Strange colour

Moderator: Mods

Tartan ringnecks

Strange colour

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi all Bot 3 ringnecks last week from a friend who breed all 3. 1 from this year Whitch is blue
And to green birds. From last year but the green birds don't look like normal green.

The parents are emerald cock bird and green Dom pied split blue hen

Young green birds have lite toe nails and one is brighter than the other

Is it possible that the green birds are showing that thy are green emeralds ?
Kev
Ring0Neck

Re: Strange colour

Post by Ring0Neck »

could you post some pictures?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Tartan,

Perhaps the brighther one is green emerald. If it was the case you are owing a rare bird that will answer a lot of questions about the inheritance pattern of Emerald. For further confirming you should have a look at him under uv.

Regards

Recio
Tartan ringnecks

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi Recio

What will I find when I put the bird under the light.

Tartan.
Kev
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Tartan,

If it was an Emerald green you should see a bluish fluorescence. If it was any other mutation or a normal green the fluorescence should be yellowish.

What about pics?

Regards

Recio
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Pics please! :D I would be very interested to see the birds as well. Would be especially interesting if you can have your green birds in the same picture as a normal to clearly make the difference visible. Like the other folks have mentioned, it would be invaluable to investigate the bird under UV and to compare with a normal green/parblue/lutino/creamino (whichever you have available).
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Tartan,

If you really have an Emerald green IRN it would mean that Emerald is not a parblue mutation, and it would mean that it inherits as a dominant mutation ... and you will destroy the holy cow considering Emerald as a parblue.

About the fluorescence pattern ... nobody knows. Why? Because from a theoretic point of view this bird should dysplay the bluish fluorescence due to the mutated even psittacin and also the yellowish fluorescence due to the normal patched psittacin. How can our eyes perceive both fluorescences at the same time? Would it be a "greenish" fluorescence? Would it be more bluish or more yellowish? Would it be bluish on the primary flying feathers of the wings, as they only own even psittacin, and greenish or yellowish on the rest of the body? .... or our eyes will not be able to "see" both fluorescences as a fluorescent flashing colour but as a solid colour?

As you can see there are a lot of questions and not answers till now. Just speculations. May be Johan, with far more knowledge than me in light physics, could "shed more light" on the subject.

Regards

Recio
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Hi Recio,

I will respond in more detail one day when I have the lab measurements to back up what we are currently observing with our eyes for the UV experiment. Going forward, I need to collect the necessary feathers and fine tune one or two problems that we identified when we took our first measurements.

As to what to expect, I reckon we will see both fluorescent colours, but in different regions. The neck, back and chest should show the emerald mutation nicely. The wings will most like show a colour between the two fluorescent colours. But, with the non-idealities of the UV sources extending into the "wanted/observed" region of the spectrum where we expect to see the fluorescent components, we can't know for sure how big the effect will be until we try it.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Johan,

I completely agree with you. We need lab measurements of the reflected ligth to avoid mis-understandings due to our poor quality eyes with just 3 types of cones (4 or 5 for birds) and our brain mixing wavelengths and making us to see what does not exist (Ex: we can see the "brown" colour despite that there is not any "brown" wavelength in the ligth spectrum).

Really expecting results from you although I reckognize that this is not so simple and it could constitute in itself a doctoral work.

Best regards

Recio
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Gents please post some living pictures :)