first breeding of 8 year old hand reared green hen

Moderator: Mods

shaun4rmsa

first breeding of 8 year old hand reared green hen

Post by shaun4rmsa »

hi all new comer here, very fascinating site- so i bought a green hen 8 years ago and hand reared her, got a blue cock 4 years ago and also hand reared him. this year i put in a nesting box for the first time and put them in the same cage-lo and behold i now have 2 babies full of feathers and both green-one looks a little darker than the other. now my question as a first time irn grandparent: why did both come out green if the cock is blue? and what possibilities of mating would be best for the babies when they are adult considering the green split to blue?

thanks
really interested in responses that wont confuse a new comer-tried reading other post and it made my head hurt lol
McmillanBirds

Re: first breeding of 8 year old hand reared green hen

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Shaun

You may get a blue baby a couple seasons down the line as it takes up to 18 babies to get an idea of more or less what slpits are in each bird. Do you know what colour parents from each of your birds are?

As to pairing I would go with any blue series bird. Violet or cobalt if you are able to :)

Regards
Carmen
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

McmillanBirds wrote:Hi Shaun

You may get a blue baby a couple seasons down the line as it takes up to 18 babies to get an idea of more or less what slpits are in each bird. Do you know what colour parents from each of your birds are?

As to pairing I would go with any blue series bird. Violet or cobalt if you are able to :)

Regards
Carmen

hi Carmen
thanks for replying-as i initially bought both for pets to hand rear i never even thought of asking susch questions in the beginning-let alone any plans that they had to be hen and cock_just happened by accident lol. so to answer no i have no clue as to parentage. although if i remember correctly the blue cock had a lutino parent(hen or cock dont know). i reallly like the violet and cobalt idea beautifull colours!!! always wanted to own a lutino as well-would this be at all usefull with these green babies or will i be wasting good breeding years?
i am just a hobby breeder as i said first time even but for future or next breeding would like to be more prepared and plan properly.

thanks again
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

if that is the case regarding the cock bird you do have a possibility that any male green baby may have a 50/50 chance to be split albino. The only way to find out is by test mating them when they are ready. If your blue cock bird is split lutino a yellow baby should pop out over the next few seasons to confirm it.
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

McmillanBirds wrote:if that is the case regarding the cock bird you do have a possibility that any male green baby may have a 50/50 chance to be split albino. The only way to find out is by test mating them when they are ready. If your blue cock bird is split lutino a yellow baby should pop out over the next few seasons to confirm it.

WOW thanks guys i know you all must have read these questions a million times and im sorry if i ask stuff already spoken about_its just very confusing when you grew up with a green and a blue and knew if yellow-those 3 colours being your only reference-dont get me wrong im no idiot-i just never planned to breed my two tame in house birds so after this unexpectedly well first try with two babies from only 2 eggs i decided to research somewhat but it is very overwhelming. extremely interesting, but overwhelming. this forum is the best thing i could find on the net so please bare with me lol. i now want to know as much as i can about these lovely birds that have been part of my life for the past 8 years, and do the right thing by them-not just breeding out of dumbness.thanks guys for your input thus far-hoping for a surprise then next season
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

shaun4rmsa wrote:
McmillanBirds wrote:if that is the case regarding the cock bird you do have a possibility that any male green baby may have a 50/50 chance to be split albino. The only way to find out is by test mating them when they are ready. If your blue cock bird is split lutino a yellow baby should pop out over the next few seasons to confirm it.

WOW thanks guys i know you all must have read these questions a million times and im sorry if i ask stuff already spoken about_its just very confusing when you grew up with a green and a blue and knew if yellow-those 3 colours being your only reference-dont get me wrong im no idiot-i just never planned to breed my two tame in house birds so after this unexpectedly well first try with two babies from only 2 eggs i decided to research somewhat but it is very overwhelming. extremely interesting, but overwhelming. this forum is the best thing i could find on the net so please bare with me lol. i now want to know as much as i can about these lovely birds that have been part of my life for the past 8 years, and do the right thing by them-not just breeding out of dumbness.thanks guys for your input thus far-hoping for a surprise then next season

Hi guys just an update and some pics-my 2 babies are fully feathered now,starting to climb out of the nest box and sitting on top of it-though they are both green-one is green like the hen(lighter with the yellowish tinge)the other one is a much darker solid green no yellow tinge(almost like grass) ill try to upload the photos of the parents now and next weekend when I take out the babies ill post pictures of them.I didn't plan on taking out the babies but as of about 3/4 days ago it seems the hen is breeding again(I'm not a nest checker so I'm not sure how many eggs but she is breeding in the one corner and the 2 babies are sitting in the other corner,or on the nest box-is it normal for them to breed whilst other babies are still in nest? Can anyone tell me how to upload photos(does it work with a google + account?)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Shaun

Here is a link to help you. I used an imageshack account though, you can also use photobucket, the principle is all the same:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=15060
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

McmillanBirds wrote:Hi Shaun

Here is a link to help you. I used an imageshack account though, you can also use photobucket, the principle is all the same:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=15060

Hi carmen thanks for all your help-im sure u get tired of people asking the same stuff over end over again.sorry lol.anyway let's see if I got this right,did the image shack thing so here is the parents

Ok my message looks to spamy-please remove all links-so no luck-sorry carmen.really wanted u to at least see the babies compared to one another one is apple green and the other a lime green with turquois tail feathers.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I think you have to be a member for a certain no. of days(10?) and 10 or 15 posts or something like that. Some thing you could do is post the link but wherever there is a "." write in dot. I can then type in the link myself and perhaps post the photos for you?
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

McmillanBirds wrote:I think you have to be a member for a certain no. of days(10?) and 10 or 15 posts or something like that. Some thing you could do is post the link but wherever there is a "." write in dot. I can then type in the link myself and perhaps post the photos for you?

that would be awesome-really want to share the pics.
first- the parents imageshackdotus/a/img248/9803/pretoria2012112500084dotjpg

Dad Koos- imageshackdotus/a/img87/8169/pretoria2012112500088dotjpg

Mom Jackie-imageshackdotus/a/img209/5365/pretoria2012112500087dotjpg

babies together-imageshackdotus/a/img802/7696/img2012112600097dotjpg

baby mikai-imageshackdotus/a/img850/3989/img2012112600096dotjpg

baby rumour-imageshackdotus/a/img854/6084/img2012112600093dotjpg

thanks so much carmen :D
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Dad Koos- http://imageshack.us/a/img87/8169/preto ... 500088.jpg

Mom Jackie- http://imageshack.us/a/img209/5365/pret ... 500087.jpg

babies together- http://imageshack.us/a/img802/7696/img2012112600097.jpg

baby mikai- http://imageshack.us/a/img850/3989/img2012112600096.jpg

baby rumour- http://imageshack.us/a/img854/6084/img2012112600093.jpg

Sorry- with the link given I can only access the pic itself-not the whole thing- so this will have to do for now :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

It looks as though you have a cinnamon green baby and a normal green- they are beautiful babies though :)
shaun4rmsa

Post by shaun4rmsa »

McmillanBirds wrote:It looks as though you have a cinnamon green baby and a normal green- they are beautiful babies though :)

thank you so much-just glad you were able to see them all. i also thought cinnamon from pics i found-so does that give you some idea of the parents could be split to?? i was rather surprised when i took them out cause in the dark nest they both looked the same shade-only when i took them out did i see.very nice solour i think-personally i have never seen one like that and never expected such a strange colour-the cinnamon one has a turqious tail-dont know if you noticed from the pic and the normal green one is much darker richer green than mom now-he will probably be closer to her colour when he moults.
thanks carmen :D