Violets

Moderator: Mods

pizzaguru

Violets

Post by pizzaguru »

Hi all,

I have a violet pallid turquoise hen and a violet dark green hen. Couple question, they are sisters, so would the violet dark green have a possible turquoise split in her?. don't know anything about the parents.

Now the genetic question. I think mating cobalt and violets would the best for both?, cost of that is a bit out of reach for now, I can get an albino male, would that make a good pairing for any of these, and what would they produce? Any other suggestions for males I should be look for, to make a good pairing?

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
mikeb

Re: Violets

Post by mikeb »

albino would be a bad choice as ino genes and gray genes can mask the violet color so if you bred them to violet you could have ino or gray looking babies that are really violet colored birds but you wouldn't know until you bred them to see if they are really violet by the babies they produce I would suggest either violet or blue series birds for mates cause violet is a blue series bird and breeding violet to blue will give you both blue and violet babies
pizzaguru

Post by pizzaguru »

Thanks for the reply,

so if I breed both birds with blue, would the violet dark green with blue produce greens only?

and the violet turquoise pallid would produce turguoise blue violets?

Thanks
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

more than likely the violet green bird is split to blue and bred with a blue male you will get blue, violet, green split blue, & violet green split blue babies both males & females. if it is not split blue you will get green split blue, & violet green split blue babies both males & females as for the turquoise violet pallid bred with a blue male you will get turquoise blue & turquoise violet babies & the males will be split pallid
pizzaguru

Post by pizzaguru »

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move along. Heres one, on the genetic calc, how would I put violet, would it be violet(sf) or violet(sf) split blue?
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:If the birds come from unrelated parents then you could mate the siblings. There is sufficient genetic diversity to produce healthy offspring. Often breeders do this. I certainly would. :mrgreen:
I don't think you would pair two girls together. ;)

As said in the first post they are sisters. :D

madas
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

violet (true name violet blue) is a blue series bird so to enter it in the genetic calculator you would have to put in blue & violet as visual, a violet bird cannot be split blue, if you enter visual violet split blue that will be a violet green bird and it can be split blue. when you enter colors in the calc. it will not let you enter splits with colors that can't be split to that gene the calc. seems complicated but it's really simple after you play around with it when you enter colors and get the breeding results it tells you the color of the birds you enter, like if you enter no color for the male and blue for the female the results will tell you that the male is green and the female is blue so just play around with it and learn, it doesn't cost anything and there are no wrong tries
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:
molossus wrote:If the birds come from unrelated parents then you could mate the siblings. There is sufficient genetic diversity to produce healthy offspring. Often breeders do this. I certainly would. :mrgreen:
I don't think you would pair two girls together. ;)

As said in the first post they are sisters. :D

madas
:lol: :lol: :lol:
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

If both hens are siblings then there is still a possibility that the violet green is split to turquoise.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

A bird cannot be split Turquoise, either it is or it isnt.
mallee_1

Post by mallee_1 »

Rod,

What do you breed if you pair a turquoise x green?

I thought all young would be green/turquoise?

Regards Glenn
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

rod038 wrote:A bird cannot be split Turquoise, either it is or it isnt.
That's not true; a bird can indeed be split for turquoise, e.g. green / turquoise. Turquoise is an allele of blue, so whatever holds true for blue, holds true for turquoise.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Sorry I was thinking it was a Violet Blue and not Violet Green. I just re read it.