Question about Albino Ringneck....

Moderator: Mods

Wild_brumby

Question about Albino Ringneck....

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi Guys,

My partner and I bought what we where told to be, a Male Albino Ringneck. I asked the people we brought him from how they know he was a male. Had he been DNA tested as I know the whites/albinos do not get a Ring... They told me they didn't know if it has been DNA tested as they brought it from a lady and thats what they where told.... So I have yet to work out if indeed it is a male....

Anyway, thats not the question, the question I have is do Albino ringnecks HAVE to have Red eyes? I understand the Albino gene as my Sister and Brother both have albinism themselves. This ringneck we picked up yesterday is pure white in feathers, and his feet at very pale pink/white, not as pink as our Lutinos feet.... However, he has Blue eyes.... Now, I know with Humans, if they have albinism they do not always have red eyes, as my brother and sister have Blue eyes, but lack pigment in the skin and hair. Can this be the same with Birds or...? I will be honest, I am just getting into the Ringneck breeding and slowly trying to understand their Genetics... I have never acctually seen a White Ringneck with Blue, not Red eyes.... Then again, the white ringnecks I have seen previously, I may not have been paying enough attention hehe

I would upload a picture of him but I am having trouble as I havn't been a member long enough to post from Photobucket.... and I can't work out this 'board attachment quota'....? Ill post one asoon as I can work it out :)

So if you can help me with this, it would be muchly appriciated!!
Thank you,
Sarah
willowisp71

Re: Question about Albino Ringneck....

Post by willowisp71 »

Welcome Sarah,

I read your post in the 'Introduce yourself' forum, and thought I'd say hello. I am only new to this site also, but have found it a wealth of information, and such a great bunch of people too. Although I can't answer your question about your albino's mutation (as I'm still learning all this stuff myself :D ) I thought I would re-confirm that it won't be until next Wednesday that you'll be able to post photo's and links etc.......frustrating, I know, when a photo is what you need to show others what your question relates too, but it is also unfortunately necessary to keep the spammers at bay :roll: I was finally able to upload pics on the weekend just gone, HOORAY :lol:

In the meantime, I would suggest your use the next 5 days or so to get your post's up to 15 by reading and commenting on other peoples thread/post's, as there is a lot of useful and interesting information and tips contained in these pages. I use the 'search' tab quite a lot to find answers to many of my questions, and it's a great way to get to know many of the other users.

Hope you get some answers soon, and enjoy your new feathered friend :D
Regards Deb
Wild_brumby

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi Deb,

No worries, hopefully someone can help me with my question hehe

Thanks for confirming that for me :) I had read something on the site (might have been FAQs?) about not being able to post pictures until you had posted a number of times and been a member for a certain amount of time.... Guess i'll wait and try and find some posts that I am able to comment on hehe

Regards,
Sarah
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

I though I had an 'Albino' IRN also. Well that's what the breeder told me..... except he also has blue eyes! I went to a pet store yesterday and asked their professional breeder and he said that my bird is not albino if he has blue eyes. when I showed him a picture he also said his feet weren't light enough

Sometimes when I look at my IRN he had the most faintest almost pearlescent very light blue on his back an tail. I only notice it sometimes (in pictures he just looks white), therefore I thought it might be just a reflection of something on his feather. But I moved him around the house and if I look closely he has it everywhere! Now I'm confused as to what he is?

So according to this professional your IRN isn't albino either.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

It could be a Blue Cinnamon Pallid as they are very light almost white but should still have a pure white head. That doesnt explain the Blue eyes though.
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

Hi rod038,
Why cant they have blue eyes?
Thanks!
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi AmyJoy

Is it the pupil or the iris that is blue?

Some my lacewings have a very dark red almost black pupil with a blue iris. View my user avatar of Lacey, she is a green pallid(lacewing). Her pupil is dark with the blue iris. Just right click on it and select view image.

Thanks
Carmen
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

See my answer here:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15781

My guess is a "Light phase" Blue Pallidino Cock -
Rod's suggestion of Cinnamon can also be.
however it is almost impossible to get 5 whites in the nest, based on the parents you described, it should be 1 in 4 or 1:6.
Understanding the parents will shade light on your bird's genetic makeup.
Blue PallidINO - Image
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

Hi Carmen,
My IRN has a blue iris and very dark pretty much black pupils. Pretty much the same as your Lacey.

Ring0Neck I think you commented on one of my other posts about this and I thank you. The breeders said it was very strange that their pair had produced 5 whites. They only had the one pair so these must have been the parents. They were green although I didn't look closely. They could have had blue in them. My birds colouring looks close to the picture you have put up but I only notice the tinge of blue sometimes.

Thanks!