Mutation Dictionary

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

Mutation Dictionary

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone else would like to contribute to a "Mutation Dictionary", so that novices like me can find the updated name of a particular mutation when coming across an older term ie pallid (new term) = lacewing or lime (old terms)??? :?:
It would also be great to see the gencalc version of a mutation eg a D blue violet (df) = ....what??
Or alternatively, Indigo Blue = ......???

I'll start off with the little I already know, but please correct me if I get something wrong! :lol: Thanks.

Pallid = lacewing (or lime)
Pastel = Turquoise blue
Aqua = Emerald (Oz) = a more uniform turquoise blue (less green tinge evident)
Silver = Grey Cinnamon
Sky Blue = Cinnamon Blue
Olive = Double Dark factor green (DD green?)
Grey Green = grey(sf) green
sf = single factor
df = double factor
D = Dark
CHCT (Cleartail) = WHWT (White Head White Tail), YHYT Yellow Head Yellow Tail
Parblue = ???
Wildtype = Normal green as found in the wild
Rainbow = Turquoise Blue Pallid
Clearhead Fallow = Buttercup or Yellowheaded Red-eye

To the experts - please feel free to add to this list........or for newbies like me, ask an expert for a definition :D I'm sure there are some other terms I've come across that I haven't yet listed, that need clarifying also - I'll update as I think of them :lol:
Last edited by willowisp71 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards Deb
rod038

Re: Mutation Dictionary

Post by rod038 »

Yellow Head Yellow Tail (YHYT) and White Head White Tail (WHWT) = Cleartail
trabots

Post by trabots »

Why not just CHCT or clear head clear tail for all 'tail birds'? Using YHYT for green and WHWT for Blue what do you use for Parblue 'tail birds'?
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks guys!! :D

Willy - I think what Rod means is that YHYT and WHWT are the OLD terms that some people still throw around, but the new UPDATED terminology is, as you mentioned, CHCT, or "Cleartail" :D
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Ok, so can I get the experts to clarify/correct these for me?

Violet Green = green violet (sf) = <modern name>?
Violet Turquoise = turquoise(parblue) violet(sf) = <modern name>?
Violet blue = blue violet(sf) = <modern name>?
Violet = blue violet (df) = violet

Where do the terms indigo, cobalt, mauve, emerald violet blue, fit in with the above?

Thanks heaps :D
Regards Deb
king kong

Post by king kong »

Hi
every one its good to share knowledge

Pallid = lacewing (or lime)
Pastel = Turquoise blue
Silver = Grey Cinnamon
Sky Blue = Cinnamon Blue
Olive = Double Dark factor green (DD green?)
Grey Green = grey(sf) green
sf = single factor
df = double factor
D = Dark
CHCT (Cleartail) = WHWT (White Head White Tail), YHYT Yellow Head Yellow Tail
Parblue = ???
Wildtype = Normal green as found in the wild

Par Blue = sometimes refer to Turquoise Blue

regards
trabots

Post by trabots »

ParblueBlue = TurquoiseBlue or IndigoBlue or EmeraldBlue (alleles are joined using caps) = 'pastel' = heterozygous Parblue = heteroallele

Parblue = Turquoise or Indigo or Emerald = homozygous Parblue = df Turquoise or df Indigo or df Emerald (my own way using lower case, dominant in Blue series only)

SF = single factor dominant = heterozygous dominant in Green and Blue series

DF = double factor dominant = homozygous dominant in Green and Blue series
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

:shock: lol, my brain just did a somersault, then a backflip, reading that last post, Willy :lol: :lol: :lol: I've still got a long way to go before getting my head totally around homozygous, heterozygous, alleles etc...........I understand the basics of it, but find, when I come across a reference to it, that I need to refer back to other threads to remind me of what means what, and how that affects the mutation etc :) I'll get there eventually :lol:

Thanks so much for your input, everyone.......it's really been helpful, and together with this thread and Lushen's GenCalc teachings, I'm finding that I can better identify a lot of the birds I come across that have been incorrectly labelled, and have even helped some of the local BYB (Back Yard Breeder's) identify their parent birds genetics based on the offspring, (always bearing in mind that it can take several years of breeding to truly determine any splits that may be lurking!) :wink:

Thanks again, and please, keep the 'translations' coming! :D
Regards Deb
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:ParblueBlue = TurquoiseBlue or IndigoBlue or EmeraldBlue (alleles are joined using caps) = 'pastel' = heterozygous Parblue = heteroallele
Hi Willy, one should be very careful to use 'pastel' in this context, even when using apostrophes. Pastel is a recognized mutation of the a-locus and should never be used to describe parblues, not even as 'pastel'. It only encourages the incorrect old usage. Just my two cents.
trabots

Post by trabots »

I agree
trabots

Post by trabots »

willowisp71 wrote::I've still got a long way to go before getting my head totally around homozygous, heterozygous, alleles :D
Try getting your head around these key points:

locus = location on chromosome which has 2 spots on it for 2 and only 2 genes, these are wildtype at all locii in a normal bird. Every mutant gene can only exist at one specific locus with rare exceptions known as crossover.

homozygous = 2 mutant genes At The Locus = DF dominant = df Parblue = the full expression of that mutation

heterozygous = 1 mutant gene and 1 wildtype gene ATL = SF dominant = split recessive = hen sex linked.

allele = any gene which can share a locus with another gene = for us birders, 2 mutant genes which can share a locus

heteroallele = 1 Turquoise gene and 1 Blue gene ATL = TurquoiseBlue, and = 1 Indigo gene and 1 Turquoise gene ATL = IndigoTurquoise, etc. These birds usually have an appearance (phenotype) that is in between the two mutations.

homoallele = homozygous = df Turquoise or Blue or DF Greygreen or male Lutino etc.

One key thing to remember with Parblues if they are homozygous or df then there can be no room left for the Blue allele. A df Turquoise or df Emerald is not even split for Blue or any other allele for the Blue locus. Such a bird bred to a Green series would produce 100% heterozygous or Greens split for Parblue.

Also remember that a chick can only receive 1 gene or allele from a particular locus in a parent while the other parent contributes the other from the same locus to fill the locus in the chick. Blue:Blue x Green:Green = 100% Green:Blue or wildtype split for Blue birds. Each chick received a Blue gene and a Green gene. Understand this and the rest comes easier.
dwaine

Post by dwaine »

wht is the chart for the blue one ..
i have a male green split to lutino and a female green ones ..wht color would i get ??
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the above break-down and clarification....that actually makes it alot easier to understand.....although I've had to read it twice through just to make sure I got my head around it :lol:
Regards Deb