chicks here and there we are hearing about at this stage (still early for them, though). And I hope it is better than last year for them.
So far no eggs until now.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:This year we will try for the first time to breed a DF violet DF dark from two DF violet cobalts.
Holding thumbs for you :D

Madas- good luck with your season!
madas

Post by madas »

sheyd wrote:
Johan S wrote:This year we will try for the first time to breed a DF violet DF dark from two DF violet cobalts.
Holding thumbs for you :D

Madas- good luck with your season!
Thx. Normally one month to go before laying eggs starts. But the females are very nest active.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Thanks Shey! :D

Madas, what's the weather like this winter? Is it as cold as last year?
madas

Post by madas »

Johan S wrote:Thanks Shey! :D

Madas, what's the weather like this winter? Is it as cold as last year?
Until last weekend we had temperatures aorung 5-10°C but now is getting colder down to -10°C. So same sh*t as last year. :(
Lets see how it develops. :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Holding thumbs for you guys! :D
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan, Shey

This is the fourth generation violet, i must say it is a light bird
flash used

H/U looks like a violet head n cobalt body
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

This is what i call nice

flash again

http://parakeet.me/irn/m/em/P1249162AL.jpg
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Feathers from 2 unrelated 2013 SF Grey
obviously the 2 are vastly different in color

funny thing is, no breeder ever seriously asks why the 2 colors are so diff. and will just pass both as sf grey.

1 more pic:
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/em/DSC_1360.jpg
same pic as above just more lighting
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/em/DSC_1360L.jpg
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

could perhaps one be a df Grey (do you know)? otherwise, it's probably just the variance (related to unknown modifiers :arrow: :?: ) we see across the board with all mutations.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

sheyd wrote:could perhaps one be a df Grey (do you know)? otherwise, it's probably just the variance (related to unknown modifiers :arrow: :?: ) we see across the board with all mutations.
No DF i bred it from a my avatar hen.
That's "generalising" and we all do it.
like a Doc. saying to a patient: "you have cancer coz of smoking" (patient never smoked) :lol:
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:Feathers from 2 unrelated 2013 SF Grey
obviously the 2 are vastly different in color

funny thing is, no breeder ever seriously asks why the 2 colors are so diff. and will just pass both as sf grey.

1 more pic:
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/em/DSC_1360.jpg
same pic as above just more lighting
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/em/DSC_1360L.jpg
Perhaps the right one is a "deep" grey. :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Also, maybe one aviary has more sun than the other? But you are right Ben, I often walk straight past grey birds, just looking long enough to establish if it is grey or mauve.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Whatever caused that SF Grey feather to go so dark imagine if the bird would have been Violet bird ! ?
We would call it a "nice" violet or DF Violet being so dark, causing confusion...
I'd love to know why this happened without saying "minor modifiers at work".

I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

thread revival

what a difference a good camera makes:

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,

The young grey is young still changing its pheotype, now it has an outburst of parblue showing mainly on the saddle area.
that alone would darken the tail feather.
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:Molossus,

The young grey is young still changing its pheotype, now it has an outburst of parblue showing mainly on the saddle area.
that alone would darken the tail feather.

I think you've just answered your own question :mrgreen:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey

Pretty much

Turq. should darken the tail, i wonder if that's something we can use before turquoise is visible in some feathering chicks to tell if normal or turquoise!?
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ringo- did you get any other Greys out of the same clutch?

ps.. the longest tail feather is from the dam of your dark Grey tail feather in my last pic :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

all parblues though
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Were they of varying shades?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Don't recall, if i find some old pics when i had them all, i'll post them.
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

weird but nice !

I title this pic "Alien Extraction" :mrgreen:
I'm an Explorer