What to pair with a Violet and Double Factor Violet

Moderator: Mods

littlemiraclesaviary

What to pair with a Violet and Double Factor Violet

Post by littlemiraclesaviary »

Next weekend I will receive two new birds a Violet hen and a double factor violet male. They are siblings so I need to find mates for each of them. I have access to grey, blue and olive CHCT birds should I pair them with any of those birds?
Ring0Neck

Re: What to pair with a Violet and Double Factor Violet

Post by Ring0Neck »

pair them to either blue and olive CHCT
When you say Olive, make sure Olive it's not grey-greens, if not sure check the parents of the Olive.
Not Grey as it masks Violet

CHCT - if your birds are not split for CHCT you get all birds split for chct.
littlemiraclesaviary

i am a little nervous about the olive because it is on the opposite side of the country and since they are imported birds i have no history on them.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

If the seller is a reputable breeder not a dealer, ask local breeders and get some feedback on the seller.

littlemiraclesaviary

the problem is the seller imported the birds and does not have a whole lot of information on them so it's difficult.

So the reason not to put a grey with the violet is because it will mask it? But will I still get some visual violets or will they all be grey? The seller says he has one grey that is really dark grey almost charcoal I am assuming that this is a double factor? Will that make the grey take over even more?
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

Hi

a double factor grey bred to a violet will produce all grey phenotypes, so its not a very good pairing. If its single factor grey it should have 25 % violet offspring

Have you already bought the violets ?
Last edited by hammadahsan on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlemiraclesaviary

I have hearad that name before and have been warned over and over to stay clear so they are not coming from him I am happy to say. I have bought the violets I should be receiving them next weekend. I am debating wether I should stick to pallid and stay away from the CHCT for now.