Cinnamon Dom edged female x Green male

Moderator: Mods

SCB 22

Cinnamon Dom edged female x Green male

Post by SCB 22 »

Hey guys!!

Been a while and my brain is out of practise!!

My female is a Cinnamon Dom Edge (according to our experts here) and my male is a normal wild green male. I dont know the female parentage as she was bought in a petstore, but the male both parents are green.

What are my chances of getting anything other than green babies???

Thanks all!!!

Once again, so excited to be back!
Recio

Re: Cinnamon Dom edged female x Green male

Post by Recio »

Hi SCB

Dom edge seems to be a sex linked mutation. Thus your female is carrying cinnamon and dom edge in the same chromosome (type 1 linkage). We do not know which is the crossing over rate between dom edge and cinnamon (at least I do not know it) but, in this particular case, it is possible to know which are the genotypes and phenotypes expected:we can say that the offspring to expect is 100% green dom edge split cinnamon males (every male will inherit the dom edge and cinnamon genes from his mother) and 100% normal green females (every female sex chromosome is coming from the normal father).... so you will be able to visually sex your birds.

Regards

Recio
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Thank you very much for that Recio....

What does a normal green dom edge look like?
I would appreciate if anyone could explain or put a link for any pics?

Thank You again
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

SCB 22 wrote:Thank you very much for that Recio....

What does a normal green dom edge look like?
I would appreciate if anyone could explain or put a link for any pics?

Thank You again
The topic of edged birds was discussed not to long ago. You'll find some pictures there.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15415

@Recio: I'm pretty sure nobody knows the crossover rate of sex-linked dominant edge with any other sex-linked mutation yet. I think it is probably unique to IRN, being only the second sex-linked dominant mutation that I know of in any species. Anybody here maybe know of more? And with the relatively low number of offspring per season compared to budgerigar and roseicollis, I think it is going to take a long time to establish those numbers. Also, it doesn't help that most breeders don't know about it being sex-linked to begin with... I'm sure you knew that already, but maybe somebody else didn't. :)
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Johan,

Thanks for that, I actually read through that forum earlier this morning...

Recio, here is another question.

If I kept a young male, and bred him back with the cinnamon green dom edged female,
what would the outcome be? Cinnamon babies? Or just split cinnamons?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Come on SCB!!!

I remember your posts very well and I know you can deduce it yourself without any help.

Let's call "x" the probability of crossing over between dom edge and cinnamon ... which will be the % offspring of a (SF dom edge male split cinnamon with a type 1 linkage) X (dom edge cinnamon female)?

Try to do it ... and we will comment later

Regards

Recio
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

I used to be good at working out the genetics, but i am so out of practise.
I wasnt even going to breed this year, am down to just a single pair of birds from having about 4/5 pairs, and it was just a last minute decision to give them a box... So im still going back rereading old posts, trying to wrap my head around all our fancy mutation terminology!

I'll give it a bash at guessing though ....

if its

Cinnamon green dom edged female with
Green split cinnamon male

Obviously I will still get a percentage of normal green birds, and green split cinnamon as before?
But then also I would get visually cinnamon green birds correct? Would the dom edge come through in any of the cinnamon coloured offspring? Im not too sure with this pairing what % of babies will be which colour & gender though?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi SCB,

This possibility has not been added in any genetic calculator as far as I know. I am sure that Madas will add it in his software as soon as the crossing over rate will be known.

Let's analyse step by step for easier understanding.
First question: how may different types of gamets we will get from the male and from the female?

SF dom edge male split cinnamon with a type 1 linkage X dom edge cinnamon female

Results:

1. Female ovocytes will be two types:
1.1 Ovocytes without the Z chromossome and thus whithout dom edge ot cinnamon mutations .... 50%
1.2 Carrying the Z chromossome with both cinnamon and dom edge ... 50%

2. Male spermatozoids will show 4 types of Z chromossome: considering "x" as the crossing over rate
2.1 Cinnamon and dom edge .... 50-x/2 %
2.2 Cinnamon .... x/2 %
2.3 Dom edge .... x/2 %
2.4 Neither cinnamon nor dom edge ... 50-x/2 %

... and combining ovocytes and spermatozoids genetics we will get:

1. Females : they will inherit only one Z chromossome coming from their father:

Cinnamon and dom edge .... 50-x/2 % .... visual cinnamon dom edge
Cinnamon .... x/2 % ............................ visual cinnamon
Dom edge .... x/2 % ............................ visual dom edge
Neither cinnamon nor dom edge ... 50-x/2 % .... visual wild type

2. Males : they will inherit one Z chromosome from their mother (cinnamon dom edge) and another Z chromossome from their father:

Cinnamon and dom edge + cinnamon dom edge ... visual cinnamon DF dom edge (50-x/2%)
Cinnamon + cinnamon dom edge .... visual cinnamon SF dom edge (x/2%)
Dom edge + cinnamon dom edge .... visual DF dom edge split cinnamon (x/2%)
Neither cinnamon nor dom edge + cinnamon dom edge .... visual Sf dom edge split cinnamon (50-x/2%).

I hope it is right. Questions?

Regards

Recio
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Well from 4 babies....

One is more an a normal green with dark black wing tips.
Three are seeming a lighter green, with greyish wing tips....

Soooo one female 3 males???
SCB 22

Re: Cinnamon Dom edged female x Green male - link tp pics ad

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Guys,

Pics arent great, and dont show the colour right now, but figured u might want to see the little guys!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 5488739277

please let me know if the link works!

Thanks
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hahahah sorry guys, also added a pic or 2 of the mum, you will see her in 2 pics with my sister, she is the bird on the right obviously. (the turq is male, and i unfortunately no longer have him)

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi SCB,

Hard to say from the pics since the birds are not completely feathered and the focus and ligth is changing ... but dom edge should appear as a ligther green ... so I think that you are right and probably you have 3 males and 1 female. I do not breed this mutation, so I hope that somebody with breeding experience with dom edge could confirm. Madas?

Regards

Recio
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Thank You Recio, much appreciated, yes unfortunately those pics are taken with flash, so you cannot see the difference, but I will def take some pics in natural light this weekend, and also take a few with the flights open on the darker one, and show to compare to the lighter ones, but it is a very definate difference in the flights of the 3 compared to the one. Were you able to see the pictures of the mother?

Madas, would really appreciate any feedback if you get a chance.