DF VIolet Green

Moderator: Mods

hammadahsan

DF VIolet Green

Post by hammadahsan »

I am soon getting a DF Violet Green (both parents are Violet Greens)
not sure if its a male or female because it is less than 2 years old

so what would be a good pairing if its a male or a female

Thanks
madas

Re: DF VIolet Green

Post by madas »

I would pair the bird to a violet cobalt. So you have the chance to get a violet(DF)dark green or if the bird you is split for blue to get a violet(DF)cobalt.
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

I tried using the GenCalc for IRN's but from most of the pairings i am only getting violetgreen DF's and SF's visuals

like i said before, both of his/her parents for violet greens, so he/she is not split to anything

oh and i live in canada, finding violets here is hard, nobody wants to sell the rarer mutations, and a SF violet blue pair is around $2000, let alone cobalts or DF violets
seldom chance i find those

a person is selling me a grey cleartail (no spits) hen though, would that be a good pairing or would the grey hide the violet

let me know of anyother pairings you can think of with resulting babies

Hammad
madas

Post by madas »

Hi,

yeah you have written that your bird is out of violetgreen x violetgreen. But most violetgreens or darkgreen are supposed to be split for blue. So chances are good that your bird could be split blue. So to test whether your bird is split for blue or not you have to pair the bird to a blue series bird. If all is fine you will get some blue series birds out of this couple. If not then you will get violetgreen birds which are 100% split for blue so you can start to breed visual violets out of this offspring birds.

So try to find a blue, cobalt, violet or violet cobalt.

Grey isn't a option because it is hiding violet nearly complete.

regarding hard to get violets in Canada: If i remember correct one of the Benton brothers should live in Canada. He and his brother have breed the first DF violets ever produced. His website was http://members.shaw.ca/viringneck/ but it seems it is dead. Perhaps you are able to find him. I tried google and found this contact data. But i am unsure if they are still up to date:

Brent Benton
Courtney, BC
(250)337-2026

greetings.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

My advice would be to pair the most expensive blue series bird you can afford with it, i.e. blue, cobalt, violet, violet cobalt, DF violet, etc. If the budget is tight (as it can be after purchasing a DF violet green!), then try to at least go for a cobalt. And of course, there is absolutely no reason not to combine mutations, i.e. cobalt cleartail, cobalt clearhead, cobalt pallid, etc. Therefore, a counter question would be, what mutations can you get your hands on?
molossus wrote:Get a violet blue preferably in dominant edged...
Are you developing a fancy for edged birds? :)
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

Yeah will find atleast a violet blue for this bird after i have him sexed

so are you positive that he/she is split to blue, or should i breed him to another blue IRN to see if he does carry the gene?

@Johan: no i got him as a hand tame baby for 350 so i still have a budget to spend around
rod038

Post by rod038 »

It is not 100% that this bird will be split Blue but pairing it to a Violet Blue will tell you the same as pairing it to a Blue so you may as well use a Violet Blue.

What makes you think it is a Double factor Violet Green?
hammadahsan

Post by hammadahsan »

the breeder told me that both parents were SF violet greens, and on the ad it says the parents were DARK GREEN VIOlETS
he didnt tell me if it really was a DF though

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-birds-f ... Z404046790
rod038

Post by rod038 »

There is a 25% chance that it is. Again you will learn more about your bird when you breed it.