Violet Blue

Moderator: Mods

pizzaguru

Violet Blue

Post by pizzaguru »

This may seeem like a simple question, but I keep seeing peolple quoting different things. Is there a difference between a Viloet and a Blue Violet?
rod038

Re: Violet Blue

Post by rod038 »

There are Violet Greens and Violet Blues. Sometimes if it just says Violet it can mean Violet Green but other times people call Violet Blues just Violets.
pizzaguru

Post by pizzaguru »

ok, i think I'm getting the jist of this. I have a turquoise viloet pallid hen, so although she shows just the violet looking colour, and not the deep blue looking violet, (is this because of the pallid?) would she still be classed as a 'turquoise blue violet pallid'?? Hope this makes sense
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I think I now see where things might confuse you. Birds are described by the mutations they carry (this is the genotype), and not the colours that we see (this is the phenotype). Secondly, the mutations name is selected in such a way that it closely describes what happens when compared to wild birds (normal greens) carrying only that one mutation. When you start breeding multiple combinations, we still use all the mutated genes in the name. Here is an example: a bird will be called an albino violet or a blue ino violet. Such a bird carries the blue gene, the ino gene and the violet gene. However, it will be a white looking bird (i.e albino). As you hopefully can see from the example, that is the exact reason why we give the genotype, and not the phenotype. Hope it makes sense! :D
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Being a pallid will lighten her Violet Colour.