Is this considered normal green?

Moderator: Mods

ashellina

Is this considered normal green?

Post by ashellina »

I am not sure if my new baby is male or female. Also he/she is more diluted and has alot more yellow than my green male. Both the baby's parents are blue oddly enough. She has no he/blue in her tail like my male either.Image[imghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GBQeoTO0Gac/UAGUBiGu5WI/AAAAAAAAACo/n7Be_4CTBpc/s912/IMAG0651.jpg][/img][imghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uNk-FJAxeXw/UAGUKQKpOhI/AAAAAAAAAEc/AzX1CrZsSis/s912/IMAG0664.jpg][/img]
ashellina

Re: Is this considered normal green?

Post by ashellina »

Better pic of coloring maybe...Image
I am sending off for dna next week. To find out sex. Open to any guesses from the experts here!
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I'm not an expert , but I do not believe it is possible for two blue parents to produce a green. My guess is a cinnamon gray green, or a cinnamon olive. Can't wait for everyone else to chime in :)
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

Thanks for the response. My husband bought her for me. He said both parents were blue. There was one blue baby, one normal green like my older male, then two like the one he bought me. He chose this one cause it was the sweetest so he assumed it was a girl and he didn't want another male. lol
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

What colour are the birds flight feathers when the wings are long?

Regards
Carmen
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

Brownish green like the long tail feather.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I would say possibly a cinnamon green or perhaps a golden cherry. If you google thomas river birds, a site should come up with mutations of ringnecks, in there it has a whole lot of images of birds, cinnamon green and golden cherry are some of them. You should be able to get a better image there and compare with some of the pictures as you will be able to see the proper shades of green.
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I will check it out. Thank you so much!!
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

ok deleted my last post because I was wrong, apparently cinnamon dominate edge dilute -fallow cinnamon would be the best match. The colors are identical. Thank you so much for all your replies. I am now going to be sending off dna I really want to know if male or female.
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

Looks like olive to me and female:)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Its not an olive bird, colouring is too light and tail feather is the wrong colour. Another good place to check out is http://www.home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculawo ... rameri.htm
Gives a wonderful breakdown on colours and examples
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

If the link does not work try using a search engine with some of those key words.
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I originally thought Olive too and my bet is still on female. She is just so darn sweet. If I went by that website Opaline would be the best match color wise. I am just so confused by all this. I am still really curious how two blue birds would have babies this color... Its become an obsession trying to figure out colors and mutations. I am not a breeder, don't want to be. I just LOVE my birds and want to know as much about them as possible. I am trying to figure out why he/she is the color he/she is.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

If he/she is an opaline the biggest draw card would be to see the flight feathers when they grow out. I do agree with angel though in the sense that both parents cannot be blue. Green is a dominant colour so one of the parents would have to be green.
Here are some images of my golden cherry male. They were taken with my phone though so aren't very clear. If I get a chance to take one with my camera this afternoon I will do so.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The last one he is with his lutino mate.

Have a look in the cinnamon series on that site. There is a cinnamon greygreen male there. I am not sure if your birds flight feathers are that dark. If they are more the colour of the brownish tail feather in the picture I am leaning more toward goldencherry.

Hope we can figure it out :) Or if a more experienced breeder could give us a better answer
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

The breeder when I called for more info like birthdate and diet said that both parents were blue. My husband said he saw both blue parents. I dont know why she would hide a green parent... She did state she usually will always have a grey baby but did not with this clutch... instead came two the color of mine. The flight feathers are a brownish green color. I hope a breeder is able to answer on this aswell. Thank you! You also have beautiful birds!!
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

The breeder is giving you incorrect information. I'm sure he does have a blue pair especially since your husband saw them. But it is impossible to get a green from 2 blues, so you are dealing with a dishonest person. You have one of two mutations... Dark green cinnamon or cinnamon olive.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I agree with Mcmillin that it could be a golden cherry also. This mutation is also reffered to as cinnamon grey-green, which us what I am familiar with. Looking at the pics that Mcmillin posted and taking into consideration that the grey greens are more common than the dark factor mutations, odds are that it is a golden cherry / cinnamon grey.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Here is a clearer picture of my golden cherry. The sun is shining through his tail feathers though so the centre feather looks lighter than what it is. In the shade it looks like your birds feathers.

The sad thing is there are dishonest people out there, or maybe a simple mistake of getting babies mixed up between the different pairs.
I know when I am in the middle of breeding season and rearing 4 different pairs offsping I place them in different boxes and label them. Some place all the babies in one box, brooder or tank.
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

I could see how that would happen... Yours looks alot like mine... Its nice to see how pretty mine will be when "she" matures. I feel better atleast knowing what color "she" is considered. Although a beautiful baby I cant wait for "her" to be all grown up and see "her" personality... Bluffing is the game right now... Alot of snapping and growling (yes growling) yet no follow through... I find it amusing.
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

McmillanBirds wrote:Here is a clearer picture of my golden cherry. The sun is shining through his tail feathers though so the centre feather looks lighter than what it is. In the shade it looks like your birds feathers.
wow... very beautiful boy.... love the color
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thanks myrka2004. I got him from a breeder when he was 18months old. She had tried to pair him to am older female whose mate had died, but she put him in the females avairy when she was already in and that had been her home for a few years. She had attacked him pretty badly and had a piece of the back of his head pecked. The skin and feathers had apparently been taken off. When I got him, the feathers had just started to grow back. If you look closely you will see they still stick up a little skew, but he is happy and healthy, and they have given me 2years of beautiful babies and all their eggs are fertile.
Regards
Carmen
ashellina

Post by ashellina »

He is beautiful! I am very greatfull for all you helping me sort this out!!!
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Ashellina

Your girl/boy is very beautiful too. We are all here to help each other on this site :) and learn, and we learn every day!! :) All the best with your little one :)

Carmen
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

McmillanBirds wrote:Here is a clearer picture of my golden cherry. The sun is shining through his tail feathers though so the centre feather looks lighter than what it is. In the shade it looks like your birds feathers.

The sad thing is there are dishonest people out there, or maybe a simple mistake of getting babies mixed up between the different pairs.
I know when I am in the middle of breeding season and rearing 4 different pairs offsping I place them in different boxes and label them. Some place all the babies in one box, brooder or tank.
Your boy there also look like mine... there I was started tread http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15533 (if you not remember me :wink: ) :D
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Pic of your boy/girl looks alot like what my female is, and the experts here came to the conslucion my female is cinnamon green dom edge (or green cinnamon dom edge, which ever way around its meant to be not 100% sure if it makes any difference)!!